Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 01:35 AM

3 posts, read 6,985 times

Advertisements

hi 5-6years ago i was in USA for almost 2years on F1 visa.During that period i had a credit card from bank of america for 7000$.I used to pay my monthly payments regularly.Later due to some personal problems and financial difficulties i moved to another country for better options.But for almost one year I remained jobless and my financial situation worsened further.Even during that hard time also i managed to pay my monthly credit card payments regularly for first few months.But later I stopped paying as I had left with nothing.After I got a small job, started my savings. 2years ago I contacted bank of america authorities to repay my credit card debt.They told my debt was with collection agency and gave me a number to contact.When I contacted them on the number given they took all my details and said that they will contact me back.But I didn't get any call so far.Now I am planning to visit my friends in USA.I have to apply for an visiting or tourist visa.My question is does my bad credit history or credit debt will affect my visa chances? does the immigration or visa officers will know about my debt? what are the chances of me getting arrested at embassy or at port of entry if a lawsuit was filed and judgment was passed to arrest me for credit card debt in USA? I am ready to repay my debt even now....but don't to how to approach...and also fearing about the interest for this 5years on principle amount...guys please help me. thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 04:59 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
I don't think you will or can be arrested for bad debt unless it is child support or a tax lien.

You may want to talk to a lawyer but you can get an ESTA and not apply for a visa since you only want to visit, of course depending on which country you are from and if your country requires a visa or not.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:01 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
ESTA only applies to passport holders of certain countries. If Op's user name is an indication he will need B2. If the collection agency went the legal route and a warrant was issued .....

Old 04-21-2015, 07:44 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Civil debt with a collection agency wouldn't affect your tourist visa.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:53 PM

thank you so much for all the replies.
presently i am living in Maldives and i must need a B-2 visa to visit USA.
even though credit debt comes under civil issue..my point is..what if a judgement passed and an arrest
warrant was issued on me in USA? Am I going to get any problems at port of entry?

Old 04-23-2015, 03:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rai83 View Post
thank you so much for all the replies.
presently i am living in Maldives and i must need a B-2 visa to visit USA.
even though credit debt comes under civil issue..my point is..what if a judgement passed and an arrest
warrant was issued on me in USA? Am I going to get any problems at port of entry?
The point being made is that the likelihood of a credit card debt ending up in court and an arrest warrant being issued is virtually nil. Debt is NOT a crime under US law. This explains it in simple terms:

Can people go to jail for not paying their credit card payments?

Old 04-24-2015, 06:15 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The point being made is that the likelihood of a credit card debt ending up in court and an arrest warrant being issued is virtually nil. Debt is NOT a crime under US law. This explains it in simple terms:

You have not been in the continental US for a while.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:00 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You have not been in the continental US for a while.
Please explain. And how can you assume I've not, "been in the continental US for a while"?

Old 05-12-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

thanks for the reply
i appreciate you for your quick replies..thanks bro.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,955 times
I left the US on a green card and left behind about $600 in credit card debt (plus some small IRS problems). I've been back 4 or 5 times and no problem. Mind you I'm from a non visa required country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration