Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
An update:

We called Mike and asked him what kind of Visa he got. He said it is a B2 Visa.

We asked what kind of plane ticket he bought. He said it was a one-way.

When we told him we thought the POE officer wouldn't let him in since a one-way ticket doesn't show intent of returning to the UK, he said that his stay was good for six months and he didn't have to buy one before he came.

Mike also said that he just didn't see the point of buying a return ticket if he was going to get a work Visa or adjustment of status.

This all stinks of possessing that K1 Visa. Of course we didn't tell him what we thought and just acted dumb and said "OK, see ya when you get home. Enjoy your trip".

His answers just don't add up. Wouldn't you agree?
No I don't agree.

I don't think you're looking at this entirely objectively.

You've described someone who's 19 or thereabouts, how much do you think he knows about US immigration, considering he's British? Do you believe he went and researched the visa types just so he could snow you? The fact he's stating he's got a B-2 (which does NOT require a return booking) and it by default lasts for 6 months lends credance to the claim. Most commonly people from the UK come under the VWP. This would mean he did not have a visa, just and entry record, and he's not to know you would know you need a return booking to be eligible for the VWP or he could just tell you to mind your own business. I think you need to step back and regain a little perspective on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 07:49 AM

297 posts, read 740,623 times
I let him stay in my house. All I ask is for a bit of honesty. If they said they were going to get married, fine, then they should have said so before they put the wheels in motion.

I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt then and not ask for proof of any any kind. I'm just going to take him on his word that he will apply for a change of status within two months of his arrival and get that work visa he promised to get.

How hard is that to get? And what kind of process is involved?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:05 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
I let him stay in my house. All I ask is for a bit of honesty. If they said they were going to get married, fine, then they should have said so before they put the wheels in motion.

I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt then and not ask for proof of any any kind. I'm just going to take him on his word that he will apply for a change of status within two months of his arrival and get that work visa he promised to get.

This seems to be more of a relationship/emotional issue than one of immigration. Whatever sort of a visa he has or doesn't have, what is it to you? If you're not happy having him living in your house (I assume it's your house?) then ask him to leave. If he's not paying rent or anything towards the household expenses then make the necessary adjustments so he does and, if he can't, then he'll have to move on.

You're making an awful lot of assumptions when you really have no clue at all what's going on. You seem to be forgetting that you're dealing with two adults (neither of whom is related to you) who don't need either your permission or your blessing to do whatever they want to do. Your business only extends to whether or not you're the owner (or lessee) of the property and have been extending goodwill accommodation to them which you now want to change; or their welcomes have been overstayed and you want them to leave. All the rest simply isn't any of your business.

If you're interested in the visa/immigration process, the link to USCIS has been provided and you can easily find out the answers to your questions from there. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 AM

I see. So based on your explanation, I have nothing to do with any of this, as this involves Mike, Melissa, and my SO. I'm just the sucker that happened to take them in.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:07 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
I see. So based on your explanation, I have nothing to do with any of this, as this involves Mike, Melissa, and my SO. I'm just the sucker that happened to take them in.
I can't control what you read into anything, and whatever is the personal relationship between you, Mike, Melissa and your SO is none of my business. You're obviously upset about this situation and I'm just reminding you of a few relevant facts which you might need to separate from one another in order to deal with the whole. I'm sure you don't want to force a confrontation here but if it comes to that you need to know where the lines are drawn, what you can fairly and reasonably ask for and what's out of bounds. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the advice. Obviously you can see that I've "jumped the gun" in some of my responses.

Enjoy the islands!

Old 04-15-2012, 01:47 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
...he will apply for a change of status within two months of his arrival and get that work visa he promised to get.

Unless he marries? Practically impossible.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:32 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
It involves the young couple. You have nothing to do with their relationship and his legal status. Unfortunately your posts sound like there is another issue in your house. I am not sure what to call it - trust, communication, caring, love, raising a child versus niece, snooping, hiding ... Do you expect daily thanks for taking "them" respectively "her" in?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
This individual misrepresentated a material fact upon admission. Thus he committed fraud and is subject to deportation and having his visa cancelled.

Get rid of him. He is a legal nightmare.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:39 PM

831 posts, read 680,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
This individual misrepresentated a material fact upon admission. Thus he committed fraud and is subject to deportation and having his visa cancelled.

Get rid of him. He is a legal nightmare.

2nd that....

They may have gone off for that marriage thing ur talking about.

And whether you own the house or not with your SO, it is your home and disposition nonetheless, i'd say he's a crafty little gitt and yes, taking you for a sucker. MOD CUT

GL with that..

Last edited by Rance; 04-18-2012 at 11:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration