Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 6,443 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Me and my husband we both are on h1b, My husband has his I-140 approved. I am working on h1b since Oct 2015. With this situation should i start my GC process with my employer or should I wait for priority date to become current and get EAD? What is suggested, i have few questions to decide on that, however any other points to be noted in process are most welcome.
1. When i have to move from h1b to I-485 EAD, will it be just a transfer from h1b to EAD without affecting my job at that time? Will I have to switch from h1b to h4 and then EAD causing gap in my work?
2. What is better, to file my own gc or to be on EAD?
3. Are there any risks in traveling across the countries when my labor is in progress?

Please guide me and suggest what is best? should i start my GC process or wait for my husband's priority date to become current.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 08:08 AM

983 posts, read 1,633,759 times
I think it all depends. Were you born in the same country? If your country of birth is different and is not as backlogged as his, it would be better to apply for your own.

1. I think you need to be H4 to be able to apply for EAD. This is because your husband is still H1B, so you would be using the new rule for dependents.

2. I would only bother with your own GC if your country of birth is different and offers a path to getting the GC faster, or if his case is risky for some reason.

3. No risk in traveling while labor is in process. H1B is dual intent so no one will bat an eye even if they know you have labor cert pending (and they normally have no idea).

Old 08-09-2016, 08:40 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Personally I would go through my own GC process. One never knows if a snag surfaces.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:40 PM

7 posts, read 6,443 times
Thanks for the replies. So lets say if i apply my own GC and while my GC in progress my husband's I-485 gets approved. Will i be able to get EAD based on his I-485, or i will have to follow my own GC process only since its already in progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration