Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:07 PM

104 posts, read 241,618 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have some questions regarding financial aspects of the K-1 visa.

It is my understanding that a person filing for the K-1 visa must prove that they will be able to provide adequate financial support for an immigrant fiancee.

I don't have a direct question, but i have thought out a plan that I am hoping will work under my circumstances and I would like your opinions on it. I'll give a little background information first.

I am a student that has been seeing a foreigner for two years (we've known each other for about five years) and due to a change in her living situation, we are at a breaking point. We are both getting older and getting tired even though we love each other very much. I was originally going to go live with her at first, but the only way we can make things work now is if she comes and lives with me. It isn't ideal but it is the only option since it is the only avenue we can take where I can finish school, which is something that I believe I need to have in order for us to live the kind of life that we want to have.

The problem with this is probably obvious if you are familiar with the K-1 visa. From my understanding, a person must prove adequate financial support either in the form of assets or income. Unfortunately I have no proven income at present and my assets are relatively little in comparison to the number that the government looks for in K-1 applications, that number being an income 125% above the poverty level for two people (or just a little under $20,000 for the continental US).

Unfortunately both of my parents are pretty poor too in terms of income. My father is retired; I don't think he makes $20,000 a year, I don't want to ask him, and I don't think that he would help me regardless. My mother is a home owner but her income is little as well. I do not believe family would be willing to help me either, and just as well I would rather, if at all possible, not go through them for personal reasons.

I am thinking that I could either make a post on Craigslist basically begging for someone's help (this feels pathetic but it is really a last resort), or make it into an opportunity for someone who is down and out. I have been thinking that, even though I am sure it is not allowed in some capacity, I could basically buy someone off in order to sponsor my immigrant fiancee. Of course, I would rather do so in good faith without money being involved (especially since I don't have a lot of it), but at this point, if buying someone off works, I'm willing to do it. Of course, I could see this being difficult because that person acting as the sponsor is taking on liability in assuming that we won't abuse government benefits, but, if I go this route, hopefully I can find a person willing to help that is either just plain good-hearted, or needs money bad enough that they are willing to help me in exchange for some short-term relief.

I'm also more than prepared for criticism but I have considered this for some time. I am aware this is an abuse of the system but it isn't negotiable because there isn't any realistic option available aside from this one. So, what do you guys think? I would really appreciate any thoughts/ opinions/ factual information that you have.

Last edited by MSwartz; 10-11-2013 at 08:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 08:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSwartz View Post
... even though I am sure it is not allowed in some capacity, I could basically buy someone off in order to sponsor my immigrant fiancee.
So, what do you guys think? I would really appreciate any thoughts/ opinions/ factual information that you have.
No kidding. Up to 5 years in prison and up to $250,000 fine. Have you even read the requirements for a K1 visa sponsor? You can easily find them by clicking on the USCIS link in the first "sticky" on this forum.

Your idea is not only strictly illegal but sheer lunacy at best.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
No kidding. Up to 5 years in prison and up to $250,000 fine. Have you even read the requirements for a K1 visa sponsor? You can easily find them by clicking on the USCIS link in the first "sticky" on this forum.

Your idea is not only strictly illegal but sheer lunacy at best.
Yes, I have read over most of the information relating to the K-1 visa on USCIS website. I never saw any requirements for the sponsor in the affidavit of support other than their income level (which I was somewhat wrong about, but it still doesn't change my situation).

I don't want to break the law. I just do not know if it is avoidable given my circumstance.

Thanks for the reply, though.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:14 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Yes, I have read over most of the information relating to the K-1 visa on USCIS website. I never saw any requirements for the sponsor in the affidavit of support other than their income level (which I was somewhat wrong about, but it still doesn't change my situation).

I don't want to break the law. I just do not know if it is avoidable given my circumstance.

Thanks for the reply, though.
You really think you can get lure some unsuspecting "good at heart" or "down and out" to provide tax returns and sign an affidavit to provide for your bride for ten years or until she has the required work credits for a couple of dollars?

Your situation is something you have to work on. Get a job, get two jobs, what do you plan to support two with once she is here, what keeps her from working and saving every penny to add to savings for her AoS, what keeps her family from supporting her plans?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Of course it's avoidable. Don't do it. If someone were dumb enough to answer your ad (which of course would be there for all the world to see on craigslist - including government agencies ) not only would you and your fiancée be afoul of immigration laws (and she'd likely never be allowed to enter the US) but the dumb responder would also be subject to the same penalties of jail time and fines.

If your love for each other is strong enough it'll withstand a couple more years of separation until such time as you're financially able to sponsor her. We're all getting older but if you're still a student then I'm guessing you're only in your 20s so you've plenty of time ahead of you to do things the right and legal way.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You really think you can get lure some unsuspecting "good at heart" or "down and out" to provide tax returns and sign an affidavit to provide for your bride for ten years or until she has the required work credits for a couple of dollars?
Lure is a pretty strong word. I think that it implies fraudulence, and I don't have any intention to, nor do I believe that I will be acting in detriment to anyone willing to offer their support to us. I have read that I-864 form has very little legal weight in that it is not usually pursued by the government, but that is outside the point. I don't intend to defraud anyone.

It would be a fraudulent action towards the government, but that isn't how your statement was directed, and again, I have no intention of taking money from public welfare.

Quote:
Your situation is something you have to work on. Get a job, get two jobs, what do you plan to support two with once she is here, what keeps her from working and saving every penny to add to savings for her AoS, what keeps her family from supporting her plans?
Financial support will be available to us in many forms, from my working to both of our parents. I know it is something that will require considerable work, but I know that it is possible. There are many people in the United States that are poorer and have less opportunities than we do.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Of course it's avoidable. Don't do it. If someone were dumb enough to answer your ad (which of course would be there for all the world to see on craigslist - including government agencies ) not only would you and your fiancée be afoul of immigration laws (and she'd likely never be allowed to enter the US) but the dumb responder would also be subject to the same penalties of jail time and fines.

If your love for each other is strong enough it'll withstand a couple more years of separation until such time as you're financially able to sponsor her. We're all getting older but if you're still a student then I'm guessing you're only in your 20s so you've plenty of time ahead of you to do things the right and legal way.
Point taken. I am 22, so you are right. I will consider your post but there is more to this situation that is forcing my hand.

I have been looking through the USCIS website and I noticed that the income requirement for the I-864 form is 125% of the federal poverty guideline minimum income requirement for one person (I had some facts confused at the time of my OP). I believe that I have some friends that make enough money to qualify for this, but I will have to ask. So, maybe I can do this legally after all.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:40 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Lure is a pretty strong word. I think that it implies fraudulence, and I don't have any intention to, nor do I believe that I will be acting in detriment to anyone willing to offer their support to us. I have read that I-864 form has very little legal weight in that it is not usually pursued by the government, but that is outside the point. I don't intend to defraud anyone. .
What your intentions are is irrelevant. The sponsor is legally responsible. What you have read is also irrelevant. "The Government" does pursue sponsors if applicable.

Quote:
It would be a fraudulent action towards the government, but that isn't how your statement was directed, and again, I have no intention of taking money from public welfare. .
It is not fraudulent - it is illegal and might disqualify your bride on a permanent basis for receiving a Green Card.

Quote:
Financial support will be available to us in many forms, from my working to both of our parents. .
I know it is something that will require considerable work, but I know that it is possible. Now the parents unable and potentially unwilling to support AoS will be financial support for two?

Quote:
There are many people in the United States that are poorer and have less opportunities than we do.
They do not need a Green Card for a wife.

Please get off the pink cloud. US Immigration is a cut and dry business. It is something the two of you have to deal with or not.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Point taken. I am 22, so you are right. I will consider your post but there is more to this situation that is forcing my hand.

I have been looking through the USCIS website and I noticed that the income requirement for the I-864 form is 125% of the federal poverty guideline minimum income requirement for one person (I had some facts confused at the time of my OP). I believe that I have some friends that make enough money to qualify for this, but I will have to ask. So, maybe I can do this legally after all.
Good grief, your hand isn't being forced to do anything!

After reading your latest responses, I'm torn between wondering if you're simply trolling or really are possessed of such flawed logic as you're demonstrating. If the latter then I totally support that you have your facts confused - but not just "some".

You'll find the USCIS website linked in the first "sticky" on this forum and I seriously suggest that you go to it and read not just "most of the information relating to the K-1 visa" but every single word of it including all the related instructions. Good luck.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Now the parents unable and potentially unwilling to support AoS will be financial support for two?
My parents aren't earners above the 125% threshold. I never said that they were totally unwilling to help, rather the fact is that they can't in the manner that I need them to. Her parents are generous but foreign citizens aren't applicable under the I-864 form.

I am not on a cloud, but just trying to figure some things out. The fact that I started a thread here in the form of a question is a testament to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration