U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 04:53 AM

21,306 posts, read 24,427,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
This individual misrepresentated a material fact upon admission. Thus he committed fraud and is subject to deportation and having his visa cancelled.

Get rid of him. He is a legal nightmare.
That's an absolutely ridiculous statement since you have no idea at all that he committed any kind of immigration fraud. Unless, that is, you have a crystal ball which divulges all ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 AM

5,418 posts, read 7,406,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
This individual misrepresentated a material fact upon admission. Thus he committed fraud and is subject to deportation and having his visa cancelled.

Get rid of him. He is a legal nightmare.
What do you base this statement on? Do we know if the young couple had planned to get married? Do we know what applications have been filed if any at all? What facts do we have in hand besides some hear-say?

Old 04-17-2012, 02:52 PM

5,995 posts, read 5,055,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
Thanks for the responses so far. I spent last night with my SO to discuss the whole situation and how it doesn't sit well with me. My reasoning was that I didn't think the niece and her BF were being honest about the kind of visa he received, since the following process didn't coincide with someone who would come in on a Tourist Visa.

We think he came in on a Fiancee visa, since some months ago niece asked SO if she could fill out some kind of "Financial Responsibility" form (SO declined). Also, three months ago niece received a piece of mail from USCIS and said her "petition" was approved.

But wait, doesn't a person arriving on a Tourist Visa NOT need a petitioner?

Niece and her BF are currently traveling around the midwest this week since it's spring break for her. They return on Wednesday, and I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt of being honest, so am I out of line by asking to see his passport once he comes home? (my reason for this is that I read the Visa is affixed to the passport).
Don't put yourself and your SO in the position of harboring an illegal immigrant....and it sounds as if this niece is steering you right to that destination.

Tell 'em: Not legal, not here. And boot him out.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
No I don't agree.

I don't think you're looking at this entirely objectively.

You've described someone who's 19 or thereabouts, how much do you think he knows about US immigration, considering he's British? Do you believe he went and researched the visa types just so he could snow you? The fact he's stating he's got a B-2 (which does NOT require a return booking) and it by default lasts for 6 months lends credance to the claim. Most commonly people from the UK come under the VWP. This would mean he did not have a visa, just and entry record, and he's not to know you would know you need a return booking to be eligible for the VWP or he could just tell you to mind your own business. I think you need to step back and regain a little perspective on this.
Let him move in with you.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
I see. So based on your explanation, I have nothing to do with any of this, as this involves Mike, Melissa, and my SO. I'm just the sucker that happened to take them in.
He is a guest in your home. If he isn't willing to verify the legality of his status in this country by showing you his documents, then he's worn out his welcome.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
He is a guest in your home. If he isn't willing to verify the legality of his status in this country by showing you his documents, then he's worn out his welcome.
And why would that be? The young man in question is not "an illegal immigrant". You know not of what you speak.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,602,481 times
Who owns the house in which all of you live?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 PM

287 posts, read 261,529 times
I own it. We both pay the mortgage, but the title is under my name.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And why would that be? The young man in question is not "an illegal immigrant". You know not of what you speak.
He is a foreign guest in someone's home.

The host finds his stories of how and why he is in this country suspicious.

The host has every right in the world to know what his guest's visa status is and to see it.

And the guest has every right to refuse to show it and leave.

It is a matter of finding out what his status is at present, and how long he is entitled to stay in the U.S.

Get it?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
He is a foreign guest in someone's home.

The host finds his stories of how and why he is in this country suspicious.

The host has every right in the world to know what his guest's visa status is and to see it.

And the guest has every right to refuse to show it and leave.

It is a matter of finding out what his status is at present, and how long he is entitled to stay in the U.S.

Get it?
I "get" what your opinion is but disagree with you that the young man's status is any business of his host. What next - you go to rent an apartment and before you can sign a lease you have to show proof of citizenship or legal resident status? An employer needs to know an applicant's status because there are severe penalties for hiring someone ineligible to work in the US.

This is purely a domestic matter and has nothing whatsoever to do with "harboring an illegal immigrant" as your fantasy seems to suggest it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration