Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 05:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,352 times

Advertisements

a big hello from the uk hi im jay and currently in the process of trying to figure out how i can actually do this. i know its not goin to be as easy as i first thought and i have given my self a 5 year plan.
it all started after me and my wife came to seattle in june this year to vist our american friends. which was soo cool we loved every minute of it we just didnt want to come back home boo hoo.
anyway we have an idea of opening a food place in downtown seattle somewere capitol hill pioneer square some were like that.
to move there would be me my wife and our 4 kids. there ages in 5 years would range from 9 to 17.
we have a idea of were we would like to live and kirkland redmond are really nice.
i know we can just jump on a plane and set up but i cant seem to find any good information on what criteria we need to move to seattle. me and my wife both work self employed in the uk. i work for my self as a joiner ( carpenter ) and i do all other types of handy work. my wife is a car delivery driver for a big car company. we own our own home here in uk aswel. the reason for the 5 year plan is to save as much money as possible lol
so can anybody out there please help me out and try to make this dream a reality. thanks in advance jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 05:42 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Welcome to Travel.State.Gov
Going by the information you have given E2 will be the visa category you will have to apply for. It has to be renewed on a regular basis one requirement being profitability and job creation, kids will not be covered at 21, no work outside the business.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:08 AM

cool thanks for taking the time to reply is there not any specific criteria i need to relocate? like having x amount of cash in the bank etc. also ive read that i need a sponsor of some kind to recommend me to move. all this is new to me and im just tryin to figure things out. ive been researching on shop rentals house rentals schools health insurance.
havin talked to our friends that live there our idea seems a really good investment and we should'nt have any problems in making a good living from it. sorry for all the questions lol but its abig step and just need some really good info that can answer all my question thanks again jay

Old 08-12-2013, 07:02 AM

You need a visa! Visas for Treaty Traders and Treaty Investors

You are mixing apples and oranges here - sponsor is applicable when applying for a Green Card through an immediate family member.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 AM

thanks for the link much appreciated looks like i on the right track now thankyou

Old 08-12-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk jay 79 View Post
thanks for the link much appreciated looks like i on the right track now thankyou
Good luck!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:43 AM

507 posts, read 1,669,051 times
I don't want to be a party pooper here but I'd think this whole thing through extremely well. Firstly you have to have Visa to live and work in the US and the criteria for that, if you want to run your own business, are quite hard. You have to bring money and create jobs etc, that's not going to be easy but then I am not an expert on the field, so it might be wort investigating the details.

The other thing I would say is that if you want to run a food business you have to offer something special and given none of you appear to working in that industry right now, I am not sure how easy that is going to be for you. I have been living in Capitol Hill for the past three years and while there are new food places opening all the time a lot of them are closing very quickly as well. There is a lot of competition here and you will only make a good living if what you offer is better than the rest. So whatever you do, make sure what you offer is a cut above the rest.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
You'd be better off going to school to get some sort of degree in math or the sciences or computer science before emigrating.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:45 PM

16 posts, read 25,396 times
I wish you luck in fulfilling your dreams. But one caveat, Seattle is very seductive when the weather is as nice as it has been summer. It can make a jaw-dropping first impression, which does dissipate.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk jay 79 View Post
i know we can just jump on a plane and set up ...
Which is absolutely what you can't do - without documentation you won't even be able to get an operating license! I suggest you go to the first "sticky" on this page and thoroughly go through the USCIS website. You have a bunch of hoops to go through to get even the suggested visa AND a lot of money. If you have no experience in the food business (which it seems you don't) it's total lunacy to expect to be able to hop across the pond and open "a food place" in any area of a country you really know nothing about. Just giving you a reality check!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration