Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 09:08 PM

42,783 posts, read 26,085,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It doesn't happen overnight. It takes a generation.
That's very true, my grandson goes to pre-school with 24 kids. Probably 7 or 8 are Hispanic, another 5 or 6 are Russian and there are two Syrians. The kids all speak perfect English but the parents for the most part speak very little English and many can't read any English. I truly believe these parents are doing their best and it's obvious that their kids are going to grow up speaking perfect English and over time they will probably help their parents learn.

My Grandparents were French, they never spoke anything but French. They were citizens and they had to learn enough English to pass the test, but after that they just went about their lives speaking French. My father and my aunt spoke French in the home and English everywhere else.

The Harbor Freight store here has aisle signs that are English on one side and Spanish on the other. There are no regulations requiring them to do that, they do it because they have a large number of Spanish speakers who shop there and they know it is in their interest to make it easy for those customers to find what they want.

My Grandson's doctor is Russian, the first time my son took him there he had to guess as to whether he was at the right place because the sign on the door was entirely written in Russian.

Life goes on, I just don't see this as a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
Let's look at Bridgeport, WA:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bridge...ashington.html

76% Hispanic. The stores all have Spanish signs. I believe one business was in English plus the Senior Center. While we drove through town, we saw no whites, one black and the remainder were Hispanic. But, get this, the signs on the kiosks at the Chief Joseph Dam overlook had Spanish above the English. I felt like I was passing through Mexico, not the United States. And, yes, I have spent some time in that country in areas where you rarely see tourists. And, if you prefer this culture, you will begin to see small wastebaskets with excrement smeared toilet paper. If there is no wastebasket, then you will see signs in English and Spanish reminding you that the soiled tissue belongs in the toilet, not on the floor. This is the first time I have seen this outside of Mexico (the wastebaskets, not the signs). This is the America you multiculturalists wanted.
huh? I am not sure what you are talking about. I have lived around Hispanic people in California my entire life and I have never seen or heard anything like what you are claiming (toilet paper with excrement in waste cans) I have also been to Mexico several times and never saw that there.

And please spare me with the 'multcultualist' remark, we have a large immigrant population because we have employers who will hire them.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:00 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,464,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
huh? I am not sure what you are talking about. I have lived around Hispanic people in California my entire life and I have never seen or heard anything like what you are claiming (toilet paper with excrement in waste cans) I have also been to Mexico several times and never saw that there.

And please spare me with the 'multcultualist' remark, we have a large immigrant population because we have employers who will hire them.
As I said, I spent some time in Mexico in non-tourist areas. May e you frequented the tourist areas. Yes, it is a plumbing problem. But, it is also a cultural issue. I have been traveling over to Eastern Washington for years, shopping for groceries and buying fuel and this last trip was the first time I have seen the wastebaskets and the signs. So, I am puzzled. And, it was disgusting.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:36 AM

6 posts, read 4,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I'm not racist in the least. I don't care what language a person speaks and enjoy hearing them speak their native tongue. What I don't like, is seeing the USA bend over backwards to accommodate them at our expense and inconvenience.

Hmmm, I don't remember in the 60's ever having to push/dial 1 for Polish. That tells me THEY found a way to fit in, good for them.

I hope you were being satirical when you said you didn't have to push buttons to dial Polish. Phones did not work that way then.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
As I said, I spent some time in Mexico in non-tourist areas. May e you frequented the tourist areas. Yes, it is a plumbing problem. But, it is also a cultural issue. I have been traveling over to Eastern Washington for years, shopping for groceries and buying fuel and this last trip was the first time I have seen the wastebaskets and the signs. So, I am puzzled. And, it was disgusting.
maybe it's a Washington State thing...I spent 14 years living in Reno and they have a large Hispanic population and I never saw or heard of anything like that, and I've never seen it in California. And we did go to non-tourist areas of Mexico and never saw it there. Is it a possibility that the people you are talking about might be from somewhere other than Mexico, perhaps Guatemala or El Salvador?

Old 11-18-2016, 10:42 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,265,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
when gringos invaded tejas and alta california, any of them respected our terms of speak spanish and be catholic.

karma babies,
No, but when the Mexicans invaded Tejas they did not respect the local terms of speak Caddoan and Comanche either.

Old 11-19-2016, 02:16 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,138,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That's very true, my grandson goes to pre-school with 24 kids. Probably 7 or 8 are Hispanic, another 5 or 6 are Russian and there are two Syrians. The kids all speak perfect English but the parents for the most part speak very little English and many can't read any English. I truly believe these parents are doing their best and it's obvious that their kids are going to grow up speaking perfect English and over time they will probably help their parents learn....
I grew up in a town of 5,000 in the Forties and Fifties. I was a very similar situation. A fair-size minority of the kids had immigrant parents who spoke their own language at home. But at school the kids spoke English. No problem. Now most of them can't get to square one in their parents' home language.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:18 AM

34,744 posts, read 16,767,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobymamma View Post
I hope you were being satirical when you said you didn't have to push buttons to dial Polish. Phones did not work that way then.
I got my first "pushbutton" (as they were called then) phone during the summer of 1966.

Old 11-19-2016, 03:19 AM

34,744 posts, read 16,767,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I grew up in a town of 5,000 in the Forties and Fifties. I was a very similar situation. A fair-size minority of the kids had immigrant parents who spoke their own language at home. But at school the kids spoke English. No problem. Now most of them can't get to square one in their parents' home language.
As perhaps it should be, with the parents' language being at most a second language.

Old 11-19-2016, 07:01 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,321,096 times
But Spanish was the first European language in those Mexican provinces. Nobody avoids Anglos from retirning to the 13 colonies, back to Appalachian trails. If you are going to live in Mexico and complain all the time, leave. I visit a lot ancient Spanish protectorate in Morocco and they speak Spanish, but I could not care less in they speak French, Amazigh, Darija or whatever language, as they all speal 4 to 7 languages.
Never forget that even that you conquered that land using force, you are HOST no matter if you remain there 1000 years.

Yes, there were few people when you conquered those lands, but there were even fewer people when French conquered Algeria or Italian Lybia.

Last edited by karstic; 11-19-2016 at 07:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration