Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 12:49 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Mexico does not WANT to solve the illegal immigration situation - they are making out quite well, thank you very much. They can send their poor to us to get jobs and benefits so THEY don't have to do anything, and they get the money sent back to Mexico.

They're no help to us with this problem. The Mexican government is corrupt and does NOT want to help their own citizens.
Dear Cousinsal, with all respect, the mexican government is as guilty as the american government.

The reason you don't see poor americans breaking into Mexico is because wages are lower here, but America has lots of poverty as well, now that things are getting more balanced let's see what happens.

I'm not making this out, the dollar's falling and the mexican economy is getting stronger, so are the economies of a lot of emerging countries, like China, India, Russia, Brazil, etc. imho the world is becoming more balanced now, this is going to have some consequences for sure, I hope you don't take this as an ofense but as an honest comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 06:01 PM

447 posts, read 797,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Have to agree with every word, I find that kind of behavior extremely disrespectful, and a magnet for antipathy, I have sympathy for those who broke the law because of ignorance, need or reasons that could be understood, but breaking it just to feel you are more clever and use this as a fact to spit in the face of others who decided to do things in the right way, is something I don't approve

That's why imho the new immigration law that was enacted in Mexico, which can give residence to people who really are going to contribute positively to society even if their status is ilegal is fair, the rest of them have their rights denied, and the law is enforced.

Thanks for putting me in your shoes vivski, and in the shoes of people who's against this kind of behavior, I'm beginning to understand the real reasons people is angry and frustrated, the problem imho is the way the system works in our times, they reward this kind of people by encouraging illegal behavior, and then giving rewards to these people to break the law, instead of encouraging laws to be followed, this is a spit in the face to all people who believes in respect and harmony. imho this is completely dysfunctional.
i wanted to give you a good rep, but couldnt...gotta spread it around, y'know? anyway, thanks for the response.
i like your posts.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:02 PM

447 posts, read 797,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I'm an American so I don't fully understand the immigrant experience in THIS country, but I have been an immigrant myself.

I emigrated to the United Kingdom several years ago as a legal immigrant. I filled out a lot of paperwork and wrote a lot of checks to the Home Office to keep myself legal. I still have the paperwork for each and every visa application I made in the United Kingdom. The UK doesn't have near the illegal problem that we here have, but I strongly resented people who snuck into the country and circumvented the UK's comparatively lax immigration requirements.

I was never subjected to a health check for immigration purposes in the UK, but I still had to demonstrate eligibility in other areas. I was usually questioned much more heavily as an immigrant re-entering the UK than I was as a tourist and I had to prove that I was in the country legally at every single job I ever took...my passport and visa were copied as a matter of routine. I took one job when my limited leave to remain visa was in effect, and when it was about to expire, HR at that company pestered me for a copy of my new visa. The Home Office lost my passport while they were processing the visa and I had to show my employer every scrap of paper that the Home Office sent me to reassure them that while my visa app was pending, I was not out of status even after my limited leave to remain visa expired. Once the indefinite leave to remain visa (like our green card) arrived, I had to produce it immediately or face termination. I was not allowed to start any job without first proving my eligibility to work in the UK.

I look at this issue from a few different perspectives...as a former expat who did everything the legal way when I emigrated to the UK, as the petitioner for a successful green card application for a foreign national, and as someone who comes from a border state...I've seen this issue from angles most Americans will never see it from.

I'm sick of people just assuming that just because I'm anti-illegal, I must be racist or lacking in compassion. It's ridiculous.
couldnt agree more.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:52 PM

402 posts, read 1,060,869 times
I want to know just how these people who are illegal, working for lower wages than we Americans are willing to work (others thoughts, not my own) can afford to send even $10.00 home to their families. It takes every cent we earn to just make ends meet and sometimes I beg from Peter to pay Paul. You know it just makes no sense to me where all this extra money comes from, unless they are sending wages home and living here off benefits that should be going to the poor and down trodden legal citizens in our own country.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:31 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw2 View Post
I want to know just how these people who are illegal, working for lower wages than we Americans are willing to work (others thoughts, not my own) can afford to send even $10.00 home to their families. It takes every cent we earn to just make ends meet and sometimes I beg from Peter to pay Paul. You know it just makes no sense to me where all this extra money comes from, unless they are sending wages home and living here off benefits that should be going to the poor and down trodden legal citizens in our own country.
Most of the poor people I know are in debt in their skulls.

Old 11-17-2007, 03:20 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Why is it considered so "horrible" that people move to a richer country to work and then send money back "home" to their families. The money is earnt by working- so, the amount of money transferred abroad, is also the same amount of work having been done in the country where it was earned.
Because they're taking money OUT of our economy and putting it into MEXICO'S economy. And the money earned by working, is made ILLEGALLY. It's taking jobs from citizens, that's why it's horrible.

Quote:
People sending money "back home", is the same as a citizen born in the richer country who gives away money as charity, or buys things over the Internet etc from another country, or who travels abroad and spends the money in another country as "tourism money".

If people send money abroad to their families, less governmental "charity" is needed, and less public charity as well.
Charity is a choice. It is your decision to give to a cause. This is more like someone stealing money out of your account for "charity" without your consent, in fact with you strongly opposing it. Does that seem fair to you?

Quote:
I don't understand why it is conceived as such a "society- horror".
If you lived in America, and saw the deterioration of your town, the drugs, the gangs, the loss of your friends' jobs, then you might understand why it's conceived as such a "society horror".

Old 11-17-2007, 08:13 AM

635 posts, read 1,746,403 times
If illegal immigrants could come legally don't you think they would. When you make a few dollars a day in their homeland, you start thinking more with you stomach than your head.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:49 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
If illegal immigrants could come legally don't you think they would. When you make a few dollars a day in their homeland, you start thinking more with you stomach than your head.
No, I don't think they would.

That's why a lot of them manage to scrounge $4000 to pay for a smuggler to get them across the border.

"Starving" indeed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration