Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 03:17 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,142,177 times

Advertisements

Getting a tourist visa to US is tough, but getting a tourist visa to Russia is even tougher. Other than those overnight cruise passengers, you have to find a host in Russia to sponsor your visit to Russia. Maybe fellow poster Norne can help us out by being our host if we want to visit Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 03:31 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,966,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Getting a tourist visa to US is tough, but getting a tourist visa to Russia is even tougher. Other than those overnight cruise passengers, you have to find a host in Russia to sponsor your visit to Russia.
And Russia has the RIGHT to impose that requirement on non-Russians who wish to visit Russia. Their country, their rules. I'd like to visit Russia some day, but I'm under no delusion that I have some sort of "natural human right" to flit across the earth free as a bird. Humans have always been tribal and claimed exclusive tribal use of territories (heck, even chimpanzee troops are territorial; no doubt our non-human ancestors controlled territories in some fashion or another). Russia belongs to the Russian people; if I wish to visit it, I have to follow their government's rules, and if the Russian government decides to deny me entry, I have to accept their decision even if it makes me unhappy. That's how the world works, no matter how much the OP wishes it was otherwise. Maybe some day it will be different (but I doubt it), but the OP has to live in the here and now, and base his decision on how things are now rather than on how he wishes they were.

And maybe the OP should consider that the African country he also holds citizenship with may have a legitimate reason to want to ensure that government officials don't hold dual citizenship (with the possibility of dual loyalties that such a situation brings). After all, most African countries have a long history of colonial exploitation in their past, which no doubt colors their view of who should be allowed to hold public office. And I certainly can't blame them for that!

Old 09-23-2016, 04:03 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,375,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSAWWM View Post
The reason I want to drop American citizenship is because to hold high public office here you need to not be a dual citizen.
But, I mean, I shouldn't be barred from seeing my American family just because I want to hold public office. This is 2016, the world is a global village.
So holding a high public office is more important to you than your American Family? There are millions of jobs in the world, why don't you pick one where you won't have to give up dual citizenship?

Do what you want--but my first priority is always to my family, my job comes second.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:37 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,785,231 times
Quote:
What if, God forbid, my mother couldn't visit..let's say she had passed on. Would I be denied a visit to my own mother's grave because of stupid laws?

You are going to deny me the human right to, hypothetically, mourn the loss of my own mother..because, laws?

Natural law always trumps man made law.

"Life is unfair" is a cop out. No one should ever settle for something so obviously flawed.
Why did your mother move here? If it's fine back home, just take her with you.

Our country is more accepting of people from all nationalities than almost anywhere in the world. You are whining because you want your cake, and want to eat it too. (that is an American saying for "you can't have everything). Make a choice. And if you're qualified for public office, you should be capable of making a decision.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:42 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,335,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Requirements for citizens of the country whose citizenship you choose will apply.
Huh?

Old 09-23-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
It was for my bachelor's degree. I will pay it off in full soon, I just resent not being allowed to drop my citizenship until I do. I don't understand what debt has to do with citizenship. I'd pay it off regardless of my citizenship...but, whatever, it's only 30k, not really enough to care too much about.

Sorry for getting an education...my bad..
Apparently, you "got an education" but aren't truly *educated*.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Agree - it is "your bad" and also "the bad" of the university that admitted you over an American citizen.

Getting into US colleges is challenging. It is frustrating that increasingly, spots are given to people like you that are selfish and just want to milk the US system for personal benefit.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
It was for my bachelor's degree. I will pay it off in full soon, I just resent not being allowed to drop my citizenship until I do. I don't understand what debt has to do with citizenship. I'd pay it off regardless of my citizenship...but, whatever, it's only 30k, not really enough to care too much about.

Right. 30K "isn't that much". Well, it is to a lot of American students that could use it for a college scholarship.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:57 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,335,477 times
Quote:
Guilty..the actual intent of the thread is to discuss this particular gaping hole of the law systems of earth.

As such, where should I move if earth itself doesn't guarantee the right to universally allow a man a visit to his mother's house?
Because there are laws, and it is not correct what you say

"Nature's law trumps man made law."

Not anymore. If everybody would get a "free pass" to visit one's mother, this could and would be immensely "misused." Do you get my gist?

Last edited by rent.in.nyc; 09-23-2016 at 05:13 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and it's called "debt slavery"...being beholden to a rule from which you wish to be relinquished but are unable to because of debt. I'm basically an American slave.

Shoulda thought of that when you accepted the loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration