Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 04:44 PM

6 posts, read 4,828 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I currently live abroad. I am a US citizen, and my wife is not. I am getting ready to send in the I-130 so that we can get the process moving for my wife to get an immigrant visa to the US, but I have some questions about the affidavit of support that will come down the line.

As mentioned, I do not live in the US, and do not have a US income. Prior to our move to the US, I would have a job lined up, but would not be making any money until then. I do not have the assets to cover the 5 times 125% poverty level, and I have no one in the US to be a joint sponsor.

So this leaves me wondering what my options are. If I have already been extended a job contract, which will pay over the amount I need, is this usable, or do I need to have actually made money at that job for it to count? And if I actually need to have made money, how many months does it need to be? What sort of evidence must I provide? Is there a number of paystubs, or a number of months? Or is it based on tax info from the previous year?

I would like to avoid moving over without my wife (and two children) at all costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 06:47 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,998,391 times
Have you been filing your US income taxes all those years as all US citizens living abroad are required to do for worldwide income? Don't want you to have any nasty IRS surprises in your first year back. You can of course file past returns now. Immigration will want the last 3 years worth. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...-living-abroad

Your past income abroad won't count though, unless it will continue in the US (like a job transfer within the same company). The usual time for a new US job they like to see paystubs for is 6 months. The CR-1 visa takes almost a year (longer for some countries--background police checks), your family will need vaccines, medical clearances, etc. so you will not be able to come with your wife, although you could come with your children as they are USC's through you if you have gotten their CRBA's. You must establish domicile first.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:12 AM

6 posts, read 4,828 times
I have been a student for the last 5 years, and havent earned above the threshhold for filing, so no, I havent filed US taxes lately.

Is there no route to us all moving over together?

Old 03-13-2017, 11:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normerican View Post
I have been a student for the last 5 years, and havent earned above the threshhold for filing, so no, I havent filed US taxes lately.

PM'd you.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:59 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,998,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normerican View Post

Have to file back returns anyway. Did you read the link? This will be the first thing asked for.

You didn't say which country you're in. Some countries you can file DCF, Direct Consular Filing.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:32 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,641,661 times
Are the kids, kids from you and the current wife?

If the kids are not your kids then you need also approval from the biological father to have the kids immigrate and child support may be included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration