Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 10:04 PM

543 posts, read 943,562 times

Advertisements

Hey guys.
I don't know if this is the right forum to post this query but I'd really appreciate any advice I get.

I have lived in Canada for almost 2 years, first as a student and then on a work permit for around 18 months. I came back in the month of June 2012.
Now, I want to start my own business in Canada and want to apply under the business visa category. However to do that I need to have a meeting with some angel investors in Canada. So I have decided to for for a few months on a tourist visa to do so.

What are my chances of approval/rejection seeing as...

I have no job currently. I quit my last job in November.
I am not showing any income tax returns.
I have a letter of invitation from my landlord stating that I can stay at his place for 2 months. Travel expenses are mine.
I have a good bank statement and will be providing the last six months record.
As stated....I have already lived in Canada for 2 years.

In my letter of intent I am being very honest in that I want to apply under the start up visa category sometime in 2016 and I am going to meet a few angel investors in Toronto. My approximate stay duration is 2 months and at the end I will leave for the U.S to meet my uncle who stays there.
I also have a 10 year US tourist visa.
I have applied for a multiple entry category in case I'd need to come back later this year or in 2015- all of which I have stated in the intent letter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 05:35 AM

35,691 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Canada is pretty back n forth with the proper forms..the us and Canada have a nice agreement. I don't see an issue. BUT you seem to have one as you have been there before and now wondering if you can re-enter-??

Old 01-17-2014, 06:01 AM

543 posts, read 943,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Canada is pretty back n forth with the proper forms..the us and Canada have a nice agreement. I don't see an issue. BUT you seem to have one as you have been there before and now wondering if you can re-enter-??

Yeah, I mean after studying I worked for a year and then realized I wasn't loving what I was doing so, instead of being a burden on the government I chose to return home to figure what I want to do. After a year and a half of introspection and job hopping I now know I want to start my own business in something I am terribly passionate about.

Canada has a start up visa category in which I intend to apply to go back and set my business up. Do well for myself and create jobs in Canada. But I need to meet investors and hence I am thinking of going on a tourist visa to talk to them first.

Problem is, the visa officers are morons. I mean I know they are doing their job, but they give visas to people who don't even do anything, instead become a burden on the country(I am sure America has loads of them too) whereas genuine people like me have to fight tooth and nail.

You have no idea how arduous the process has been. And it might still get rejected!

Old 01-17-2014, 10:34 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Yeah, I mean after studying I worked for a year and then realized I wasn't loving what I was doing so, instead of being a burden on the government I chose to return home to figure what I want to do. After a year and a half of introspection and job hopping I now know I want to start my own business in something I am terribly passionate about.

Canada has a start up visa category in which I intend to apply to go back and set my business up. Do well for myself and create jobs in Canada. But I need to meet investors and hence I am thinking of going on a tourist visa to talk to them first.

Problem is, the visa officers are morons. I mean I know they are doing their job, but they give visas to people who don't even do anything, instead become a burden on the country(I am sure America has loads of them too) whereas genuine people like me have to fight tooth and nail.

You have no idea how arduous the process has been. And it might still get rejected!
Well, visa officers not always can see who is "genuine" and who is not. Sometimes, you have to prove you're a "genuine" person.

In addition, I think if you didn't have any business before/no history of being successful as an entrepreneur, it might be more difficult for you to qualify in this particular visa category and to show that your business will be successful and that it will benefit Canada.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:34 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Most important thing is where are you right now? India? How strong are your ties to India?
Based on that answer, one can predict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration