Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 05:08 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My children finished college with no debt.
And what about you? Your significant other?

They may have finished with no debt, but judging by the context of your sentence, they at one time or another borrowed money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 PM

18 posts, read 32,952 times
May I ask how they paid for it? Finishing college with no debt is an ideal thing but not everybody has parents who help out their children with bills and finances. Even when I was in college I worked fulled time and there was still no way I could have paid for it on my own, I lived on my own and paid all my bills on my own. I am currently paying off my student loans now so am I a parasite because I used student loans?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
As long as the student loans are repaid there's nothing "parasitic" about it. He's not talking about his future bride becoming dependent on social services ...
Doesn't the spouse sponsoring the immigrant agree to be financially responsible for his/her immigrant?

I think that's the whole problem of family sponsorship, very very little is really expected of the sponsor.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Doesn't the spouse sponsoring the immigrant agree to be financially responsible for his/her immigrant?
Yes. But once the spouse has a GC he/she is eligible to apply for student loans, etc.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:54 AM

24,546 posts, read 10,869,900 times
As Resident Alien she will be eligible for financial assistance. Depending on he institution she wants to study at it might make sense financially for her to wait until she is eligible for in-state tuition. Admissions and financial aid at the respective institution can work out a complete plan for her.

Yes it is possible to get a PhD without financial support of parents or loans. Pick the right field and work your fanny off.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipitop View Post

None, no one of this all foreign students get students loan. They all take pell grant, tm study for free. And you know that very well. And politician, at last republicans, know that very well. It will be stopped soon or lather.

No we Americans do not believe that you will not be parasite as you want start like parasite. Go home back to Mexico. We do not want you here.
Maybe before you opine you should look more carefully into the US immigration laws so that you know what you're talking about. You can go to the USCIS website linked in the first "sticky" on this forum to further your knowledge on the subject. It sounds from your post that English isn't your first language.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:01 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
That is nice and all, but depending on the tuition amount, that is just not possible for most people.

My tution was $11k a year not counting summer session; on top of that I need to eat and a place to sleep. A job that pays $8/hr full time is only $16,640 a year gross. At $15/hr is $31,200; now without an education or any experience, where in the heck does someone find a job that not only pays for tuition, but pays for housing and food? Also allows enough flexibility to attend classes?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Aren't immigrants supposed to bring enough money with them to take care of all their needs? Parasite is correct.
Take care of needs such as housing and food; college is not considered a "need".

You obviously have no knowledge of the immigration system, nor do you seem to want to gain any knowledge about it.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

I think that's the whole problem of family sponsorship, very very little is really expected of the sponsor.
College is not considered a need in regards to financial support.

There are expectations of the sponsor, it is spelled out very clear. There are minimum income requirements.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:46 PM

678 posts, read 1,065,149 times
Quote:
Many people do, and if you think only foreigners are parasites to America I'll have you talk to some of my former students and former classmate who ran off to Australia to get jobs and marry Australians so they wouldn't have to pay back their student loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration