Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 4,042 times

Advertisements

hi there,

my father was born in US in 1941, he came to Canada in 1959, met my mother(canadian) and I was born in 1967, am I a us citizen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 08:07 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Take a look at this.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:15 AM

i read if my father stayed until 14 yrs i am, but how do i prove this?

Old 02-03-2017, 08:38 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltostable View Post
i read if my father stayed until 14 yrs i am, but how do i prove this?
It's this:
Citizenship Through Parents
There are two general ways to obtain citizenship through U.S. citizen parents, one at birth and one after birth but before the age of 18.

In a general, a Child Born Outside the U.S. is a Citizen at Birth when the Child’s Parents Are Married to each other at the Time of Birth IF:

One parent is a U.S. citizen at the time of birth and the birthdate is on or after November 14, 1986

AND this:

The U.S. citizen parent had been physically present in the U.S. or its territories for a period of at least five years at some time in his or her life prior to the birth, of which at least two years were after his or her 14th birthday.

If the U.S. citizen parent spent time abroad in any of the following three capacities, this can also be counted towards the physical presence requirement:

Serving honorably in the U.S. armed forces;
Employed with the U.S. government; or
Employed with certain international organizations.
Additionally, time spent abroad by the U.S. citizen parent while the U.S. citizen parent was the unmarried son or daughter and a member of the household of a person who meets any of the three conditions listed above can also be counted.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:11 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,946 times
You're not currently in the US, correct? You would have to apply for a passport to basically show your citizenship. The evidence required for the initial application includes your US parent's birth certificate, your parents' marriage certificate, and an affidavit with all of the dates and addresses that your citizen parent lived in the US. They may ask you for more evidence after that too. If you think you meet the requirements, get the documents together and go for it.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:59 AM

thnak you Lbjen, i live in canada.

I have my fathers birth cert, my parents marriage cert(quebec), well, since he stayed until 18 in the US and I was born in 1967, i think i can apply right? the problem is that i dont have any other proof as my father never aplied for a us passport(and never even became a canadian citizen

Old 02-03-2017, 10:31 AM

169 posts, read 115,325 times
I thought where you were born is the deciding factor of your citizenship? From what you said, you're a Canadian citizen. Why would you even want to be a US citizen when US citizens are fleeing to canada as I speak?

But if you really want to live in trump country. You can. Because your father is American by birth, and birth certificate is all the proof you need, AFAIK.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:25 AM

188 posts, read 357,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asianrocker View Post
I thought where you were born is the deciding factor of your citizenship?
Not true at all. In most countries, you can be born there and live your whole life and not be a citizen of that country. Only a few countries have birthright citizenship. The US is one of a few countries that has this.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:51 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
You will need your Dad to file for a passport, & then he can file for you to get a green card. The laws regarding citizenship for those born overseas ( or borders) to US citizens, changed sometime in the 1930s. Is your Dad still alive?

Old 02-03-2017, 11:54 AM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieRose View Post
Not true at all. In most countries, you can be born there and live your whole life and not be a citizen of that country. Only a few countries have birthright citizenship. The US is one of a few countries that has this.
And it's stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration