Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,238 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I'm a German citizen and inherited an apartment building which is now still part (share) of a trust but will be distributed to me as a beneficiary.

I'm wondering about the appropriate visa for my trips to the US when I want to take care of my property.

ESTA should be fine as long as I don't do "physical work". But I'm not sure about negotiating contracts and consulting with business associates. To me it sounds as if this only does apply to a german company negotiating in the US - but I will act on behalf of my US-property (and sure will have income in the US).
Btw: ESTA is only for 90 days

How about B1?
I don't have any knowledge about the B1-Visa, but the requirements for the B2-Visa seem to be very strict and the applications are disapproved very often. I'm pretty afraid of beeing denied because then I couldn't apply for ESTA anymore.

Any E-Visa possible?
I don't "invest", do not create jobs (everything is already existing).
I'm thinking about investing in "green technologies" i.e. solar panels and/or biological water preparation (which seems to be very interesting for the "green City of Santa Monica")
And again: if I would be refused I couldn't apply for ESTA anymore

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your advice!!

Erbin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 05:26 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,657,286 times
B1 and B2 visas are usually given in tandem and should suit your purposes. Go to the first "sticky" on this forum and click onto the USCIS website where you'll find all the information you need.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:38 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,713,789 times
You should look at the economics of being an absentee building owner, first. You have two choices: hiring a property management company or a selling agent.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:21 PM

Thanks for your advice.

@ STT Resident: B-Visa are very hazardous because if I can't prove "enough" binding ties to my home country the application will be rejected (happens quite often). And then there will be no more chance to travel with ESTA

@ Frihed89: I would never ever sell the building. The deceased wanted to give me a "safe place", he lived there and I will not turn his legacy into "poor money". Thankfully I could ask my cousin or her kids to take care of the property or create a new trust in the worst case.

But what's wrong about my wish to take care of the property from time to time by myself and stay in the US when I invested a special amount of money and work?
I mean I could enter the US by ESTA and never leave (what I would never do because I have a life here in my home country and it's illegal besides).
I just want to take care of my property whenever it's needed and the ESTA rules (or the immigration officers, who make the last decision) are not flexible enough. And why should I invest in the property as an ESTA-"guest"?

I'm afraid I have to go for an E-Visa. Maybe the city of Santa Monica could help me somehow. Still thinking about the "green purposes" of Santa Monica. Here in my home country we have a lot of experience with e.g. solar panels or biolocical water preparation and I could try transfer this.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:09 PM

20,735 posts, read 19,939,805 times
I don't have an answer to your questions but if you wanna hang out with a fellow German, contact me.

I live about 1 hour away.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,657,286 times
I'm a little confused about your fear that your visa application may be denied. As long as you have documentation proving your ties to your home country there's little to be concerned about as evidenced by thousands upon thousands of visitors who come to the US every year. What research have you done which has led you to be concerned?

http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/...2014_print.pdf

Old 10-24-2014, 12:49 PM

I'm member of the german Amerika-Forum and there are a lot of people complaining that they didn't get a B-Visa, despite proven binding ties and enough money for the trip.
Reasons for the refusal: as a german citizen you can travel with ESTA - 90 days are enough.
The Visa Waiver Program seems to be boon and bane.
Citizens from countries not qualified for the VWP seem to get their B-Visas without difficulty

Old 10-25-2014, 12:07 PM

24,428 posts, read 10,770,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbin View Post
I'm member of the german Amerika-Forum and there are a lot of people complaining that they didn't get a B-Visa, despite proven binding ties and enough money for the trip.
Reasons for the refusal: as a german citizen you can travel with ESTA - 90 days are enough.
The Visa Waiver Program seems to be boon and bane.
Citizens from countries not qualified for the VWP seem to get their B-Visas without difficulty
Those vultures:>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration