Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 01:49 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
What is the time, effort and cost? To my understanding, it's much easier to get citizenship than green card status.

Yes, it's MUCH easier to get citizenship than to get a green card but there could be various reasons people don't go for citizenship. For instance, if a person comes here when they are retired, is it worth it to pay the $500 or whatever it is to become a citizen? They may want to become a citizen but they won't gain much by doing so. They want to live here, not in another country so they don't care about travel restrictions. About the only thing they lose out on is the right to vote.

Then also, there are probably green card holders who are too poor to come up with the money to go for citizenship. They needed to have money and a sponsor to get in but maybe they fell upon hard times, job loss. I think there is a hardship fee waiver though where USCIS would chip in and help with the payment. Not sure about that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 05:09 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Then also, there are probably green card holders who are too poor to come up with the money to go for citizenship. They needed to have money and a sponsor to get in but maybe they fell upon hard times, job loss. I think there is a hardship fee waiver though where USCIS would chip in and help with the payment. Not sure about that though.
From what I understand, the hardship waiver is only for those who already collect sometype of government benefit (for example, somebody who's on disability). Just being poor is not a reason to grant you the waiver.

On the same topic, another reason to become a citizen is that only citizens are eligible for certain government benefits. I think that elderly people can't get medicare unless they are citizens. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:38 PM

92 posts, read 111,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
From what I understand, the hardship waiver is only for those who already collect sometype of government benefit (for example, somebody who's on disability). Just being poor is not a reason to grant you the waiver.

On the same topic, another reason to become a citizen is that only citizens are eligible for certain government benefits. I think that elderly people can't get medicare unless they are citizens. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Social security used to send your eligibilty letter yearly,now it's online you need to register to see if your entitled to medicare/disability/social security,you must have paid in ten years(40 quarters)..now that is the requirement....not just being a citizen...

Old 11-12-2014, 05:53 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
I think that elderly people can't get medicare unless they are citizens. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
OK, you're wrong. You've now been corrected.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:00 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,892 times
Well you can lose the Green card. If you get American passport you can't be deported

Old 11-13-2014, 08:17 AM

234 posts, read 327,885 times
Thanks, guys, for the replies.

I've read you can get deported even if you get in an accident that is your fault and someone dies or get serious injuries? Or for drug abuse, or unauthorized employment, so pretty much anything.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
Thanks, guys, for the replies.

I've read you can get deported even if you get in an accident that is your fault and someone dies or get serious injuries? Or for drug abuse, or unauthorized employment, so pretty much anything.
A lot of hype is bandied around but the bottom line is that you have to have messed up REALLY badly to face deportation ...

Old 11-13-2014, 10:31 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Well you can lose the Green card. If you get American passport you can't be deported

Its easy to apply for a replacement greencard.
The only hassle is that it takes longer to get through immigration when returning to the country if you've lost your greencard and have a replacement. They subject it to more scrutiny.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:32 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
A lot of hype is bandied around but the bottom line is that you have to have messed up REALLY badly to face deportation ...

Seriously, its rare. Normal humans will not ever come into that zone!

Old 11-13-2014, 10:34 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
So, a green card holder has the same rights as a citizen. He pays taxes the same way, finds a job, travels, owns a car/house etc just like a citizen. Why do green card holders bother to apply for citizenship then?
Green card holder? How bout "border jumpers" (the new PC words for Illegal Aliens)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration