Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 08:21 PM

3 posts, read 11,958 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My friend had the following questions, hope someone can answer them .. this forum has been a great help to him so far and I hope you can shed some light on this too:

I came to the USA few weeks ago on a K-1 Fiancee Visa (approved I-129F petition), already got married.
I'm going to apply for an Adjustment of Status (AOS) I-485 petition as soon as I'm finished with preparing the required documents ...

But I'm currently stuck with a few of them:
1-I've recently learned that NOA2 (I-797) is required, among other things, as an evidence of eligibility BUT I've lost my NOA2. After some searching, I found that I need to fill an I-824 form to get a duplicate copy, is this correct? If yes, how long does it take? does it really cost $400+ just to get a duplicate copy?!!

2-I've also learned that Medical examination I-693 form is required, I've already taken my medical examination & vaccination before as a part of the visa process couple of month ago, and I ONLY have the vaccination record ...
From the I-693 instructions I see that it's not required to retake the medical exam again ...
BUT does it mean that I no longer need to submit an I-693 form? Or do I just need the first page of the form? and Should it be a civil surgeon or the local health dept. that signs the first page? will either consider filling/signing the entire/partial form based on the vaccination record only as I don't have the previous medical exam's report?

3-Is my birth certificate also required? If yes, It's in Arabic and I'm guessing there needs to be an English translation .. If so, does it have to be a state-approved translator/office(if there's such a thing)? If not, then who?

If you can direct us through, It'd be greatly appreciated,
Kind regards!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 04:54 AM

832 posts, read 1,411,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedZaki View Post
Hello everyone,

My friend had the following questions, hope someone can answer them .. this forum has been a great help to him so far and I hope you can shed some light on this too:

I came to the USA few weeks ago on a K-1 Fiancee Visa (approved I-129F petition), already got married.
I'm going to apply for an Adjustment of Status (AOS) I-485 petition as soon as I'm finished with preparing the required documents ...

But I'm currently stuck with a few of them:
1-I've recently learned that NOA2 (I-797) is required, among other things, as an evidence of eligibility BUT I've lost my NOA2. After some searching, I found that I need to fill an I-824 form to get a duplicate copy, is this correct? If yes, how long does it take? does it really cost $400+ just to get a duplicate copy?!!

2-I've also learned that Medical examination I-693 form is required, I've already taken my medical examination & vaccination before as a part of the visa process couple of month ago, and I ONLY have the vaccination record ...
From the I-693 instructions I see that it's not required to retake the medical exam again ...
BUT does it mean that I no longer need to submit an I-693 form? Or do I just need the first page of the form? and Should it be a civil surgeon or the local health dept. that signs the first page? will either consider filling/signing the entire/partial form based on the vaccination record only as I don't have the previous medical exam's report?

3-Is my birth certificate also required? If yes, It's in Arabic and I'm guessing there needs to be an English translation .. If so, does it have to be a state-approved translator/office(if there's such a thing)? If not, then who?

If you can direct us through, It'd be greatly appreciated,
Kind regards!
1. You need your passport stamp and I-94 copy showing your entry as a K1. I'm not sure what NOA you're talking about except the K1 approval. Which your USC spouse should have, not you. Not having that won't get your application denied. The most important part is the copy of your passport showing your entry.

2. Include a copy of your medical examination from your visa packet. Make sure you include your vaccination form, that's most important. You can include an I-693 and fill out the first page, but make sure that you refer to your K1 medical. If you insist on a fresh I-693 because it's been over a year since your entry, then see the USCIS website for authorized civil surgeons and new I-693. But again, it's not required and you can refer to the USCIS website to see that your medical exam was extended by one year per memo.

3. Your birth certificate is required and you must include a certified translation. Meaning, whoever translates it must have it notarized stating that they're competent to translate and the translation is an accurate one. It doesn't have to be done by a "state approved" person, that's not required. Many embassies will do it as a courtesy for you, but it's not required.

3. Include your marriage certificate and any other joint documents since your entry. The joint documents aren't necessary, but photos and stuff help. Don't include any photos that were in your K1 packet. It would be logical to include photos of the wedding and celebration.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
1. I'm not sure what NOA you're talking about except the K1 approval. Which your USC spouse should have, not you.
I understand and she can't find it and so, it is lost.

Quote:
Not having that won't get your application denied.
1-So when it's requested as an evidence, what should I be doing?!
OR will it not be requested at all? If so, then that's amazing a burden has been lift off of my shoulders!

Quote:
2. Include a copy of your medical examination from your visa packet.
2-Meaning what exactly? I don't have any type of report on my medical examination .. so what copy do I need?
I think I have the medical examination's request that was sent to me by the embassy as a part of the visa packet .. is that what you're referring to?

Quote:
You can include an I-693 and fill out the first page, but make sure that you refer to your K1 medical.
3-How do I "refer" to my K1 Medical? There's no place where I can do that in this form.
Even signing the first page of this form must be done in front of a civil surgeon.
I do NOT intend to refill I-693 or retake the medical examination whatsoever.
I'm only trying to understand how am I supposed to apply for AOS using my K1 Medical examination record instead of I-693.
What I understand so far is that I need my vaccination record .. and that I do have.

Quote:
3. Your birth certificate is required and you must include a certified translation. Meaning, whoever translates it must have it notarized stating that they're competent to translate and the translation is an accurate one. It doesn't have to be done by a "state approved" person, that's not required. Many embassies will do it as a courtesy for you, but it's not required.
Thank you I will try to find a proper translator then.

Quote:
3. Include your marriage certificate and any other joint documents since your entry. The joint documents aren't necessary, but photos and stuff help. Don't include any photos that were in your K1 packet. It would be logical to include photos of the wedding and celebration.
Thank you for the extra tip, will do exactly that!

Much appreciated, Mrs. Kay!

Old 04-05-2014, 08:35 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,429,325 times
Quote:
I worked for many years at a foreign consulate in the US and we regularly translated birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc., so go in person to your nearest consulate and they'll likely be happy to oblige.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:42 AM

832 posts, read 1,411,002 times
Quote:
I understand and she can't find it and so, it is lost.

1-So when it's requested as an evidence, what should I be doing?!
OR will it not be requested at all? If so, then that's amazing a burden has been lift off of my shoulders!

2-Meaning what exactly? I don't have any type of report on my medical examination .. so what copy do I need?
I think I have the medical examination's request that was sent to me by the embassy as a part of the visa packet .. is that what you're referring to?

3-How do I "refer" to my K1 Medical? There's no place where I can do that in this form.
Even signing the first page of this form must be done in front of a civil surgeon.
I do NOT intend to refill I-693 or retake the medical examination whatsoever.
I'm only trying to understand how am I supposed to apply for AOS using my K1 Medical examination record instead of I-693.
What I understand so far is that I need my vaccination record .. and that I do have.

Thank you for the extra tip, will do exactly that!

Much appreciated, Mrs. Kay!
1. Your I-94 showing proof of your K1 entry should suffice. They like the NOA showing approval, but it's not strictly required and not having it will not get your application denied because a copy of your K1 visa plus the stamp showing your entry indicates that you've been inspected and admitted. That's the goal of that portion (requesting the NOA etc), to show you've been inspected and admitted in the correct classification.

2/3. I forgot that most people don't keep a copy of their full medical report because it's sealed and sent in with your visa. Just fill out the first page of the I-693 with the biographic information and attach the vaccination report.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
2/3. I forgot that most people don't keep a copy of their full medical report because it's sealed and sent in with your visa.
Exactly!

Quote:
Just fill out the first page of the I-693 with the biographic information and attach the vaccination report.
So just the bio info without having the I-693 first page signed by a civil surgeon?
To put my signature and date on it, it says it has to be in front of the civil surgeon who fills the form.
Or would it work if I don't sign it at all?

Thanks for all your help, Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration