Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,146 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been googling this but it is all rather complicated for me, so I am wondering if anyone can explain my options to me. I want to go visit my fiance in USA in a few months. We plan on getting married in this time, the situation is a bit complicated though, I am from schengen area, so I can stay in the us without an official visa for three months. Right now the plan is to stay a bit longer htan that in the USA, about four to five months, so clearly over my allowed stay and then go to my home country for a year or more (our laws are way more easily understandable honestly haha). Every time I google I just get these permanent residency laws, where youd live in the usa after the marriage. What are my options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 10:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
If you haven't yet found the official website, here it is:

USCIS Home Page

It's a very easily navigable site and should answer all your questions. BUT you should be cautioned very strongly against overstaying your visit without a visa as you may find yourself unable to return to the US. You have plenty of time to get a visitor's visa for the US if it's needed, so do it.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:02 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I don't completely understand your question but you shouldn't overstay your three month visa as that would get you in trouble and you might never get a permanent visa. (If you want a permanent visa). You are getting married this time, while you are here?

If you eventually want to stay here you need to follow the strict rules. Have you ever checked out Visa Journey? It's a good website for immigration.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:05 PM

186 posts, read 362,410 times
since 20 million other people are here (or got here) illegally, I can't see why anyone "thinks" it's so hard to do.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trundle View Post
since 20 million other people are here (or got here) illegally, I can't see why anyone "thinks" it's so hard to do.
I think you're confusing this forum with the "Illegal Immigration" forum which you'll find under, "Politics and Other Controversies".

Old 09-02-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satinhail View Post
... I am from schengen area, so I can stay in the us without an official visa for three months. Right now the plan is to stay a bit longer htan that in the USA, about four to five months, so clearly over my allowed stay and then go to my home country for a year or more ...
OP, you probably know that you need an ESTA under the visa waiver program. You're allowed to stay up to 90 days and your passport will be duly stamped and the details electronically recorded upon entry to the US. Note the USCIS directive on overstaying:

"Failure to depart the United States on time will result in you being out of status, can void your visa, and may make you ineligible for visas you may apply for in the future. Review Visa Denials, Ineligibilities and Waivers: Laws, and section 222(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act to learn more."

Old 09-02-2013, 06:44 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,377,574 times
I understand the language barrier but by NOW you'd think aliens INTENDING to blow by the regulations would grab an English guy in the library and have them walk through the rules.
the consequences today may result in a ten year ban no return. sheesh.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:07 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
Why don't you try to get a long term B-2 Tourist Visa?

Getting a spouse visa is too much hassle when your stay is going to be that short.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:42 AM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Options for OP are fairly limited.

a) VWP with ESTA (if qualified) give up to 90 days.
b) B2 if approved gives up to 180 days. Once a B2 application is disapproved the VWP option does not apply any more. My only concern is what OP wants to present as binding ties with a pending marriage in the US?

Overstay can backfire as in non-entry or B2 refusal.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:42 PM

274 posts, read 705,117 times
I agree with other posts. Getting a B-2 visa should be the easier option at this point. With that you can stay up to 6 months and go back to your country and later come back whenever necessary.

I know sometimes it's tricky to get a B-2 visa, but if you are a citizen of those countries with Visa Waiver Program, you shouldn't have much problem getting B-2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration