Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 138,014 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm planning to apply again for a new US tourist visa and this time I'd like to stay for a few months and rent an apartment for that time. (alone or with a roomate)

I've heard that it doesn't matter if you have a tourist visa for 10years , the maximum stay is 6months,
and also it doesn't matter if it is 6 months , because the officer at the customs decides for how long you can stay (not sure exacltly how , cannot find my expired passport to see the stamp or whatever the officer wrote)

so I'd like to stay 4-5 months, but now I'm not sure will I be allowed to stay for that long, or the customs will allow me an entrance for a week or two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 04:14 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
Normally, you are given the max stay, which is 6 months. However, if the immigration officer at the border is suspicious of you (such as thinks you don't have the funds to stay 6 months without working illegally), they may give you less. Similarly, if you have spent a lot of time in the USA lately, especially in the last year, they may give you less (generally, you can't stay more than 6 months in any rolling year- so if you've just come back from 5 months in the US last month, they are unlikely to give you another 6 when you travel back this month).

Old 09-27-2012, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 138,014 times
I've been for a week in NYC in March 2011. and for two weeks in Houston in 2006. that's it. Now It's time for the west coast.
I have a house, >50k in the bank, and a company (with my father) , so I think that's enough proof that I'll come back home.
Don't plan to work illegally or anything of that matter, rent for few months won't be much and money won't be a problem.
I guess I'll have to bring the employment and bank statement documents with me , so I won't have to rely on the officers judgement..
now I see that the form I-94 is also used , I forgot about it , I guess that's the form where you write the exact period of time you're planning to stay in the US.

Last edited by NakedPotato; 09-27-2012 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 09-28-2012, 06:30 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
For tourist visa, it will be great if you have return ticket also. even if your return ticket is of say after 4 months, they usually write 6 months period on your I-94 card.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 68,791 times
I just stay 5months in the usa and would like to go back after 1month?would it be possible?or it will be a big problem that the immigration will ask me to go back and will not be admitted?Im so scared of what will happen to me?can you suggest things or information of what can i do to my problem?I need to go back again to attend a very important occassion..please help tnk u

Old 11-13-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhalhor View Post
I just stay 5months in the usa and would like to go back after 1month?
Before that 5 months, when were you in the USA last and for how long?
If the 5 months was the only time you've been in the USA in the last couple of years, and you only want to go for a week or two for that important occasion, you will probably be alright (bring the return ticket for 2 weeks later, and an invite to the occasion). If you have been in the USA a lot over the last two years, or want to stay longer than a couple of weeks this time, you may run into difficulties.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 PM

17 posts, read 96,262 times
Default does the 6 months renew when u leave

I have 10 year visa.I have residence in canada.Came with boss from Canada to florida to work for 4 month.Went back to Canada,then came back to Florida for a week,but now i want to go home to Dominican Republic for 2 week and then come back to usa.Why did they tell me at border,i can only stay until june?What about my tourist visa, doesn't the 6 months renew each time you leave the country?

Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godguidemeplease! View Post
I have 10 year visa.I have residence in canada.Came with boss from Canada to florida to work for 4 month.Went back to Canada,then came back to Florida for a week,but now i want to go home to Dominican Republic for 2 week and then come back to usa.Why did they tell me at border,i can only stay until june?What about my tourist visa, doesn't the 6 months renew each time you leave the country?
You are already breeching your B1/2 visa by working on it; you cna attend meetings, conferences etc but you are not supposed to be working on it.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
If you are from a Visa Waiver country, it's just 3 months. But then there is no application involved except for the ESTA.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:33 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
There is no resetting any time clock regarding entering the US. Typically, you get 6 months at entry. but if you leave for a week or two, the officer at his discretion may limit your stay or refuse you entry if other material facts exist that you are taking up redience in the US without authorization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration