Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:55 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
What this really means is a measure to allow employers to pay a slave wage, that is unsustainable for living in the U.S. There is no shortage of low-skilled jobs that are in demand.
there is no shortage of those jobs, yes, but there is shortage of supply i.e. the people to do the jobs since the citizens here avoid those jobs, no matter how unemployed they are.

Last edited by zilam98; 04-21-2013 at 05:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
there is no shortage of those jobs, yes, but there is shortage of supply i.e. the people to do the jobs since the citizens here avoid those jobs, no matter how unemployed they are.
This is not true, it is all propaganda. There are plenty of high school kids, new immigrants who do these jobs, people looking for a second income, and plenty of low skill people that are legal citizens. This whole idea of not enough people to do these jobs is just a lie to rationalize allowing even more people to come here.

The same thing happened with the H1B Visa; it was provoked by corporations on the idea that there weren't enough college graduates available for companies that were hiring, when in fact, there were more than enough college graduates to do those jobs. Companies just didn't want to pay a fair wage, and knew they could pay foreign workers a fraction of what they would have to pay a citizen. The foreign student graduates didn't care, because their primary goal was to become a citizen by any means necessary.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
If you've ever worked for an assisted living care company, you'd know how dire the situation is. They are needing help. Assisted living is a low wage and low skill job. They nearly all pay under $10 an hour but offer you unlimited overtime.

It's very hard work to allow a stranger to beat you up and spit bologna at you while you help them use the bathroom.

This is a line of work many unemployed people could get into, but choose not to. I did it to pay my bills awaiting for a decent job. If they wanted to make the perpetually unemployed or welfare recipients do this work instead of creating an immigrant classification for it. Fine. But they won't.

It's only going to get more dire as the elderly live longer, become less valued and become more numerous.

So I support it since the majority of unemployed Americans won't do this line of work because it's beneath their useless social art degree.
The problem with paying third world types with their high birth rates less than $10 to do those jobs is then who is going to support them and their extra-large numbers of children?

Sure plenty of Central Americans will be happy to work for whatever kind of wages offered but how do they then support the children they will have here and the ones they left behind in their own countries? They will need Medicaid, food stamps, government housing and much more -- who will be paying for all this?

Old 05-02-2013, 01:19 AM

308 posts, read 398,384 times
Quote:
If passed, the measure would be a boon to nursing homes, assisted-living facilities

I think it's really sad that caring for the elderly or people with special needs is considered low-skill work.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:29 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
one thing in Immigration Reform Bill is that they will remove Green Card Lottery of 50000 Diversity Visa given every year to people from countries who have historically low immigration to USA. They intend to replace that with points system. the problem is that with points system, they will get immigrants who will be directly competing with Americans in white collar jobs. That means 50000 CPA, nurses, IT Professionals from India who will come at low wages and displace American workers. There may be lottery again because thousands of people will have same points!!!!!

Lottery system was okay. We got immigrants from countries which were not represented in USA. example A High School graduate from Poland opening Polish Restaurant in USA. But now there will be a flood of nurses, doctors, engineers who will only depress wages further in USA.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:31 AM

112 posts, read 353,818 times
Thanks!
Definitely will follow this!

However nothing is set in stone correct?
This is really just a proposal isn't it?

If the points system makes immigration more like Canada/Australia...Man this would potentially allow me to immigrate!!
PLEASE LET THIS PROPOSAL GO THROUGH.

This would be a god-sent for qualified immigrants AND for Americans tired of seeing low level illegals streaming in the country!

Last edited by anondragon; 05-08-2013 at 02:45 AM..

Old 05-08-2013, 11:07 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anondragon View Post
If the points system makes immigration more like Canada/Australia...Man this would potentially allow me to immigrate!!
PLEASE LET THIS PROPOSAL GO THROUGH.
I don't think it will increase your chances of immigrating to the US as you are from the UK. This reform is geared towards enhancing Asian immigration.
Basically you need to be already in the US on H1B or get your degree in the US to qualify for enough points. Your UK work experience and UK diploma would give you 0 points. English skills a few points, but every rich-kid Indian who studied in the US and got H1B have 28 extra points (10 for MSc, 18 for 6 years of H1B work) that Europeans cannot compete with. At least the Australians give you points for your UK edu/work.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:48 AM

112 posts, read 353,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I don't think it will increase your chances of immigrating to the US as you are from the UK. This reform is geared towards enhancing Asian immigration.
Basically you need to be already in the US on H1B or get your degree in the US to qualify for enough points. Your UK work experience and UK diploma would give you 0 points. English skills a few points, but every rich-kid Indian who studied in the US and got H1B have 28 extra points (10 for MSc, 18 for 6 years of H1B work) that Europeans cannot compete with. At least the Australians give you points for your UK edu/work.
Yeah...Yesterday was reading the details of the potential US points system and my bubble quickly deflated...

All I can say is *wait and see*. Once its done and on the table, I'll give it a go and see what happens.

I actually am not from UK but Austria. I just work there.

I happen to work for a major American company (it was not by chance believe me) but they openly say they have a policy of NOT allowing European EEs to take American positions.

Which I feel is ridiculously biased, but on the other hand I get that they are a publicly traded company and such moves would cost them enormous amount of goodwill especially in the current US economic climate.

Any other ideas Im welcome to hear
PS: Am in the business/corporate world, probably worst area to be in for H1B I guess. Not IT, not engineering, and no willingness to start from zero again and go back to school.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:30 AM

442 posts, read 800,551 times
Yeah man. No wonder people fake marry.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:13 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anondragon View Post
but they openly say they have a policy of NOT allowing European EEs to take American positions.
Could you tell me more about this?
What the hell is their problem with Europeans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration