Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2016, 04:16 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times

Advertisements

Themexico tp thing is true having lived here for over 23 yrs.Even mexico city has the habit even with plenty of water as i observed in a CLASS family home. Go across the border into SD and use a facility the issue is there. Going further north it does get better tho. As for plumbing they will use a 2 in pipe instead of a 3 or. 4 inch at times. Built my own home here using US thinking. Not to degress the issue but the world is still learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 09:48 AM

578 posts, read 458,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
Why do you want immigrants to learn English?

1. They'll be more competitive - bad for you.
2. They will use their language while putting you down.
This is AMERICA you want US to learn your language?

This is not mexico!

Old 11-20-2016, 10:19 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
This is AMERICA you want US to learn your language?
This is not mexico!
Politicians occasionally raise the issue of English being the 'official language' in the US when they want to draw your attention away from other issues, like the 80 foot wall that won't be built and the lunacy of thinking we could bring back every job that existed 30 years ago. And it's really amusing to see how many people bite.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:47 PM

578 posts, read 458,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Politicians occasionally raise the issue of English being the 'official language' in the US when they want to draw your attention away from other issues, like the 80 foot wall that won't be built and the lunacy of thinking we could bring back every job that existed 30 years ago. And it's really amusing to see how many people bite.
Agree its a way to get people to vote and trump mastered it.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:29 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,875 times
LOL, the OP can't even write proper English.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:56 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,463 times
My mother's family immigrated here post-WWII. Not one of them spoke a word of English, but they learned it. My uncle, for example, was 19 when he arrived here, worked 60-hour weeks as a janitor and took English classes at night, nearly every night of the week. Even though, for the first few years, he spoke his native language at home, he became fluent in English. This is the way it used to work for immigrants to this nation; now, immigrants come here and expect the country to cater to their laziness in not learning the language. Enough is enough. You want to live in America? Then learn English and stop whining about how "hard" it is.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:56 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
My mother's family immigrated here post-WWII. Not one of them spoke a word of English, but they learned it. My uncle, for example, was 19 when he arrived here, worked 60-hour weeks as a janitor and took English classes at night, nearly every night of the week. Even though, for the first few years, he spoke his native language at home, he became fluent in English. This is the way it used to work for immigrants to this nation; now, immigrants come here and expect the country to cater to their laziness in not learning the language. Enough is enough. You want to live in America? Then learn English and stop whining about how "hard" it is.

THIS!!!

the illegal aliens want the whole host nation to bend to them instead of the other way around. they come in illegally, squat and demand they be given citizen benefits without even working for it. oh someone would say, "they all work really hard", but with them demanding everything else at the expense of the host citizens (free education, healthcare, etc), is that hard work really of benefit to the host nation?

Old 11-25-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
THIS!!!

the illegal aliens want the whole host nation to bend to them instead of the other way around. they come in illegally, squat and demand they be given citizen benefits without even working for it. oh someone would say, "they all work really hard", but with them demanding everything else at the expense of the host citizens (free education, healthcare, etc), is that hard work really of benefit to the host nation?
When it comes to learning English I think undocumented people are at a distinct disadvantage, they try to stay in the shadows to avoid the attention of the Police or any authority who might deport them, so in most parts of the country they are unlikely to feel safe enrolling in an English class and their exposure to English is probably limited to their interaction with their employer. I don't agree that they "demand" everything, that has not been my experience with them at all, even in states that give them some benefits, they don't enroll in large numbers, because they don't want to bring attention to the fact that they are here illegally

Old 11-26-2016, 08:43 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,353,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
When it comes to learning English I think undocumented people are at a distinct disadvantage, they try to stay in the shadows to avoid the attention of the Police or any authority who might deport them, so in most parts of the country they are unlikely to feel safe enrolling in an English class and their exposure to English is probably limited to their interaction with their employer. I don't agree that they "demand" everything, that has not been my experience with them at all, even in states that give them some benefits, they don't enroll in large numbers, because they don't want to bring attention to the fact that they are here illegally

oh really? you must be in a place where there's not a lot of them yet, or maybe they're starting to hide more now that trump has won. put them in a place like CA and TX, and you'll see them in protests for their route to citizenship and/or benefts not even given to US citizens, particularly that recent one for the dreamers and the DACA program.

not demanding everything? demanding US citizenship equates to demanding pretty much everything

Old 11-26-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
oh really? you must be in a place where there's not a lot of them yet, or maybe they're starting to hide more now that trump has won. put them in a place like CA and TX, and you'll see them in protests for their route to citizenship and/or benefts not even given to US citizens, particularly that recent one for the dreamers and the DACA program. not demanding everything? demanding US citizenship equates to demanding pretty much everything
Yes, really. I currently live in California, I previously lived in Nevada which has the highest number of undocumented immigrants per capita in the US
And I have yet to witness one of these 'protests' with illegals demanding 'everything'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration