Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 06:25 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You are wrong. By far the bulk of legal immigration is of Mexicans.
Actually, you are the one who is wrong. The U.S. immigration system favors people who have relatives who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, however it does not favor people by nationality. It so happens that a large group of Mexicans have an easy way to immigrate to the U.S. due to having relatives who are U.S. citizens. However a Mexican who is not in this group has no advantage over a European, and is in fact at a large disadvantage in terms of even visiting the U.S., due to having to apply for a visa while the European does not need to apply for a visa to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 07:29 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
You are sadly right...it is almost impossible.

I know a few people who won the green card lottery so it is doable and it still cost a lot of money and some steps to get it but almost the easiest way but a very low percentage of people win.

It is easier for an illegal than for an illegal and very annoying to hear all the politicians only speak about illegal immigration while many young people who are legally here have a very hard chance.

Canada is way easier and you can try to come here after you become a Canadian...
Quote:
Originally Posted by anondragon View Post
Hello all,

Correct me if I am wrong, but gaining permanent residence in the USA for an average person who has no family in the USA (like most Europeans like me for instance), is impossible.

The only three ways I see to gain permanent residence for people with no family in USA:
1. Win green card lottery (unlikely)
2. Marry an American citizen (Fraudulent and illegal, not an option for most sane people)
3. Get sponsored by an American employer (H1B) : Almost impossible if you are not some kind of genius with a skill that cannot be replicated by any american citizen. Even then its hard and might take years, not to forget convincing the company to spend thousands of dollars doing the lengthy process while they could save tons of $$$ simply employing an American. Oh and the fact the economy is such even Americans dont get jobs so why the hell would a US company go through the trouble of hiring some foreigner ?

So what I am saying is: For the lambda EU citizen, who has say a degree in business, and who doesnt hold 10000000$ or more to invest in the USA and employ X amount of US employees, immigration is impossible?

Just want a confirmation of this, as I am seriously considering moving to an easier destination to immigrate to (Canada/Australia) as I definitely want to work and travel while I am young. And if USA is impossible, then got to move to something else.

Before you jump and say "go to USCIS and X website". Trust me Ive been to all and even applied to green card lottery many times. I just want the insider info on whether a regular person still has ways to immigrate to the US and realise the American dream.

Kind regards
Anondragon

Old 02-16-2013, 02:16 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Actually, you are the one who is wrong. The U.S. immigration system favors people who have relatives who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, however it does not favor people by nationality. It so happens that a large group of Mexicans have an easy way to immigrate to the U.S. due to having relatives who are U.S. citizens. However a Mexican who is not in this group has no advantage over a European, and is in fact at a large disadvantage in terms of even visiting the U.S., due to having to apply for a visa while the European does not need to apply for a visa to visit.
But -- most Mexicans have relatives living here and so it is much easier for them to come here which is why the number of family sponsored immigrants is so heavily from that group.

A person who respect our laws and who has a good education and job skills stands a far less chance of coming here than some indigent illiterate with some kind of relative living here who can sponspor them.

The immigration system is trully messed up when the vast majority of immigrants are low-skilled or unskilled and we are passing up qualified types because the system favors the family chain migration types over the skilled who can earn their own keep and also contribute to this country.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:35 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
But -- most Mexicans have relatives living here and so it is much easier for them to come here which is why the number of family sponsored immigrants is so heavily from that group.
I have the feeling that you actually know very little about immigration through family ties and how that works. You might want to take a look at the USCIS website (it's linked in the first sticky on this forum).

Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I'd say like most industrialized nations except for politcal refugees that there is no longer a need or want for just people in general like in the past. There are specific needs in skills mostly very technical. In fact most countries compete for those people.Tmes chnage ans so does what is needed .

Old 02-17-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I have the feeling that you actually know very little about immigration through family ties and how that works. You might want to take a look at the USCIS website (it's linked in the first sticky on this forum).
I know for a fact that most legal immigrants -- the vast majority -- are from Mexico because they only need a family sponsor to bring them on in -- legally.

They are not limited to legal spouse and minor children, they can bring in parents, siblings, and papers can be falsified to have it look like someone is a sibling. Family sponsorship brings in a very huge number of immigrants but people without a relative living here can find it much more difficult to immgirate legally.

I live on the border and know of a number of people who came over as "adoptees" even though they regularly visit their parents still in Mexico. It's quite common for children to be adopted to some relative such as a cousin for the purpose of getting them over here legally.

And because I live on the border where this is all very common, I know a woman who married a US citizen and so became a citizen and who sponsored two brothers and their wives and kids to be here. She could sponsor her parents also but they choose not to come.

If the sponsored immigrant can't work and applies for the means tested program, her income as the sponsor gets added in with the immigrant's to determine if the immigrant will qualify for these programs.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:19 PM

24,489 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Before I was married my wife had to jump through hoops to get her green card and in the end she did hit the lottery for it. Trouble is with immigration is the Government is too involved with it so common sense is not applied.
Trying to go the legal way is a long road but jump over the fence and this current administration is ready to grant you citizenship. It is kinda like when if you have a legitimate need for public assisstance you will be lucky to be noticed and probably put on the back burner to simmer with hardly enough aid to help but if you are a recovering heroine addict you get the full boat all the help and then some. That's Massachusetts for you.
Life isn't fair.
I'm all for immigration if the immigrant wants to come to this country and be a positive influence.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Before I was married my wife had to jump through hoops to get her green card and in the end she did hit the lottery for it. Trouble is with immigration is the Government is too involved with it so common sense is not applied.
Trying to go the legal way is a long road but jump over the fence and this current administration is ready to grant you citizenship. It is kinda like when if you have a legitimate need for public assisstance you will be lucky to be noticed and probably put on the back burner to simmer with hardly enough aid to help but if you are a recovering heroine addict you get the full boat all the help and then some. That's Massachusetts for you.
Life isn't fair.
I'm all for immigration if the immigrant wants to come to this country and be a positive influence.
What's also difficult now for those who would immigrate legally is that anyone who comes here illegally can grab up all the jobs, making it very unnecessary for employers to provide work-visas.

There are far too few jobs for American citizens, and with the illegals being rewarded for coming here illegally with legal status and a quick path to citizenship, there won't be many work visas coming up for those who would abide by the laws.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:05 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,561 times
Quote:

I live on the border and know of a number of people who came over as "adoptees" even though they regularly visit their parents still in Mexico. It's quite common for children to be adopted to some relative such as a cousin for the purpose of getting them over here legally.
It shouldn't be. The laws regarding adoption for immigration purposes are pretty strict and it's not just a matter of adopting and having the kids come over.

Quote:
If the sponsored immigrant can't work and applies for the means tested program, her income as the sponsor gets added in with the immigrant's to determine if the immigrant will qualify for these programs.
Sponsored immigrants don't qualify for means tested programs. The few programs they would qualify for they use usually ineligible for because of the sponsor's income which puts them over the limit.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
It shouldn't be. The laws regarding adoption for immigration purposes are pretty strict and it's not just a matter of adopting and having the kids come over.

Sponsored immigrants don't qualify for means tested programs. The few programs they would qualify for they use usually ineligible for because of the sponsor's income which puts them over the limit.
Only for 5 years they can't qualify and many are exempt from that 5 years. A sponsor only needs to be 125% of poverty level. That's not much income, and adding in almost poverty level wages with $0 will get the immigrant the means tested government handouts.

Summary of Immigrant Eligibility Restrictions Under Current Law

With some exceptions, sponsors must now have an income of at least 125 percent of federal poverty to sponsor an immigrant (previously 100 percent). All family-based immigrants, and certain employment-based immigrants, must be “sponsored,” meaning that a family member (and an additional co-sponsor, if necessary) must have signed an affidavit stating that they will provide assistance to maintain the immigrant at an annual income of at least 125 percent of the federal poverty line as long as it is enforceable (see Section A. Affidavit).

When determining eligibility for Federal means-tested public benefits (i.e., Medicaid, TANF, SSI, and Food Stamps), the income and resources of the sponsor, who executed a new affidavit of support, and the sponsor’s spouse, shall be “deemed” available to the sponsored immigrant. (Sec 421) Benefits specifically excluded from the 5-year eligibility ban (Sec 403(c)) are also not subject to deeming and reimbursement by the sponsor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration