Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 06:37 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Not with a B2.
Yes with a B2. I have a friend who works for CBP. He said what a great relief it was not to have to worry about those things anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:08 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Yes with a B2. I have a friend who works for CBP. He said what a great relief it was not to have to worry about those things anymore.
Strangely a number of US states issue drivers licenses with I94 plus respective other documents required.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Strangely a number of US states issue drivers licenses with I94 plus respective other documents required.
Some states or Canadian provinces issue an enhanced driver's license which is valid for driving across the border. Only CBP issued I-94's. No state has the authority to issue I-94's. The I-94 is electronic at airports. Some land border crossing points still issue paper I-94's but that will fade with time.

The enhanced driver's license is valid only for US citizens or Canadian citizens. Landed immigrants of Canada or legal permanent residents of the US still have to have passports to cross the border in conjunction with their resident cards.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
You do not get 6 months every time you enter the US. You get time remaining from previous entry. Not another 6 months. Common misconception.
Would you please do some research? Thank you. B2 can be issued by immigration officer at point of entry for a period of up to 180 days; it can be extended in country by another 180 days. Rule of thumb is 180 in 180 out but one hears from travelers who reenter within a short period without problems.
Friends got their drivers license two weeks ago with their I94 which is paper:>)

Old 12-24-2013, 03:21 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,149,074 times
a B2 is for six months in every 12 , so if you stay for 180 you need to spend 180 out..if you stay for 120 you can come back for 60, there are circumstances where it CAN be extended for another 180 but this isn't a given. its a visa that a lot of people who want to winter in Florida use......you CANNOT work on a B2.

I94s are paper only now for land entries...otherwise its done electronically BUT for licenses etc you can go online and print off a copy of your I94

Old 12-25-2013, 05:08 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedPotato View Post
Hi all,
I'm planning to apply again for a new US tourist visa and this time I'd like to stay for a few months and rent an apartment for that time. (alone or with a roomate)

I've heard that it doesn't matter if you have a tourist visa for 10years , the maximum stay is 6months,
and also it doesn't matter if it is 6 months , because the officer at the customs decides for how long you can stay (not sure exacltly how , cannot find my expired passport to see the stamp or whatever the officer wrote)

so I'd like to stay 4-5 months, but now I'm not sure will I be allowed to stay for that long, or the customs will allow me an entrance for a week or two?
6 months, but you can get a new 6-month visa by crossing into Canada or Mexico, and re-entering.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:23 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
6 months, but you can get a new 6-month visa by crossing into Canada or Mexico, and re-entering.
You're answering the OP who posted over a year ago. Since then there have been a few other questions added on by other posters. Nonetheless, the information you're giving isn't correct and even trying to circumnavigate the system by attempting it will raise huge red flags ...

Old 12-26-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
a) You cannot get a visa by any means but an application.
b) In most cases B2 is valid for 10 years and the immigration officer at point of entry can allow up to 180 days in the US.
c) Re-entry within the continental US does count as re-entry.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Some states or Canadian provinces issue an enhanced driver's license which is valid for driving across the border. Only CBP issued I-94's. No state has the authority to issue I-94's. The I-94 is electronic at airports. Some land border crossing points still issue paper I-94's but that will fade with time.

The enhanced driver's license is valid only for US citizens or Canadian citizens. Landed immigrants of Canada or legal permanent residents of the US still have to have passports to cross the border in conjunction with their resident cards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum
"Landed immigrants of Canada or legal permanent residents of the US still have to have passports to cross the border in conjunction with their resident cards."

Nope, a Legal Permanent Resident can cross into the U.S. with just their Resident Card, and no passport:

"A foreign national or alien entering the U.S. is generally required to present a passport and valid visa issued by a U.S. Consular Official, unless they are a citizen of a country eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, or are a lawful permanent resident of the U.S. or a citizen of Canada."

IBMMuseum
If they are traveling by air, passports are required. Driving, LPR cards are all that's needed. Try getting around the airlines without a passport and just a green card. They will deny boarding before they get to CBP preclearance officers. That is their protocol. CBP will not interfere with airline protocol. Any alien LPR that is traveling from a country not with a contiguous border with the US by air will have to have a passport regardless if they have a green card. Black letter law.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,872 times
i have 2year visa (B1-B2)on my passport from south Africa, with a Nigerian passport. i've stayed 4months and 2weeks out of the 6months. please i need your best advice as i would like to stay more to do some productions. i really like it here, in america, and i have a lot to contribute to the economy of this lovely country i don't want to be an illegal immigrant please help me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration