Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:50 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
I'm going to assume this was directed to me because mine if the only post referring to taxes.

My point was that permanent residents can stop paying US taxes if they MOVE OUT of the US of A at some point. That doesn't happen with citizens, who still need to file US Federal Tax returns -and pay difference in taxes if their country of residence had a lower rate- even if they live somewhere else and never return.

So, for a permanent resident planning to retire somewhere else or to move to an exotic location at some point in life, it makes no sense -from a taxation standpoint- to acquire the US citizenship.

That was all, not complicated, really.
of course, why pay taxes to a country that you're not a citizen of when you leave it? it's almost the same analogy with renters vs owner. renters will only pay the rent while they're still holding the lease, but the owner will still have to maintain the upkeep since it's his property whether he lives in it or not. the only time the owner wont have responsibilities to it is when he sells it--kinda like when a citizen renounces his birth-country citizenship.

if you hate having to pay the US taxes, then renounce your citizenship and live elsewhere.

Last edited by zilam98; 06-18-2013 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 PM

362 posts, read 794,537 times
Well it shouldn't include anyone who has been here since reagan made amnesty days, so if it should max out around 38-40 years or so at least in theory.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:18 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
I know many people who are in US legally for 12-13 years. They are from India. They came here as students. MS, Ph.D. Post Doc and 12-13 years later they are working in Universities and Research stations on OPT or Academic H-1 or J-1 visas. The irony is that their Green Card process has not even started. If they file now, they have to wait atleast 10 years more for Green Card. That will make it 22-23 years. International student on Ph.D. and Post Doc lives a life of poverty and after 10 years or so, most of them return back to their country.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
of course, why pay taxes to a country that you're not a citizen of when you leave it? it's almost the same analogy with renters vs owner. renters will only pay the rent while they're still holding the lease, but the owner will still have to maintain the upkeep since it's his property whether he lives in it or not. the only time the owner wont have responsibilities to it is when he sells it--kinda like when a citizen renounces his birth-country citizenship.

if you hate having to pay the US taxes, then renounce your citizenship and live elsewhere.
That's also a possibility, for sure. Especially when having a US passport is better than your original passport. Imagine, for instance, a citizen of Honduras with a US permanent resident card. It makes all the sense in the world to become a citizen because he won't need visas for the UK, Europe and Canada anymore. Fantastic.

In the end he could renounce the US Citizenship when the time to retire in Roatan or some other nice beach comes.

For a Swiss guy, though, it would make no sense whatsoever. The red passport is as good -or better- than the blue one for going places, so no need.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:53 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramouchebluez View Post
Well it shouldn't include anyone who has been here since reagan made amnesty days, so if it should max out around 38-40 years or so at least in theory.
Someone either didn't read the thread title or doesn't know anything about immigration law other than right wing talking points.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:13 PM

362 posts, read 794,537 times
^LOL, I realize I misread it i thought he meant illegally. In the case who knows, it'd be possible to live your whole life on a series of temp visa the longest I've heard of is 15-20 years on different labour visas

Old 06-19-2013, 05:18 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,859 times
i have a feeling (and i hope to be proven wrong) that the OP just wants to keep his wife undocumented to avoid the hassle and expense of getting her legal and documented. and that he would just rather avoid as much checkpoints as possible than go through all the work of making the spouse legal.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:05 AM

13,626 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jons_wifey View Post
I've just never understood why those on green cards, stay on green cards, and just keep renewing it..... and never go for citizenship??
I think some may have a problem with the "Oath of Allegiance", some for religious reasons, maybe.

USCIS - Naturalization Oath of Allegiance to the United States of America

Old 06-25-2013, 12:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
This is out of curiosity.

I know of people who have been in the U.S. legally for over 10 years bouncing from visa to visa or from school to school or job to job, but they have never been eligible for a green card. I wonder if there have been people who have managed to stay legally in the U.S. for decades without ever finding a company or U.S. citizen spouse who can let them immigrate permanently. These kind of people want to stay in the U.S. and are always juggling the possibility of having to return to a home country where they don't know anyone anymore.

Perhaps diplomats' children face this dilemma? But I'm sure there are regular people as well, who came here with their parents and went to high school here, then they got an F-1 visa to go to college and then grad school, and then an H1-B visa to work.
I know someone who has been an LPR for 40 years with no plans to ever become a citizen. That's up to him; we don't require LPRs to become citizens.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM

938 posts, read 1,514,981 times
Yeah but they are a legal permanent resident. You can be a legal permanent resident for as long as you want as long as you renew every 10 years. I'm asking specifically about people who have been bouncing between visa statuses or getting them repeatedly extended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration