U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 12:37 AM
yfm yfm started this thread

2 posts, read 15,832 times

Advertisements

Hello:
I have a question that I kept searching the net for it and did not find a clear answer.

I am Lebanese citizen by birth. I am also a naturalized Canadian. In short, I carry the Lebanese and Canadian Citizenship. I have been working for a U.S. firm overseas (neither Lebanon or Canada) for quite a while. They asked me to move to their headquarters in the U.S. They issued to me an L1 Visa. Most likely, they will apply for a green card to me sometimes as they intend to keep me in the headquarters.

My question is if I get a green card and continued to work in the U.S. for the period required to make me eligible for applying to the U.S. citizenship, will I need to lose (officially renounce) my Canadian citizenship or I can still be a dual (perhaps in my case a triple) citizen. I checked my Canadian status, acquiring a new citizenship will not affect my Canadian citizenship. I am asking here about acquiring the U.S. citizenship while I am already a Lebanese/Canadian citizen.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 04:16 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,033,838 times
That is fine. I am a Swiss (by birth), Irish (my living there) and, as of last year, US (by marriage) citizen. My kids have all three citizenships too.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,735,794 times
There are a lot of US citizens that are also citizens of another country so I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:42 PM

13 posts, read 28,107 times
I don't think the US sees it as a problem if you have more than 2 citizenships. I know several people who have 3.
You might want to check with the Lebanese embassy though. I am a German citizen by birth and I found out that the german government does not like people to have 2 citizenships and I stand to loose my German citizenship if I become American, unless I file an application to retain it beforehand (before becoming American). I would definitly loose my German citizenship if I had 2 others beside it, even though I am German by birth.

So while the US doesn't have an issue, and neither does Canada you'd better also check with the country of your birth, just in case.
Good luck with the new job!

Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM

24,671 posts, read 55,543,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tansu View Post
I don't think the US sees it as a problem if you have more than 2 citizenships.
The US actually does have a problem with it as the Oath of Allegiance which is required to be taken by all new citizens is pretty clear:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen ... "

Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 PM
yfm yfm started this thread

2 posts, read 15,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The US actually does have a problem with it as the Oath of Allegiance which is required to be taken by all new citizens is pretty clear:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen ... "
I read about the Oath. All my research shows that pledge is in the oath, there is no legal means to effect it. I mean that the U.S. Government will not deny you the citizenship because you carry another citizenship. Also the U.S. Government will not ask you to legally renounce your current citizenship to acquire the U.S. Perhaps the oath is interpreted to reflect your behavior and attitude after you acquire the U.S. citizenship.

I am not worried about the Lebanese citizenship. They basically don't care. You are just a Lebanese for them even if you acquire all the citizenship of all the world.

My question is for those carrying more than one citizenship other than the U.S. when the U.S. citizenship was the last to acquire, is it a matter of "don't ask don't tell" or the U.S. Government don't care. In other words did the issue go peacefully because the U.S. Government officially was not aware you are carrying another citizenship by naturalization before acquiring the U.S., did not bother to ask, or it simply does not affect the process even if they have on records that you have other two citizenship?

The reason I am asking is when processing the application for the work visa, the company clearly mentioned that I am Lebanese/Canadian based on the documents they have in file. Also when processing the visa application prior the interview, it asks me if I have other citizenship and if Yes, if I carry another passport and if Yes what is its number? I definitely don't want to lie or hide information when I am explicitly asked in an official document.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:24 AM

The likelihood of your obtaining US citizenship is many years away but, as you can see from the oath you take as a new citizen it's intent is understood. Several of my friends who became US citizens over the years but maintained their former citizenship decided to "mumble" through that portion of the oath! Your situation is not one I'd be concerned about. Many people carry dual and even triple citizenships and have no issues with that. Don't ask don't tell seems appropriate but of course don't lie on an application form for a visa or for citizenship.

Again, from visa to GC to citizenship isn't something which happens overnight so take one step at a time. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 AM

11,689 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The likelihood of your obtaining US citizenship is many years away but, as you can see from the oath you take as a new citizen it's intent is understood. Several of my friends who became US citizens over the years but maintained their former citizenship decided to "mumble" through that portion of the oath! Your situation is not one I'd be concerned about. Many people carry dual and even triple citizenships and have no issues with that. Don't ask don't tell seems appropriate but of course don't lie on an application form for a visa or for citizenship.

Again, from visa to GC to citizenship isn't something which happens overnight so take one step at a time. Good luck.
Mumbling does not change anything:>) The US does not recognize additional citizenships but other countries do. It means leaving and entering the US with US documentation and doing so at the other party with the respective ID. Germany requires an application.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Mumbling does not change anything:>) The US does not recognize additional citizenships but other countries do. It means leaving and entering the US with US documentation and doing so at the other party with the respective ID. Germany requires an application.
The mumbling was done tongue in cheek (pun intended) and was merely done to assuage any little personal shred of guilt.

It does make international travel easier when you can avoid the inevitably congested "visa line" by switching passports!

Old 06-05-2012, 02:13 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,663,483 times
One prominent member of Congress (who was a candidate for the GOP nomination until she bowed out early on) had dual citizenship. She was already a U.S. citizen when she acquired Swiss citizenship (her hubby was originally Swiss and she said she acquired Swiss citizneship when one of her kids wanted to). So she didn't have to renounce all other allegiances, but did pledge loyalty to Switzerland when she was already an American citizen. One does need to be careful when traveling overseas, to use the right passport.

Here's what the Department of State says about dual nationality US State Department Services Dual Nationality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration