Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 11:58 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times

Advertisements

Positive feedback: God bless the Irish and the Poles, the Jews the Dutch and Italians, etc, that came over on ships and made a brief stop at Elis Island. My great grandparents came from Ireland when nobody would hire the Irish. My husbands family from Romania came here as well. We are a nation of migrants, no doubt about it. We have done so for the most part legally and took our turns in a long line. I have no problem with legal immigration at all. The Mexicans that have stood in line and come through the gates legally have brought us some of the finest cusine on the planet. They brought us art and music, great doctors, nurses and judges. We will not be a nation any longer to welcome people from around the world if we do not stop the illegal immigration now. Sweden has strict immigration rules as does Austrailia. Why are we not allowed to screen the people coming here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 01:48 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,182 times
Well I for one know that there are alot of great things that come with LEGAL immigration, me being one of them Seriously though, my family migrated from different European countries, contributed to our country in positive ways ie: serving in the military and fighting in several wars..and just being hard working, upstanding "American Citizens"..they assimilated when they arrived, learned the language and became American..that's why I can call myself an American without a hyphen.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:27 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Some postings deleted because we have multiple threads which provide avenues for concerns or negative comments (and replies to those comments). A "positive comment only" thread seems reasonable.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:55 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I have met and am engaged to a lady from my ancestral homeland. After 16 years of being single...to me thats a big positive!

Old 05-16-2008, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
We've had so much unchecked immigration into the US, both legal and illegal, at this point I can't really see any positive in it at all. Immigrants shouldn't be allowed in a nation just because the nation can do something for them like impove the immigrants quality of life. Immigrants should only be allowed in if they can do something for the country they want to immigrate to. The immigration laws of the United States currently emphasize family ties, which has resulted in tens and tens of millions of needy people pouring across our border, and fewer contributers.

I would say that well educated contributing immigrants, like doctors for example, would be a very positive thing. But even the educated immigrants shouldn't be here if they are taking jobs Americans want and need. Like computer or IT guys.

Actually, those computer or IT guys are bringing new technology into the U.S and help training the U.S. workers with only a reasonable wages. If there are enough computer or IT guys, would America so stupid to go through all the immigration process to hire them in the first place?

Old 05-16-2008, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 8,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
This forum sadly seems dedicated to the negative sides of immigration, but there are positives as well, as in any other country in the world.
And since there are people who read on this forum who are offended by the negative attitude, I believe it would be good if we could bring up the good things with immigration to somehow give a more fair view of the subject.

For example:
What is good with immigration? In general?
What can it do/make possible?
What wouldn't you want to be without that has been made possible by immigration?
What positive impacts has immigrants had on your life?
What positive impacts has immigration had on the job market? In the kitchen?
etc.

The only intention with this thread is to point out the good things with immigration, so please, if you have ANYTHING negative to say about it, do so in another thread. And this, so it won't offend anyone, is not about illegal immigration.
Thanks!

I don't know if anyone notices that many immigrants take on the job that many Americans does not want. Also, they would not understand how much legal fees an immigrant has to spend on immigration lawyers. An immigration lawyer charges average 2000 to 5000 for a working visa.

Some people may not know that many immigrants have to bring in a lot of money from overseas to set up a business in order to get a legal immigration visa. They set up business and hire a lot of local people plus creating many job opportunities. The money they bought into American is not the money they earned from American. They brought those money in from their own countries before they moved to America. Why? Like someone posted earlier, America has done something right. In believing that by moving to America would give their children a better opportunity in life. They are willing to sacrifice their life savings for their children. Please understand a parent's heart. Please understand that they did contribute to the U.S.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:37 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
I would not have my wonderful son if not for LEGAL immigration (Argentina).

Old 05-17-2008, 09:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
We don't need uncontrolled or illegal immigration, and we don't need immigration used by the greedy class to get the cheapest possible workers. We don't need more welfare recipients by allowing in those coming in who cannot support themselves.

However, the right kind of legal immigration can provide us with more good hard-working Americans. Immigration needs to be reformed so that those people in the world who truly desire to become a part of us, a part of our people can do so. Those people of course wish to learn our common language and our history and culture. There are those who inside are American but were born in the wrong country. Immigration should be about letting them in.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,391 times
Default Strongly disagree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
A nation which encourages LEGAL IMMIGRATION demonstrates to the world the value of its society and culture, by the fact that people are attracted to the idea of coming. It puts the "host" country on the "moral high ground", and shows a humanitarian quality that is not shared by some other nations. The fact that a country is attractive to immigrants is testimony to the fact that it is "doing something right". It is a shining example that the host nation is practicing the good ideas that it preaches.

Illegal immigration, on the other hand, is a "slap in the face" for all legal immigrants. To some degree, at least, it makes a mockery out of the immigration process. But the OP asked that we not comment on this, so I'll say no more.....
Here's why...My father left UK for USA during mid 1950's when he worked on Queen Mary as a steward for White Star Line. He had temporary visa to work there. He returned thereafter only twice, during which I was born in UK. Father married, then remarried, unable to sponsor his children as USA demanded he have sufficient income, he worked hard for Social Security offices for many years. He died at an early age, leaving 3 USA born children. My siblings. They lost their mother, so the only family they now have is the 2 born in UK - half sisters. Their half sisters have to be sponsored to be able to live with them, but they must be able to show that they can support their sibblings for two years financially???? What the hell happened to INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS????? Land of the Free - I THINK NOT - There are now today 3 siblings suffering without parents in USA, whose half blood are in UK, they cannot afford to travel to UK to see them ever...even if those left in UK can travel to USA to see them, whoopie doo, they get 3 months to spend their hard earned cash on a waiver visa, then booted back home...WHAT HUMANITARIAN QUALITY????? USA has not. STRONGLY DISAGREE this nation is practising what it preaches, what does it preach about family???????????????????????? Oh and contact a lawyer in USA to tell him it's unfair - $2000 and more might help - OR NOT..........

Old 09-20-2013, 04:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uklegallyblonde View Post
Here's why...My father left UK for USA during mid 1950's when he worked on Queen Mary as a steward for White Star Line. He had temporary visa to work there. He returned thereafter only twice, during which I was born in UK. Father married, then remarried, unable to sponsor his children as USA demanded he have sufficient income, he worked hard for Social Security offices for many years. He died at an early age, leaving 3 USA born children. My siblings. They lost their mother, so the only family they now have is the 2 born in UK - half sisters. Their half sisters have to be sponsored to be able to live with them, but they must be able to show that they can support their sibblings for two years financially???? What the hell happened to INTERNATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS????? Land of the Free - I THINK NOT - There are now today 3 siblings suffering without parents in USA, whose half blood are in UK, they cannot afford to travel to UK to see them ever...even if those left in UK can travel to USA to see them, whoopie doo, they get 3 months to spend their hard earned cash on a waiver visa, then booted back home...WHAT HUMANITARIAN QUALITY????? USA has not. STRONGLY DISAGREE this nation is practising what it preaches, what does it preach about family???????????????????????? Oh and contact a lawyer in USA to tell him it's unfair - $2000 and more might help - OR NOT..........
So you feel that the US government (i.e. the American taxpayers) should pay for the passage of the half sisters living in the UK and support them to live in the US. They're not inclined to do so, but here's a thought. If the US system is so inhumanitarian then go ahead and petition the UK government to pay the way for the three US siblings to move there and be supported by the taxpayers in the UK. Let us know how that works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration