Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 01:50 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,098,227 times

Advertisements

I've recently 'finished' the immigrant visa process but am yet to enter USA and collect my Greencard. I will do so within months. I am married to (and live with) a USC.

For the job I currently hold outside of USA (where I currently reside), I am welcome to divide my time between 'here' and USA once I migrate.

I'm wondering to what extent this is feasible in terms of maintaining the Greencard/residency requirement in USA?

I'd hate to have gone through the whole process (which I dragged out to 3 years) only to lose the Greencard and/or have to re-do the process again later on if/when I cease to work for my current employer - and would hate to pass up the opportunity to reside in USA - a country that I'm fascinated with - but maintaining this current job outside of USA will allow me more money than I anticipate earning in USA - at least for the time being.

Best case scenario, I think I could/would spend 8 months in USA (in 1 chunk) and 4 months outside of USA (in 1 chunk) each year.

I would own/maintain a house in USA and (sadly) probably sleep on couches or friend/family spare rooms when outside of USA.

I've read that absence of '6 months or more' is a bit iffy - but ultimately, it's more to do with if you have ties with the country or not... thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:02 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
A 4 month absence shouldn't raise any flags. Here's the official position:

International Travel as a Permanent Resident | USCIS

Old 08-15-2014, 07:59 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,337 times
i have a coworker on GC with her kids on GC too. her daughter is still back in her home country studying in college. what my coworker has done is pay USCIS a fee to let her daughter be out of US for longer than 6 months to a year and not lose her GC. can't remember the name of that USCIS provision at this time.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:16 AM

24,553 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i have a coworker on GC with her kids on GC too. her daughter is still back in her home country studying in college. what my coworker has done is pay USCIS a fee to let her daughter be out of US for longer than 6 months to a year and not lose her GC. can't remember the name of that USCIS provision at this time.
RE-entry permit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration