Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
To make it sound like you can't function without a car is ridiculous. Of course you can function without a car. It may be inconvienient, but you sure can do it. Lots of people do.
I agree. People even live in north Texas without a car. Sure, it sucks...but you make do. I made it two years in Austin without a car. It can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
If she was better off than in her own country, then she would not have been whining here. We should admit that this country has a serious problem in having an inadequate Public Transit option. Without Car, you cannot go to work, to school, to do shopping. not admitting that there is a problem or thinking that it is still better then other countries or the person who is complaining should go back to his/her country reminds me of "Frog in the Well" story.
We choose to do it to not fall into one of the immigrant debt traps of car loans. It meant that I had to get up an hour early and drive 50 extra miles per day, car pool, ask for a ride.
Who is supposed to pay for public transportation being used by a few in a car culture such as Texas?

Old 04-02-2014, 01:07 PM

681 posts, read 2,799,675 times
Quote:
Look, government is government. We all know how slow it is. The point here is the the OP saying she can barely live or function without a car. My response is: even if she can't use her car, she's probably still better off than in her own country (otherwise she wouldn't have immigrated her, right?) , so quit whining.
LOL .. where do I even begin with this ill-informed poster (Rush Limbaugh would not be impressed with you .. he is your odol right? Just thought so since you talk just like him).

First off: Yes the government is slow which is why I was proactive in starting my renewals long before the suggested timeframe to renew. But when they say they will process something within a certain time-frame, that tells me there is some sense of organization that they can provide an estimated time to complete a request. If the government is off by two or three months on their estimate then I think you too would agree that is not acceptable, especially if no reason is provided for the delay.

Second: how do you know I am a "she"? My name has "mr" in it.

Third: I have not immigrated here. I only work here. From your rambling you also seem to think that I am from a country that is inferior that what the US has to offer. Quite the contrary, I am from Canada so our way of living up there is not much different from the US .. except that we keep polar bears as pets and we just got 24/7 running water last year .... eh.

Why am I in "your" country? That really is none of your business. But let me put a thought in your head so that you don't think that I am here because I need to be here in the US: I have opportunities not only on both sides of the border but across the world. During my transition from one job to another, opportunities come up and it just happened that I chose to try my hand at working in the US.

Don't let this mean that this opportunity was the best option to choose from all my choices. Perhaps it was my best option. Perhaps I decided to move to the US for the experience of living and working in the US. Perhaps I wanted to see how the immigration system works and wanted to b*tch about it on some forum so that someone named 80skey would delight me on their insights of my thoughts ... you never know. Soo many reasons.

From your postings it seems like you are pretty ignorant to the hardships legal immigrants and legal workers have, either the US or Canada. Many towns do not have adequate transit systems, and many new comers to the country don't have a social network in place to ask friends/family for help to get around should one be inconvenienced. This is where I fall into. Sure if you live within an actual city you should be able to survive. But what do you do if you live in Chula Vista Ca, Baulder City Nv, Apollo Beach FL, or Nedrow NY? All are suburbs of major cities, with little to no tranist services.

I don't have reliable public transit where I live, not do I have friends and family that I can make my personal chauffeur. I expect that if I do my due diligence to apply for a renewal of something much earlier than I am expected to, that I would get it approved either sooner or on-time so that it does not cause me and my family any hardships.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 04-02-2014, 02:28 PM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
As Odol is a mouthwash I take the entertainment value and ignore the lecture.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:02 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post

From your postings it seems like you are pretty ignorant to the hardships legal immigrants and legal workers have, either the US or Canada.
You made it sound like you can't live without a car and that it is such an unbearable inconvenience and hardship without one. Your whining was annoying. That's the reason I responded to this thread.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:50 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,427,356 times
Quote:
Make do. Honestly to me your attitude smacks of "entitlement" .... You want to live in this country, I assume you are earning better wages here and you have a better lifestyle here than in your own country. So if you have to put up with some inconveniences, then put up with them. It's not going to kill you to take public transportation for a few months. Your kids aren't going to die because they have to take the school bus.

Then maybe return to your country and live a better life there?
problem may be the ridiculous lack of public transport and/or sidewalks and/or cycle paths in many areas -even those that are densely populated. Why do you assume that someone is earning a better wage than in their own country? Money isn't a prime motivator for everyone.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:46 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I agree. People even live in north Texas without a car. Sure, it sucks...but you make do. I made it two years in Austin without a car. It can be done.
Yes, California has buses -- they are supported with taxes and are for those who lack transportation. Plus there are bikes.

My question -- California rewards all those coming here illegally with drivers licenses -- why would someone here legally have more trouble getting a license than someone here illegally? That doesn't make sense.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
Prfft! Nice speech, but we see illegal aliens with more rights than legal immigrants, with nice state IDs, drivers licenses and even work permits. Of course this person is upset! Not being able to drive for months? Can you even imagine being restricted like this? Legal immigrants are treated worse than those who break the law. And telling "go back to your country" to workers that left everything behind to come here is just plain insensitive. I guess you are 100% Native American since you feel so comfortable telling people to go back to their countries. Even the pilgrams were once immigrants, jeesh!
Yes -- I think that's an issue -- come here illegally and they've got a very nice drivers license waiting for you and you don't have to know a lick of English either -- but try to do things the right way and there is all kinds of grief.

But -- at the same time time, it's one of the hassles -- I wonder how much different it is for Americans who move to other countries. Is everything easy and hassle-free?

Old 04-06-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
LOL .. where do I even begin with this ill-informed poster (Rush Limbaugh would not be impressed with you .. he is your odol right? Just thought so since you talk just like him).

First off: Yes the government is slow which is why I was proactive in starting my renewals long before the suggested timeframe to renew. But when they say they will process something within a certain time-frame, that tells me there is some sense of organization that they can provide an estimated time to complete a request. If the government is off by two or three months on their estimate then I think you too would agree that is not acceptable, especially if no reason is provided for the delay.

Second: how do you know I am a "she"? My name has "mr" in it.

Third: I have not immigrated here. I only work here. From your rambling you also seem to think that I am from a country that is inferior that what the US has to offer. Quite the contrary, I am from Canada so our way of living up there is not much different from the US .. except that we keep polar bears as pets and we just got 24/7 running water last year .... eh.

Why am I in "your" country? That really is none of your business. But let me put a thought in your head so that you don't think that I am here because I need to be here in the US: I have opportunities not only on both sides of the border but across the world. During my transition from one job to another, opportunities come up and it just happened that I chose to try my hand at working in the US.

Don't let this mean that this opportunity was the best option to choose from all my choices. Perhaps it was my best option. Perhaps I decided to move to the US for the experience of living and working in the US. Perhaps I wanted to see how the immigration system works and wanted to b*tch about it on some forum so that someone named 80skey would delight me on their insights of my thoughts ... you never know. Soo many reasons.

From your postings it seems like you are pretty ignorant to the hardships legal immigrants and legal workers have, either the US or Canada. Many towns do not have adequate transit systems, and many new comers to the country don't have a social network in place to ask friends/family for help to get around should one be inconvenienced. This is where I fall into. Sure if you live within an actual city you should be able to survive. But what do you do if you live in Chula Vista Ca, Baulder City Nv, Apollo Beach FL, or Nedrow NY? All are suburbs of major cities, with little to no tranist services.

I don't have reliable public transit where I live, not do I have friends and family that I can make my personal chauffeur. I expect that if I do my due diligence to apply for a renewal of something much earlier than I am expected to, that I would get it approved either sooner or on-time so that it does not cause me and my family any hardships.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

So well said. Were we lived there was no public transport at all-and that was an affluent small town within 30 miles of a medium sized city.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
But Austin has public transportation-yes? Of course you can survive without a car in an area with good public transport, sidewalks and cycle lanes-people in Europe manage all the time. Why drive a car into a city, get stuck in traffic and pay stupid amounts to park when you can jump on the Metro or a bus when you can arrive in less time and feeling less stressed than if you'd driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
We choose to do it to not fall into one of the immigrant debt traps of car loans. It meant that I had to get up an hour early and drive 50 extra miles per day, car pool, ask for a ride.
Who is supposed to pay for public transportation being used by a few in a car culture such as Texas?
It's pretty impossible to get any sort of a loan as a new resident in the USA with no credit score. So are you saying that you and your partner "only" had one car between you and that created a more difficult commute? How about if your partner didn't work and was at home all day without a car? Not sure about car pooling or asking for a ride to go to the grocery store. I think most Americans would think you were pretty crazy! They had enough of a problem getting the heads around the fact that our son wasn't driving age 16 because we couldn't afford the car insurance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, California has buses -- they are supported with taxes and are for those who lack transportation. Plus there are bikes.

My question -- California rewards all those coming here illegally with drivers licenses -- why would someone here legally have more trouble getting a license than someone here illegally? That doesn't make sense.
Public transport isn't just for people who lack transport, surely?
I assume that illegal immigrants get their drivers licenses illegally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration