Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:04 AM

3,843 posts, read 4,509,711 times

Advertisements

My husband, who is from the UK, got his U.S. citizenship last summer.
He can retain his British passport, but he will still need to apply for a U.S. passport for travel correct?
Does he need to carry both passports with him when traveling to Europe?
We have a family reunion to go to in England.

Thank you, I'm looking on line, but always good to hear from people with personal experience.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 12:04 PM

24,245 posts, read 10,556,999 times
He has to exit and enter the US with his US passport.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,572,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
He has to exit and enter the US with his US passport.
But he can enter the UK with his British passport though, right? The reason I ask is that that several UK friends over the years who became US citizens retained both passports and thus were able to avoid the respective "foreign arrivals" gates by using one or the other.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:33 PM

Default Ah ha!

This is what I've found from the Embassy of the United States London/UK website... (bold mine)

Question: Can I hold more than one passport or nationality?

Answer: Yes. In the 1980's, the Supreme Court ruled that citizenship is a constitutional right that cannot be taken away from a citizen who does not intend to relinquish it. Therefore, such actions as naturalization in a foreign country, employment with a foreign government, and/or voting in a foreign election do not automatically jeopardize American citizenship. However, please note that all U.S. citizens, even dual nationals, must enter and depart the United States on U.S. passports.

U.S. Citizenship & Immigration (USCIS) | Embassy of the United States

Old 01-28-2014, 12:57 PM

983 posts, read 1,629,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
My husband, who is from the UK, got his U.S. citizenship last summer.
He can retain his British passport, but he will still need to apply for a U.S. passport for travel correct?
Does he need to carry both passports with him when traveling to Europe?
We have a family reunion to go to in England.

Thank you, I'm looking on line, but always good to hear from people with personal experience.

Cheers!
Has to exit and return on US passport. He does not NEED both while in Europe. He could find it convenient for whatever reason, but it's not necessary.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:03 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,887,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
But he can enter the UK with his British passport though, right? The reason I ask is that that several UK friends over the years who became US citizens retained both passports and thus were able to avoid the respective "foreign arrivals" gates by using one or the other.
He has to use his US passport to leave the USA and re-enter again. However, he can use his UK passport to enter the UK or for any other country with the exception of the USA.

If he chooses to enter the UK on his US passport he will have to go in the 'others' line and justify his reason for entering the UK. Without his UK passport he will not be treated as a UK citizen or as a European citizen when entering other EU countries.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:10 PM

^^^ Yes, that was my understanding and the point I was making. Carrying/using both respectively is a convenience.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:28 PM

24,245 posts, read 10,556,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Correct.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
He has to use his US passport to leave the USA and re-enter again. However, he can use his UK passport to enter the UK or for any other country with the exception of the USA.

If he chooses to enter the UK on his US passport he will have to go in the 'others' line and justify his reason for entering the UK. Without his UK passport he will not be treated as a UK citizen or as a European citizen when entering other EU countries.
Curious... how will he be "treated" differently and by whom? Are you referring to customs? My son and I will be the "others" and sent to the appropriate line I suppose, but wouldn't he be just waiting for us?

And while he's waiting, if he's being served tea and biscuits, then I'll understand the preferential treatment...but boy I'll be mad!

Old 01-29-2014, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Curious... how will he be "treated" differently and by whom? Are you referring to customs?
Just semantics and referring to the discussed convenience of not having to go through the longer non-citizen line when it comes to customs and immigration. You won't have a choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration