Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 07:35 AM

3 posts, read 11,776 times

Advertisements

We are a spanish couple living in London, we are both single.
We had applied for the US Diversity Visa Lottery, the results are available in May 2014

We had plans to get married in April (before the Lottery results) so we stated that we are married in our lottery applications. But now due family affairs we probably need to delay our wedding, but we don't want to compromise our visa application!

As this is going to be very soon we need to know:

What could happens if we don't get married before the Lottery, resulting in our marital status to be different than what we submitted in our application?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 09:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
The chances of your winning the lottery are very slim but I guess if it happened you could have a quick civil ceremony so you'd be "official" and then have whatever other ceremony you plan at some later date. No doubt saying that you were married on the application when you're not may go against you since you swore to to tell the truth when you applied and there's always the chance that you'll be disqualified for that ... Sorry not to be of more help.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:55 AM

Default thanks!

Yes this is what I had been reading around... tricky as we were about to get married in between application and the lottery, but as you said we probably made a mistake saying we were already married...

thanks so much!

Old 02-04-2014, 07:55 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimee View Post
Yes this is what I had been reading around... tricky as we were about to get married in between application and the lottery, but as you said we probably made a mistake saying we were already married...

thanks so much!
So you both submitted a diversity application reporting yourselves as married, but you're not really married?

Old 02-05-2014, 03:02 AM

Our mistake, anyway we will get married in a couple of weeks, that's more important than any lottery to be honest

Old 02-06-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimee View Post
Our mistake, anyway we will get married in a couple of weeks, that's more important than any lottery to be honest
Like someone said, the odds of you winning are slim to none.

But even if you do win, you'll be disqualified for lying about being married. It's not an "honest mistake", it's DV lottery fraud.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:36 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
Now pray that you do not win lottery this year. After marriage, next year again you can apply for lottery.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:42 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
Like someone said, the odds of you winning are slim to none.

But even if you do win, you'll be disqualified for lying about being married. It's not an "honest mistake", it's DV lottery fraud.
That's both an oversimplification and bleak way of looking at it.

They thought they would be married at the time of the results and thought that would be the most correct answer in their situation, fraud implies malicious intent, there was none here.

I've immigrated myself, and frankly filling out US Government papers with sometimes lacking or outdated guides are not always the easiest. I can see how making this mistake was indeed an honest one.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
That's both an oversimplification and bleak way of looking at it.

They thought they would be married at the time of the results and thought that would be the most correct answer in their situation, fraud implies malicious intent, there was none here.

I've immigrated myself, and frankly filling out US Government papers with sometimes lacking or outdated guides are not always the easiest. I can see how making this mistake was indeed an honest one.
No it is not.

Lying about your spouse or children is an auto-disqualify. And there's a good reason for it. Fraud does not imply malicious intent. There's no malicious intent in trying to increase your odds of winning. But it's still fraudulent. You're either married at the time you submit your application or you're not. Your choices are either married or single.

Yes or no.

If yes, when were you married?

In this instance, she would have lied twice.

1. Claiming she was married when she was not; and
2. Giving the date of marriage which did not occur.

So although you would have us believe a simple yes or no question is "confusing", when she took the additional step of inventing a date of marriage, that action showed her intent to deceive because she had to invent a date of marriage.

There are some questions that may be confusing when filling out immigration forms. But this is not one of them.

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/...structions.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration