Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T146 View Post
I have to admit that my frustration at some of the posts on this thread led to me be hasty about some of the things I said or in the way I said it.
The problem is that the facts that you presented in your first post are not correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T146 View Post
I work with a man from the UK who is here on a green card and he told me that it only took three months for him to receive it while he was still across the pond.
And again, you do very little to get a factual answer. In your first post you talk about the difficulty of becoming a US Citizen, now you talk about a UK person becoming a Legal Permanent Resident. Those are two different things. And you do not tell us what kind of visum he has, and you ignore the fact that the immigratiom services has a serious backlog of work.

If you really want help, begin by giving all the relevant facts and second, do not mix things up.

Last edited by HockeyAndRugby; 08-12-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 10:29 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
In order to move to the US, my American husband had to prove that he can sponsor me. Had to file lots of paperwork.

I had to go through extensive medical exams with aids test, lung xrays, diabetes tests, several interviews - and that before I even put one foot into the US. It took me 6 months to get my spousal VISA.

I come from a good country (Germany) but still had to jump through many hoops and had to be super healthy while others just walk across the border. So me spending lots of time, effort and $$$ sounds a bit like a joke.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,531 times
This obvious predictable Irish with his rubbish and also obvious hatred of non white folk, clearly doesn't know it is legal for you and your boyfriend to get married and the process of him getting an ID relys on the consulate of his country which immigration consulate actually place their conferences in the US to make this possible to be provide to those to those in need of an ID. The process for your boyfriend is he need to look them up, ask and bring any documents he has with him most important is birth certificate, and attend his appointment and process takes from 2-5 hours and he'll walk right out with his Guatemalan ID which is valid to be accepted at a superior court for a marriage license. Which then you to are able to be hitched from that day to 2 months from the day you recieved your marriage licence. Good luck to you, and also don't like people who don't have anything bettet to do but put people down ruin your plans. God Bless because god never judge skin nor religion.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:53 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly2292 View Post
This obvious predictable Irish with his rubbish and also obvious hatred of non white folk, clearly doesn't know it is legal for you and your boyfriend to get married and the process of him getting an ID relys on the consulate of his country which immigration consulate actually place their conferences in the US to make this possible to be provide to those to those in need of an ID. The process for your boyfriend is he need to look them up, ask and bring any documents he has with him most important is birth certificate, and attend his appointment and process takes from 2-5 hours and he'll walk right out with his Guatemalan ID which is valid to be accepted at a superior court for a marriage license. Which then you to are able to be hitched from that day to 2 months from the day you recieved your marriage licence.
There have been two posters here talking about their illegal boyfriend. The OP is probably long gone, the other has not shown herself in several days. Which one are you referring to?

The problem with your advice is that someone who is in the US illegally has an overstay and is currently residing in the US illegally. That is a fact that is not easily forgiven. The person sponsoring the boyfriend also needs to make enough money to meet the requirements or find co sponsors.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 3,721 times
I'm not the OP but the other poster with the illegal boyfriend. He was let our of detention for prosecutorial discretion. That means that one of the prosecutors for ICE said that he is not a threat and doesn't have a criminal record. The immigration judge took that into consideration and just released him. He is still illegal and now carries around a piece of paper that identifies him and let's authorities know that his case with ICE is closed.

The problem with this is that it really doesn't solve anything. He can't work. The only way he can get a work permit is if we get married which can happen here in the US, then I would have to submit a form to ICE proving hardship if he does not work. I do make enough money to qualify for this and to "sponser" him add some people call it.

Right now, for the mean time we have decided to wait to get married so we can do it nicely (not in my lawyers office) and continue enjoying getting to know each other.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,216 times
ok well my boyfriend is also illegal but he was only 5 years old when he came to the states his parents brought him and it wasnt his choice. So there's no way that can be used as an excuse to back up why he is here and needs citezenship?

Old 02-25-2015, 07:12 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
So tired of this whole immigration mess. ANYONE here illegally should be deported period.

Old 02-26-2015, 04:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelym247 View Post
ok well my boyfriend is also illegal but he was only 5 years old when he came to the states his parents brought him and it wasnt his choice. So there's no way that can be used as an excuse to back up why he is here and needs citezenship?
Best to consult an immigration lawyer.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:56 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatchi1 View Post
I am in a relationship with an illegal immigrant and would one day like to marry him. He walked into the U.S. and has been here for 3 years. I called the courthouse to see what information he would need to be able to get married and she said he would need a state ID. So I called my local DVM and asked how does he obtain a state ID and she said he would have to have an I-94 stamp on his passport. but because he walked over here he does not have that stamp. Is there a way he can get a U.S. passport with the I-4 stamp on it? all he has is his Guatemalan passport ( which is like a Guatemalan ID).

Sweetie,
He can't because he is what we call, an illegal criminal. We're a country built on law and order to be respected by all, the fact, he doesn't care about our laws, our ways, our people or our country, he should be locked up immediately, but fear not, we have 750 new recruits that are a part of our Para military (BOTAC) boarder patrol teams heading south by April 15th , this time when he tries again, he'll be arrested on the spot. You crack me up, you actually think this walker is puling the wool over US ?

keep looking over your shoulders for ICE..

Old 03-06-2015, 09:02 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
In order to move to the US, my American husband had to prove that he can sponsor me. Had to file lots of paperwork.

I had to go through extensive medical exams with aids test, lung xrays, diabetes tests, several interviews - and that before I even put one foot into the US. It took me 6 months to get my spousal VISA.

I come from a good country (Germany) but still had to jump through many hoops and had to be super healthy while others just walk across the border. So me spending lots of time, effort and $$$ sounds a bit like a joke.

You'll never be a joke, your a good American citizen, like ones who built our great nation, you did it the right way. Thank you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration