Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 08:08 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,498,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Thank you. Things may indeed have speeded up but it isn't true that the "few months" wait is common throughout the US - the time frame in many cases depends on one's physical location, plus a brand new marriage of less than a year isn't likely at all to be fast-tracked - in fact the opposite.
I don't know what you're referring to when you're talking about "being fast tracked" or what the length of marriage has to do with anything. I do know that the processing time for an I-485 is just a few months all over the country. It may be longer if you're applying from abroad but that's not the issue at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I don't know what you're referring to when you're talking about "being fast tracked" or what the length of marriage has to do with anything. I do know that the processing time for an I-485 is just a few months all over the country. It may be longer if you're applying from abroad but that's not the issue at hand.
My apologies for apparently having irritated you but my response was given based on personal knowledge of two separate incidents in the past two years, one involving the GC application of a 2-years married UK citizen to a US citizen and the other of a newlywed US citizen to a citizen of the Dominican Republic. Maybe the process has become faster in the last six months to a year but in neither of these cases did the processing time take "a few months" but way longer and particularly where the second case was concerned. No doubt these were just curious anomalies and quite coincidentally so.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,498,555 times
You haven't irritated me at all. We're just disagreeing about some details. I don't know why your friends' green cards took so long but in the last few years the processing time within the US is really a few months. I could be mistaken on the number but I seem to recall that the average is 5-6 months. The current processing time for an I-485 in Chicago is 4 months and in Dallas it's 5 months. According to a quick Google search the estimated processing time in 2010 for an I-485 in Chicago was about 4 months too. 1-3 years used to be the norm a decade ago but in the years after the development of the USCIS processing times has sped up considerably. Maybe your friends didn't fill their forms out correctly or maybe there were some special considerations in their cases that made it take longer. It happens.

You can look up the processing times here if you're interested: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do

Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 PM

4,771 posts, read 3,278,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbarth200 View Post
My girlfriend is from Mexico and is an au pair in the Denver area. She is already on her second year and cannot renew her visa through the agency again. I am looking for ideas of what could possibly be done to renew her visa and keep her in the states. Thanks for any information
Go see an immigration attorney. Do not try anything on your own. Marriage may be your best bet.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:46 PM

442 posts, read 799,100 times
Mizzle the bizzle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration