Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should America increase the number of refugees allowed in?
Yes, we owe it to mankind 18 14.52%
No, no more refugees except in rare cases 106 85.48%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 10:06 AM

55 posts, read 68,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Short memory? The US discretely encouraged the Arab Spring in 2010, but then did not support the protesters afterward. What started with protests to overthrow the dictatorships was well intended, but those countries, Tunisia, Egypt, Syria, etc., did not know what to do afterwards. The US, or President Obama's policy dictated that we should not do anything. This power void allowed ISIL/ISIS to come in and take control. What you are seeing now are the effects of all that.

Yes, that was a very short summary, but in a nutshell, that is what happened. For those US Haters, this is what happens when the US is not involved in world affairs. It is easy to say, and some think it noble, that the US will stand down and get out of the way of the affairs of foreign governments, but this is what you get.

Yes, President Obama's decisions and actions to leave a personal legacy behind caused this. He will have a legacy for sure.

That's literally not true at all. We provided a decent amount of support and resources to moderate groups in the region.

It's not our job to police the world. We should instead be pressuring countries like Saudi Arabia to take up their fair share of responsibilities so we don't have to. We give tens of billions of dollars to countries like Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and Israel every single year and get nothing in return. It's time we cashed in on our investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 06:25 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Student Learning View Post
There is war and despair all over the world, at a level not seen since WW2. Syria, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, and countless other countries in Africa and the Middle East that most people have never heard of.

.... There are countless people on earth who are facing incredible challenges. What should we do? Please take my poll.
What level since WW2? 85 Million people died during WW2. I doubt the European countries who lost massive populations replaced that population by now. So they have plenty of open land to absorb a few 100k refugees. If "we" is the US, then the answer is nothing more than our current immigration policy allows.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:31 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collective View Post
Not the case for H1Bs.

For permanent residence, they got the company to sponsor, the company recruited, didn't find a suitable American or Permanent Resident, therefore the Green Card was granted.

South Asians mostly do technology and academic work.
Actually they are L-1's.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:33 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Eventually Europe will reject them when the number of refugees reach a breaking point and it will be America's turn to accept- or reject- the millions of people who are facing death and persecution in their homelands.
It's funny I've never heard of any European nation volunteering to accept any of the Central American refugees that illegally cross into United States every day, why should we volunteer to accept Syrian refugees? Whether they are fleeing war or economic hardship, I really don't see a difference. This is Europe's problem, let them deal with it. We have our own refugee crisis to deal with at the Mexican border.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:45 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
But these are human beings, don't we as the richest country on earth have a responsibility to house and protect them?
Can I assume that you have this same point of view about the millions of illegal aliens from the across the borders???

Old 09-06-2015, 02:36 PM

83 posts, read 67,196 times
Question World in chaos

Why cannot the people themselves argue the rights issue with their government or the United Nations? All countries should have their own rights for the whole nation. There always has been and will be people who want control, over the people regardless, like the Germans and Nazis in WW2. Thirty million Jews were killed before the United States got involed, a little late. It is said that people have been on this planet billions of years. One would think after billions of years why have they not found peace yet? Paul

Old 09-06-2015, 08:23 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I'm sure the Catholic Relief Organization,will have thousands of these refugees here in the states. I've already seen a commercial on TV talking about just this. I remember when the Vietnam War ended, that organization helped bring thousands from Vietnam to this country. They haven't stopped since.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:35 AM

233 posts, read 250,683 times
Quote:
But these are human beings, don't we as the richest country on earth have a responsibility to house and protect them?
No.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:09 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul James View Post
If these people are not going to fight for there freedom and rights in there own country we should not take them in, we have to many moochers now in America. Paul
Thank you. This was my first thought all along. When America was invaded by British troops we dug in and with the help of France sent the Brits packing. However these guys are just running from the enemy....and theyre going to bring all of their troubles with them. They arent coming to the Western Nations to join us in our core principles, theyre running away.

This crisis may yet be the straw that breaks the global economy's back.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:24 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
When are we going to start worrying about our own homeless citizens? We don't take care of US citizens and sadly our own Military people in need of good medical care and housing are left in the streets and with garbage medical compared to those on Welfare.

A wall should have been built years ago until we can learn to take care of our own. There's already 11 million illegal immigrants here. "Give me your tired, your poor" I think Americans are tired and poorer by the minute!
Its a funny thing about that quote, its a beautiful sonnet:

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

But there is a huge contrast between those that came to America to be an American and to fight for liberty and to provide a newer and better life for their families....and those who come here and huddle together and make mini-Syrias, and mini-Sudans, and mini-whatevers within our Nation. My ancestors came to the U.S. and became AMERICANS. They took off their cloaks of their former Nations and they picked up the American flag. If we let these people into our Country they will not adapt to our beliefs and ways, just as the Sudanese that came here STAYED Sudanese.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration