Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 10:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSwartz View Post
I get your point but I don't think I can live by it at this time. I know it isn't the best case scenario. I'm willing to take the chance that we might get things wrong, but to me it is worth trying.
Is your friend putting pressure on you? Is she threatening to end the relationship if you don't sponsor her?

If your relationship is strong and lasting, it will last a brief separation. She would wait until you finish college and are in a position to financially provide for her. If she says she's going to break off with you if you don't sponsor her right here and now, then you really need to open your eyes.

You're only 22, the chances of a marriage working when you have no means of support, are incredibly slim, but even less if you're going into marriage under pressure.

If she loves you, she will wait until you're in a better financial position, she won't pressure you to drop out of college and find a job so she can get her green card, she will wait until the time is right for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 10:21 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I don't know why people are being so mean when you are asking a question about LEGAL immigation, trying to do it the right way.

You would be doing nothing illegal by just asking someone to sponsor your fiance but I don't think you would find anyone to do it. You could ask friends though. You can co-sponsor. I don't know how many sponsors are allowed to be combined but you need to get up to that level that is required. They have to have been at their job for a certain amount of time, submit tax records, get a signed statement from work saying that their job will continue.

It would be great if you could find one wonderful friend to agree to do it but it's a lot to ask someone to be on the hook for five years and to go through all that paperwork. They have to sign papers saying that they would be responsible for your support for FIVE years.

If you quit school now and worked full time it would probably be another year before you would have established enough of a work record to be able to be her sponsor.

The waiting and being apart does take its toll on a relationship and many people do break up during the long, stressful waiting process. I sympathize. All I can suggest is to see if you can sponsor her using a friend or if the process will allow several friends and relatives to all pitch in and combine their incomes in order to qualify.

The process is not easy when you are doing it legally. It's easier to sneak in, have no sponsor, and be illegal--you are to be commended for trying to do it the right way.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:25 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
He's 22 and still in college. He has no way to take on the financial support of immigrants and it's wrong in my opinion to expect others to do so. He's too young to think about marriage. If it's right, she will wait.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't know why people are being so mean when you are asking a question about LEGAL immigation, trying to do it the right way.
I'm not sure from where you're getting the impression that "people are being so mean". Nor am I sure you're reading him entirely correctly. This quote alone demonstrates quite explicitly that he's absolutely thinking of getting his fiancée in by a back door.

"I have been thinking that, even though I am sure it is not allowed in some capacity, I could basically buy someone off in order to sponsor my immigrant fiancee. Of course, I would rather do so in good faith without money being involved (especially since I don't have a lot of it), but at this point, if buying someone off works, I'm willing to do it. "

Pointing out the consequences of going about the operation illegally and directing him to the pertinent sections of the USCIS laws is hardly mean, neither as is pointing out that at 22 years old he's far better advised to get his life and career off on the right foot without so wildly complicating and jeopardizing it.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:14 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Suggest you go to the USCIS website and read the conditions attached to K-1 visas and sponsorships thereof.
lol, thanks for the pro tip but I already have because my wife is foreign and I had to sponsor her. Suggest you read it and point out the specific part where it says that its illegal for a sponsor to not be related.

Quote:
I'm not sure from where you're getting the impression that "people are being so mean". Nor am I sure you're reading him entirely correctly. This quote alone demonstrates quite explicitly that he's absolutely thinking of getting his fiancée in by a back door.

"I have been thinking that, even though I am sure it is not allowed in some capacity, I could basically buy someone off in order to sponsor my immigrant fiancee. Of course, I would rather do so in good faith without money being involved (especially since I don't have a lot of it), but at this point, if buying someone off works, I'm willing to do it. "

Pointing out the consequences of going about the operation illegally and directing him to the pertinent sections of the USCIS laws is hardly mean, neither as is pointing out that at 22 years old he's far better advised to get his life and career off on the right foot without so wildly complicating and jeopardizing it.
Again I don't see where anyone is trying to do anything illegal. Nothing he suggested would require any paperwork falsification. ITS PERFECTLY LEGAL FOR A COMPLETE STRANGER TO SIGN ON AS A INDEPENT SPONSOR. I have read nothing in the requirements that state otherwise.

Last edited by justanokie; 10-13-2013 at 02:32 PM..

Old 10-13-2013, 03:08 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I still don't think there is anything illegal with the suggestion. The pettitioner has to sponsor but anyone else can be a co-sponsor. No relation required.

The immigrant CAN sue the sponsor. This has established case precendence, you simply don't know what your talking about. In most cases, it will be the gov agency that provides assistance that will wind up doing the sueing. However the immigrant can sue ANY sponsor to be compensated directly. If you would read your own link you would find that info included.
Be so kind to give the respective link to actual cases.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:10 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post

Again I don't see where anyone is trying to do anything illegal. Nothing he suggested would require any paperwork falsification. ITS PERFECTLY LEGAL FOR A COMPLETE STRANGER TO SIGN ON AS A INDEPENT SPONSOR. I have read nothing in the requirements that state otherwise.

OP wants to use someone's financial situation to purchase the sponsorship. Hey - I give you 1000 bucks you give me your tax returns and sign on the dotted line that you will be financially liable for my wife.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:01 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,178 times
Quote:

Exactly. OP was clear that he wants to pay off a stranger (possibly from Craigslist) who is not actually willing to sponsor his wife. He wants assistance in creating a fraudulent application in exchange for cash. That's not exactly subtle!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Be so kind to give the respective link to actual cases.
Okay...lol

Case
http://www.ilw.com/immigrationdaily/...107-stump1.pdf

Immigration Act statutes link with relevant section quoted.

USCIS - I-Link Reference

Quote:
INA: ACT 213A - REQUIREMENTS FOR SPONSOR'S AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT 1/

Sec. 213A. (a) Enforceability.-

(1) Terms of affidavit.-No affidavit of support may be accepted by the Attorney General or by any consular officer to establish that an alien is not excludable as a public charge under section 212(a)(4) unless such affidavit is executed by a sponsor of the alien as a contract-

(A) in which the sponsor agrees to provide support to maintain the sponsored alien at an annual income that is not less than 125 percent of the Federal poverty line during the period in which the affidavit is enforceable;

(B) that is legally enforceable against the sponsor by the sponsored alien, the Federal Government, any State (or any political subdivision of such State) or by any other entity that provides any means-tested public benefit (as defined in subsection (e)), consistent with the provisions of this section; and

(C) in which the sponsor agrees to submit to the jurisdiction of any Federal or State court for the purpose of actions brought under subsection (b)(2).
Quote:
The Attorney General shall enforce this paragraph under appropriate regulations.

(e) Jurisdiction.-An action to enforce an affidavit of support executed under subsection (a) may be brought against the sponsor in any appropriate court-

(1) by a sponsored alien, with respect to financial support; or

(2) by the appropriate entity of the Federal Government, a State or any political subdivision of a State, or by any other nongovernmental entity under subsection (b)(2), with respect to reimbursement.
Its actually worse than I thought. The judge in that case actually said that an immigrant can bring a lawsuit against a sponsor ON TOP of and separate from any lawsuit brought by a government agency. In other words the immigrant can move on and file for every government benefit available (The gov would sue the sponsor for comensation) and the immigrant could then turn around and sue for 125% of poverty level in direct compensation. This could get very costly for a sponsor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
OP wants to use someone's financial situation to purchase the sponsorship. Hey - I give you 1000 bucks you give me your tax returns and sign on the dotted line that you will be financially liable for my wife.
Care to provide a link to exactly what law would be broken?

Old 10-15-2013, 02:28 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I think most people on here don't realize what they are talking about. The only weird part I've seen is the part about asking for a sponsor on CL and the OP probably wouldn't find one there anyway.

Most people find a co-sponsor who is a friend or relative or some combination thereof. There is nothing "illegal" or "wrong" with this and that's what you're supposed to do if you do not have sufficient funds to do 100% of the sponsoring yourself.

The people who tell you to go read the USCIS site haven't read it themselves and are just to ready to pounce all over someone who is at least trying to do things the legal way? The ILLEGAL way would be to sneak in without a sponsor at all.

I sponsored my husband and a friend with a high paying job helped. All it means is that he cannot get gov't benefits for five years. He doesn't want or need govt benefits so no problem. A lot of people don't make enough money to sponsor someone else so they have to combine their income with someone else's. The immigrant comes here, gets the green card, and works. The sponsor serves as a legal backup so that the person can never get welfare, that's all. But the immigrant works so no need for welfare. It's not that hard to understand once you read it.

Really, if you feel the need to bash someone over immigration, feel free to go to the illegal immigration forum where (I think) they deserve to be bashed for trying to sneak through the system. On this thread we have an honest person looking for a sponsor.

Getting in LEGALLY is hard. It would take YEARS for the OP to be well enough established in a job so that the govt would consider him good enough to be a sole sponsor. Quitting school and getting a fulltime job at Burger King is probably not going to give him enough money and a good work history for being a sponsor although maybe....maybe it would do the trick if he cannot find a co-sponsor. He would have to work there at least a year and get them to write a letter saying that he would continue to be employed there. Fiances can get rather nervous in the meantime, waiting and waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration