Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 12:47 PM

6 posts, read 4,561 times

Advertisements

I have sponsorship through my job to move to and work in Germany, but does that mean my husband and children automatically receive the same? My husband does not speak German (nor do I) and our kids are toddlers. Will he be able to work over there too since I can and we're married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 06:18 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakoons2 View Post
I have sponsorship through my job to move to and work in Germany, but does that mean my husband and children automatically receive the same? My husband does not speak German (nor do I) and our kids are toddlers. Will he be able to work over there too since I can and we're married?
It depends on what kind of arrangements you have made with the company you will be working with or for.
I am not sure what you mean with 'sponsorship'. You asked if your husband and children will receive the same. The same what ?

Normally, when you are offered a job in Germany, you and your immediate family will be provided with a residency permit (Aufenhaltserlaubnis). That does not automatically mean that your husband will have a chance to work. Have you thought of the possibility that if your husband will not be allowed to work, you may be the sole breadwinner ? It is not cheap at all to live in Germany. Some things are cheaper, some things are more expensive. It all depends on your lifestyle.

Quote:
My husband does not speak German (nor do I) and our kids are toddlers.
I assume the company you will be working for knows that you do not speak any German ?
As long as you are willing to learn, I would not worry too much.
Do not send your kids to an international school if at all possible.
They will learn the local language much faster, when you send them to the local schools !
For you and your husband, the fastest way to learn German is to get involved in whatever way you can and the quickest way is to go to church.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
It depends on what kind of arrangements you have made with the company you will be working with or for.
I am not sure what you mean with 'sponsorship'. You asked if your husband and children will receive the same. The same what ?

Normally, when you are offered a job in Germany, you and your immediate family will be provided with a residency permit (Aufenhaltserlaubnis). That does not automatically mean that your husband will have a chance to work. Have you thought of the possibility that if your husband will not be allowed to work, you may be the sole breadwinner ? It is not cheap at all to live in Germany. Some things are cheaper, some things are more expensive. It all depends on your lifestyle.

I assume the company you will be working for knows that you do not speak any German ?
As long as you are willing to learn, I would not worry too much.
Do not send your kids to an international school if at all possible.
They will learn the local language much faster, when you send them to the local schools !
For you and your husband, the fastest way to learn German is to get involved in whatever way you can and the quickest way is to go to church.
Yes they know I do not speak German, it's not a requirement for this particular position. I have read up a good deal on what's required in order to work in Germany but was confused when it comes to what the spouse is entitled to when a non EU citizen obtains sponsorship (what I mean by sponsorship is a residence/work permit that the employer helps me obtain since they're choosing to hire a non EU citizen)

I absolutely would send them to a local school vs an international school. I agree that's the best way to assimilate. I'm just concerned about my husband qualifying for work since he is MAYBE A1 level at this point (that's being generous) and I don't think he's considered highly skilled (he's in the banking industry) I will have to clarify this with my employer. Thank you!

Old 01-28-2017, 06:56 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
I'm just concerned about my husband qualifying for work since he is MAYBE A1 level at this point (that's being generous) and I don't think he's considered highly skilled (he's in the banking industry) I will have to clarify this with my employer. Thank you!
If you can do it with you only as the sole breadwinner for a while, I would just get there and find out if he can do some work in the banking industry. Since he does not speak any German at all, it may take a while to find work ... if he can get a work permit (Arbeitserlaubnis).

Unlike may people who would love to be able to do a stint in Europe, you have been very lucky to get this chance.

If you would like to know more, I can get you in touch with a family who spent two years there recently on a job assignment. The husband worked and the wife worked at home (two kids) !
We were there in the 80's, so many things may have changed.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:14 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
What visa will he be on?

Old 01-30-2017, 01:23 AM

39 posts, read 31,580 times
i pray for you

Old 01-30-2017, 10:03 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Why don't you ask your employer instead of Americans in an American forum?

My German expat coworkers who are in the US for 3-5 years bring their spouse. They have a work visa and the spouse accompany them and can apply for a work visa but it doesn't happen automatically.

I don't know about the German laws.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Why don't you ask your employer instead of Americans in an American forum?

My German expat coworkers who are in the US for 3-5 years bring their spouse. They have a work visa and the spouse accompany them and can apply for a work visa but it doesn't happen automatically.

I don't know about the German laws.
Sorry for bugging you with my questions, this is one of the biggest and broadest online forums for such issues. Dully noted.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:17 AM

7,704 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
This sounds extremely familiar to a poster who wanted to move her family to Germany.
That poster was also interested in Urban Native communities.

Are you that poster? If so, why have you changed your screenname?

Old 01-31-2017, 08:29 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Sorry for bugging you with my questions, this is one of the biggest and broadest online forums for such issues. Dully noted.
I didn't mean to be rude. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration