Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:44 AM

184 posts, read 142,188 times

Advertisements

Mexico is a failed state just like most of South and Central America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 05:47 PM

30 posts, read 88,546 times
^Lol, you're ignorant comment amazes me. All I will reply to that is to say that Mexico is the 8th largest economy in the world, and just a few years ago, the Peso was crushing the dollar in terms of stability and profitability. There was even a joke about it on SNL SNL Transcripts: Topher Grace: 01/15/05: The Not So Incredible Adventures of the Down and Out Dollar But I don't expect you to understand that.

Anyway. Back on topic. I come from a middle-upper class family in Mexico and moved to the US 3 years ago. I studied engineering in what is arguably the best private school in Latin America. I speak perfect English and did not have economic problems. I came here for the exposure to a different culture. I also came here to feed my curriculum with a job at a very successful and international company.

I had a good job in Mexico and have a good Job now. I must say my buying power has decreased a little bit when coming to the US but that is mostly because the immigration laws are so F-d up here that my wife is not allowed to get a job (even though she's an engineer and went to the same school I did), it's like a psychological prison. I pay the same taxes as every single citizen, yet I am not entitled to the same rights. While I have started my Green Card process, with the current law it will take me upwards of 12 years to get it and let my wife work legally.

Needless to say I am considering going back to my country. It seems that the current law favors the illegal immigrants more than it does the legal. Almost as if saying: "I don't really want intelligence, I want cheap manual labor." No matter how hard I try or how educated I get, I will always be treated like a second class citizen here.

Sigh....

Old 12-08-2010, 11:48 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtrevino View Post
^Lol, you're ignorant comment amazes me. All I will reply to that is to say that Mexico is the 8th largest economy in the world, and just a few years ago, the Peso was crushing the dollar in terms of stability and profitability. There was even a joke about it on SNL SNL Transcripts: Topher Grace: 01/15/05: The Not So Incredible Adventures of the Down and Out Dollar But I don't expect you to understand that.

Anyway. Back on topic. I come from a middle-upper class family in Mexico and moved to the US 3 years ago. I studied engineering in what is arguably the best private school in Latin America. I speak perfect English and did not have economic problems. I came here for the exposure to a different culture. I also came here to feed my curriculum with a job at a very successful and international company.

I had a good job in Mexico and have a good Job now. I must say my buying power has decreased a little bit when coming to the US but that is mostly because the immigration laws are so F-d up here that my wife is not allowed to get a job (even though she's an engineer and went to the same school I did), it's like a psychological prison. I pay the same taxes as every single citizen, yet I am not entitled to the same rights. While I have started my Green Card process, with the current law it will take me upwards of 12 years to get it and let my wife work legally.

Needless to say I am considering going back to my country. It seems that the current law favors the illegal immigrants more than it does the legal. Almost as if saying: "I don't really want intelligence, I want cheap manual labor." No matter how hard I try or how educated I get, I will always be treated like a second class citizen here.

Sigh....
I came to the US in pretty much the same situation. I'd recommend your wife to look for a job that will sponsor a TN visa. She'll only need the offer letter to apply in a US consulate in Mexico.

It was tough while my wife didn't have a job, but she found one, got a TN visa and has been working for a year now. It for sure changes things.

Your wife is an engineer, and most engineerings are covered under NAFTA for a TN visa.

The process to become a permanent resident is painfully long. I'm going with it while considering my options (Canada, Australia). Perhaps the easiest is to get a graduate degree and get a job that requires that degree, that way your GC case can be filled under EB-2, which doesn't carry a backlog so far.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 PM

410 posts, read 634,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwind View Post
Mexico is a failed state just like most of South and Central America.
South America has had buoyant recoveries in the recession, and trumped US performance during the recession...

Old 01-01-2011, 06:03 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Yes, there are. A program called "Mexicanos en el Extranjero" aired by public broadcaster Once TV in Mexico City has traveled to New York City and Chicago to interview Mexicans living (legally) abroad.

E.g.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq-Pc...eature=channel

Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 PM

9 posts, read 18,623 times
Many professionasl immigrate to the US or to other countries becuase if their own country doesnt give them the opportunity to grow they should look somewhere else, I've seen it and I'm living it.

My mother moved to the US when she was 18 to go to school mostly, legally. My grandparents who both of them were doctors paid for her schooling so in my book if they were able to pay my mom a private university, and her expences means that they were very well of at that time and they where. She met my dad while she was studying and I was born in the US. Adter a very messy divorced my mom decided to move with my grandparents.

The quality of life she had in the US was not the same as the one she had in Mexico of course, she was paid twice of what she was getting paid in Mexico not to mention that according to her they were better opportunities for me aswell.

My husband, who was a greencard holder took many stupid choices while living in the US, which caused him to be deported for life. What he did? I don't need to disclose that, but I'm just putting an example, that he being a legal alien in the US did many bad things and that most mexican illegal aliens live peaceful lives in the US without hurting a fly.

My mom wanted me to go to Medical school in the US, she offered to pay for it. But hell no, it's expensive not to mention that I need to do 4 years of college to and besides I had just given birth and my husband would not have been able to go with me so that was a big NO.

My mom's brother worked for Terex in the US, and his son(American born) is an architect, and I can list lots of example of upper middle class, or middle class mexicans that immigrated to the US legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration