Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 06:32 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,937,550 times

Advertisements

If you hold American citizenship in such low regard that you would renounce it, you have no business coming back here. Leave, and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 06:41 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,335,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSAWWM View Post
All I want is to hold public office and not be penalized for doing so...

Perhaps the issue is more that for certain career tracs being a dual citizen is needlessly burdening?
You cannot have the cake and eat it too.
You have to decide, either keep the dual citizenship or keep the job.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:50 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,335,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
"Dual Citizenship" signifies nothing to the DOS, and certainly doesn't confer you special status. You're either a U.S. citizen, or you're not. And it looks like you'll soon be in the "not" column.
Dual citizenship is actually frowned upon, because it signifies allegiance to 2 countries.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:17 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,324,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Dual citizenship is actually frowned upon, because it signifies allegiance to 2 countries.
By whom and based on what? Cases? Laws?

I will postulate that the Feds publish some words frowning on it...but these do not appear to have any basis in law or cases.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:04 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,351,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
1. Back when I did apply, I did not hate the US at all, in fact just the opposite, I was ready to jump through any number of hoops just to go on a tour of the US. As I mentioned earlier, I even went all the way to Moscow to get it. But I will not be coming back any time soon.

2. Lots of people from my country routinely go on vacation to Muslim states like the Arab Emirates, Turkey and Egypt. None of them seem to have any problem with visas. And since when do you take Muslim countries as your example? I thought the USA was the land of the free?

3. I go in and out of the EU routinely, and that includes the wealthy Scandinavian countries Sweden and Denmark. Never had any problem with a visa either.
so, then, you have no issues entering those countries. stick your butt in those places then. if you can't enter the US legally, then don't bother whining about when you can even tour the rest of the world that so many in third world countries can only dream of.

and so what if i take muslim countries for example? they are among the countries that are mostly hostile to westerners/foreigners. especially the US and their perceived allies.

and so what of the USA being the land of the free? does that entitle foreigners/non US citizens to just get in/out of the US at will?

Old 09-23-2016, 08:23 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,968,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
By whom and based on what? Cases? Laws?

I will postulate that the Feds publish some words frowning on it...but these do not appear to have any basis in law or cases.
As far as I know, there are no major legal issues with dual citizenship as far as the US is concerned. But when it comes to running for high political offices, I could certainly see it being a campaign-killer if the candidate's foreign citizenship involved a country the US hasn't always gotten along with. It's one thing for a candidate to hold dual US/Canadian citizenship like Ted Cruz. I can't imagine someone holding dual US/Russian, US/Chinese, or US/Iranian citizenship being electable, though. That person would face the same choice the OP is complaining about facing. And for very understandable reasons!

The OP is right: for some career tracks, (especially in politics, national security, and the military) dual citizenship is a liability. He has to decide which matters most to him: freely visiting his family in the States, or holding a government office in Kenya. No matter how much he complains, he can't have both.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:43 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,723,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
It is what it is . . . . maybe they'll change the laws and regulations one day, but what's fair from your perspective doesn't mean a hill of beans.

But you should consult a real immigration lawyer, not some know it all's on a C-D forum.

Mick

Why doesn't your mother just go with you??

Old 09-23-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
As far as I know, there are no major legal issues with dual citizenship as far as the US is concerned. But when it comes to running for high political offices, I could certainly see it being a campaign-killer if the candidate's foreign citizenship involved a country the US hasn't always gotten along with. It's one thing for a candidate to hold dual US/Canadian citizenship like Ted Cruz. I can't imagine someone holding dual US/Russian, US/Chinese, or US/Iranian citizenship being electable, though. That person would face the same choice the OP is complaining about facing. And for very understandable reasons!

The OP is right: for some career tracks, (especially in politics, national security, and the military) dual citizenship is a liability. He has to decide which matters most to him: freely visiting his family in the States, or holding a government office in Kenya. No matter how much he complains, he can't have both.
EXACTLY THE POINT! i hope the OP has enough education in him to understand and ACCEPT it.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I did...

Going to school was the better option..

I have no regrets.
since you've said 30k is nothing to think of, then get off the forums, pay that debt off ASAP, and stay the heck out of the US until you have your tourist visa. stop wasting your time here whining about something that should be common sense.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I have enough education in me to want to understand the full weight of a decision before I make one. Hence, this thread...

Though I think the best advice I've been given so far is that I need to speak to a lawyer.
speak to a lawyer to sue the US for its immigration policies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration