Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 03:47 PM

108 posts, read 159,762 times

Advertisements

Okay well I am a British citizen but my mother is an American citizen. All of her side are American - So I do have family over there I could stay with at first.

I will be graduating from university in June with a Bachelors degree in Computer Science. I have work experience and am Microsoft and Cisco certified.

What do I need to do to be eligible to stay and work in the US, and how easy/ difficult would it be for me to be granted permission to do so?

By the way I am 21. I turn 22 in June
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
Is your mother currently in the USA? If no, what are the closest relatives you currently have there?
Was she a US citizen when you were born?
Where you born inside or outside the USA?
If outside, how many years of her live did your mom spend in the USA, and how many years after age 14?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM

108 posts, read 159,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Is your mother currently in the USA? If no, what are the closest relatives you currently have there?
Was she a US citizen when you were born?
Where you born inside or outside the USA?
If outside, how many years of her live did your mom spend in the USA, and how many years after age 14?
Thank you for your response.

My mother lives in Britain with me but she is a US Citizen and has a US passport
My closest relatives in the States are my Grandmother, all my moms bros and sis, cousins, and the rest of her entire family
I was born in the UK
My mom was born in the UK because her father was in the US Air Force stationed in England
In her life she has lived in the US for 19 years
She spent 9 years in the US post the age of 14

Old 02-13-2013, 04:02 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
Ok. You would have been elligible for US citizenship at birth due to your mom's US citizenship and how long she spent in the USA. However, it is supposed to be done at/ close to the birth of the child (called CRBA- Consular Report of Birth Abroad), and I am not sure if you are still elligible as you are over 18 now. Have a read of: Claiming US Citizenship | Embassy of the United States and maybe have your mum, as the US citizen, call the embassy and enquire if the page is unclear.

None of your current family in the USA are close enough to petition you for a visa. If the above does not work, the only way to get a family visa would be for your mom to move back to the USA and petition you, then you can get a greencard in about 9 months.

Work visas are difficult to get straight out of college, but with some good IT experience/ knowledge of rare computer languages it is definitely a possibility in the future. You'd need to find an employer to petition you for a work visa

Old 02-13-2013, 04:20 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
This site is the US immigration "bible" and is easily navigable:

USCIS Home Page

Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Passport Services in Person | Embassy of the United States

Old 02-14-2013, 09:09 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,336 times
You need to apply for a certificate of citizenship as you should qualify for it through your mother. The place to start is your nearest embassy. They will know what the process is. Once you have a certificate of citizenship you can get a US passport and at that point you can just go ahead and move on over.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 AM

[quote=Lizita;28253063]You need to apply for a certificate of citizenship as you should qualify for it through your mother. The place to start is your nearest embassy. They will know what the process is. Once you have a certificate of citizenship you can get a US passport and at that point you can just go ahead and move on over.[/QUOTE

What is a certificate of citizenship?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
What is a certificate of citizenship?
This link links to it:

USCIS - Citizenship Through Parents

The OP in fact doesn't necessarily have to go to a US Consular office but can apply online if his situation meets all the requirements. All the details are in the section of the USCIS website linked above.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
This link links to it:

USCIS - Citizenship Through Parents

The OP in fact doesn't necessarily have to go to a US Consular office but can apply online if his situation meets all the requirements. All the details are in the section of the USCIS website linked above.
He is over 21 and London is a bit peculiar:>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration