Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 07:04 AM

112 posts, read 353,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Could you tell me more about this?
What the hell is their problem with Europeans?
Well, they are not allowing any transfer from Europe to USA.
USA positions for Americans only.

As I understand, it's bad publicity for them to allow Europeans to take up positions that could be filled by Americans.
It's a well-established group in the USA. Would prefer not to state the company. (Ironically it pays almost no taxes in the USA aswell which just makes me smile but anyway...)

To be very honest I understand it. But still they should consider at least a few per year and give some a chance instead of closing it completely.

Also, American employees can transfer to Europe and take up European positions - there is no problem with that-

I also remember more generally when I was still in the USA studying. I called many American firms for jobs, and they always said they had a policy of not sponsoring people in general.

There is just a general unwillingness to provide green cards or H1B for business people I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 07:50 AM

442 posts, read 800,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anondragon View Post
USA positions for Americans only.
How unfair and irrational.

Old 05-10-2013, 08:04 AM

112 posts, read 353,791 times
The funny thing I once thought was, if they said that in Germany "German jobs for Germans", the whole world would be yelling at Germany.

But in America, It's perfectly alright.

Again I dont actually oppose this. I mean Americans need the jobs. I just think that at least some hard working people should be let in.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:51 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
"There is just a general unwillingness to provide green cards or H1B for business people I believe."
IT is the same in engineering. They don't support H1Bs, except for Indians. What it means? -They don't support H1Bs for Europeans, Africans, Australians, SouthAmericans.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:48 PM

116 posts, read 212,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
one thing in Immigration Reform Bill is that they will remove Green Card Lottery of 50000 Diversity Visa given every year to people from countries who have historically low immigration to USA. They intend to replace that with points system. the problem is that with points system, they will get immigrants who will be directly competing with Americans in white collar jobs. That means 50000 CPA, nurses, IT Professionals from India who will come at low wages and displace American workers. There may be lottery again because thousands of people will have same points!!!!!

Lottery system was okay. We got immigrants from countries which were not represented in USA. example A High School graduate from Poland opening Polish Restaurant in USA. But now there will be a flood of nurses, doctors, engineers who will only depress wages further in USA.
What's wrong with inviting deserving white collar people over low skilled people from other nations? White collar skilled Indian workers will create more jobs by investing it into the economy and raising the housing market, providing employment to tons of high-school dropouts who engage in blue-collar jobs, like plumbing, household work etc. Whereas, the diversity visa immigrants would take atleast a generation to start doing those activities if they are not productive from day one. With the points system, any potential immigrant who is skilled is on equal footing. And the immigration bill is tightening hiring of immigrants by asking for a proof of hiring attempt of an American skilled worker first.

Not to mention, your phobia is from people from your own country of origin taking a job from you. Wow! Such idiocy.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
"IT is the same in engineering. They don't support H1Bs, except for Indians. What it means?
It means, you don't understand anything about immigration policies of this country. Get an education before someone can take your argument seriously.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codexone View Post
It means, you don't understand anything about immigration policies of this country. Get an education before someone can take your argument seriously.
I understand them very well. Walk into any engineering office in Silicon Valley and you will see: everyone is Indian. Walk into an engineering office in Europe and you will see: the standards of the trade are high, so they should be able to win the H1B places, but no they don't get any H1B jobs. I got a very good education: MSC in EE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codexone View Post
Whereas, the diversity visa immigrants would take atleast a generation to start doing those activities if they are not productive from day one.
You are assuming that GC lottery winners are uneducated. I am a GC lottery winner and have MSC. I would never have gotten a H1B job, as I am not Indian. To get the actual GC through the GC lotter, you have to prove what education you have, that you can support yourself and so on. They don't give GC lottery visas to any low life types. On the other hand they give H1B to anyone from India who has a BSC degree and no skills/talent.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:37 AM

308 posts, read 398,344 times
I'm kinda curious about the reasoning behind #3. Are really companies with over 5000 (!) employees a first choice for illegals when it comes to work? I would suppose, entirely based on anecdotal experience, that smaller operations hiring day workers, or people hiring maids and handymen, would be a more obvious focal point. On the other hand I guess that would mean that some government worker needed to get out of the chair and go look outside their office Here in Norway, the equivalent of the OSHA loves collaborating with local police in order to sweep construction sites, car repair workshops, and "restaurants" for illegal workers. They regularly catch a number of people living in squalor, receiving next to no pay, and who never saw the first page of a work permit application.

Personally, I would like a points-based system instead of today's system of "who do you know." It would be more fair for everyone, transparent, and if you don't have enough points it would be at least theoretically possible to increase your score.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I understand them very well. Walk into any engineering office in Silicon Valley and you will see: everyone is Indian. Walk into an engineering office in Europe and you will see: the standards of the trade are high, so they should be able to win the H1B places, but no they don't get any H1B jobs. I got a very good education: MSC in EE.

You are assuming that GC lottery winners are uneducated. I am a GC lottery winner and have MSC. I would never have gotten a H1B job, as I am not Indian. To get the actual GC through the GC lotter, you have to prove what education you have, that you can support yourself and so on. They don't give GC lottery visas to any low life types. On the other hand they give H1B to anyone from India who has a BSC degree and no skills/talent.
If you're talented, you will get a sponsorship. The fact that you had to get a lottery to come here doesn't speak highly of your talents. Like I said in the other thread, employment is based on merit. If an organization cannot get 3x out of their workers in the USA, they will not hire that individual. Indians and Chinese are that hard-working and hence they are hired the top organizations in the USA.

Oh, and you don't have to prove any education for lottery. You're literally lying here. It was designed so poor people come here to create diversity. And most of those people are poor and not highly educated.

Here are the requirements for the lottery:
Quote:
To enter, an applicant must have EITHER a:
High School Education or its equivalent, defined in the U.S. as a successful completion of a 12-year course of elementary and secondary education;

or
Two Years of Work Experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience to perform
So, you're getting in because the bar of diversity visa lottery is so low. Pfft!

Last edited by codexone; 05-15-2013 at 07:15 AM..

Old 05-15-2013, 07:25 AM

308 posts, read 398,344 times
You do have to demonstrate that you have at least a high school level education or two years of work experience at one of the qualifying occupations, though. Not exactly insurmountable obstacles, I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration