Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 AM

8 posts, read 20,145 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a graduated student planning to study in USA with my husband. I have some inquiries, I wonder if you can answer it:

I know If I get an admission I will get F1 status, my husband get F2. My husband usually offenses me in our home country.

But I'm afraid my husband offenses me in USA, perturbs me, or disrupts my studying. So if he makes this things there:

Can I send him back to home country (deportation), and how? What are the right and legal procedures should I take to deport him?

An additional query: Can I send him back if I tell the American police in the airport that he threats me?

any help.. I would be glad

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 05:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
You cannot deport your husband, that's the job of immigration authorities and they only do so under extreme circumstances. An accusation of domestic abuse isn't grounds for deportation. If your husband is physically abusing you then you call the police and obviously you should leave the marital home. If he "perturbs" you or "disrupts" your studying these are neither grounds to level domestic assault charges against him nor grounds for deportation.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 AM

24,559 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Why not just leave him behind when you are already planning to send him back? Unless he violates US law US police will not interfere.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 AM

442 posts, read 800,551 times

Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 AM

359 posts, read 779,799 times
this has the potential to be interesting. where in the US are you planning to be..

Old 08-13-2013, 09:10 AM

771 posts, read 1,459,566 times
Divorce before coming to the US so he can't get an F2 visa in the first place.

Or I guess you could divorce once you reach the United States, at which point he would be out of status. That doesn't necessarily mean he is going to leave, once he arrives, you can't control that. So the only thing that really makes sense is not to bring him over.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:13 AM

59 posts, read 113,103 times
If you are a victim of domestic violence, then perhaps you may want to consider seeking legal help to deal with that, before embarking on a cross-continent adventure.

Domestic violence is a serious offense in the U.S. There is a visa category reserved to victims of domestic violence who prove (with lots of evidence at times graphic) satisfactorily to U.S. government authorities that the abuse is so severe they need to seek refuge in the U.S. If this is your situation, you may want to find a qualified immigration attorney who can help on this.

As far as the visa issue is concerned, even if you do get an F-1 visa, your husband still has to apply for his own F-2 visa. It is not automatically given; he still has to go through the interview just as you do. If you truly feel threatened by him, you may want to mention it to the consular officer who interviews him - as long as you are prepared to prove your allegations. You cannot falsely accuse someone if you don't have some sort of proof. Remember that in the U.S. people are innocent until proven otherwise.

The other 'unknown' in your post is the nature of your husband's offenses. Does he beat you or physically/mentally abuse you? Or does he leave the toilet seat up, his socks on the floor and the cap off the toothpaste tube? One is a serious thing; the other one is just part of being married.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl2LVNV View Post
If you are a victim of domestic violence, then perhaps you may want to consider seeking legal help to deal with that, before embarking on a cross-continent adventure.

Domestic violence is a serious offense in the U.S. There is a visa category reserved to victims of domestic violence who prove (with lots of evidence at times graphic) satisfactorily to U.S. government authorities that the abuse is so severe they need to seek refuge in the U.S. If this is your situation, you may want to find a qualified immigration attorney who can help on this.

As far as the visa issue is concerned, even if you do get an F-1 visa, your husband still has to apply for his own F-2 visa. It is not automatically given; he still has to go through the interview just as you do. If you truly feel threatened by him, you may want to mention it to the consular officer who interviews him - as long as you are prepared to prove your allegations. You cannot falsely accuse someone if you don't have some sort of proof. Remember that in the U.S. people are innocent until proven otherwise.

The other 'unknown' in your post is the nature of your husband's offenses. Does he beat you or physically/mentally abuse you? Or does he leave the toilet seat up, his socks on the floor and the cap off the toothpaste tube? One is a serious thing; the other one is just part of being married.
If he beat her, she'd probably have said that. She's a graduate student and not shy about discussing her husband in cyberspace (since she's told us plotting to deport him).

OP: Please don't task our police and immigration system with fixing your marrital problems. That wouldn't make you a very considerate guest in our country.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:47 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl2LVNV View Post
The other 'unknown' in your post is the nature of your husband's offenses.
I'f say it's pretty telling when she says he, "perturbs me, or disrupts my studying."

Old 08-13-2013, 11:49 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
I am assuming that this is a serious situation, and that the OP's use of less impactful verbs comes from her unfamiliarity with the nuances of the English language. Let's see you try to describe assault and battery in Slovak.

The immigration system will not be involved in your domestic problems unless your husband is convicted of a crime.

If you are being abused, you should report the abuse to the authorities in your country and seek to separate yourself from your husband before coming to the United States.
If this is not possible you should try to prevent your husband from accompanying you to the United States by not submitting a visa application for him.
If this is not possible, then you should report the abuse to the police in the United States and seek to separate yourself from your husband.

You need to separate yourself from the abusive or dangerous situation as soon as possible. There are shelters and support organizations available for victims of domestic violence, regardless of nationality. However, you should not depend on these resources as they are not necessarily fully-funded or fully capable of protecting you from an abuser. Have a plan in place to prevent contact with your husband on your own.

You will want to prevent him from obtaining any information on where you will live, study, or be while in the United States so that you can avoid him.

You can utilize the police and social services as needed, but these systems are not as reliable as your own planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration