Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 824 times

Advertisements

hi everyone, I have this question, I was once caught shoplifting in Arizona and had to go to court, but never did since I was living in mexico, and didn't have a car to come on the date stablished, I have my visitor visa and now I am married to an American citizen and we are starting the inmigration process inside USA, I want to know if this will affect my process? it was a 20 dlls watch I was a kid back then and feel ashamed about what I did please let me know if somebody has been through this and what to do
THANK YOU ALL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 02:04 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,051,463 times
First, I want to applaud you for going through the immigration process legally now. Thank you. Your question is probably best answered by an attorney, but you can go to this site and do a search for your name to see what shows up:

https://apps.supremecourt.az.gov/publicaccess/

good luck

Old 03-17-2017, 05:40 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,758,301 times
A kid as in under 18?

Hopefully that's the case, though I'm not entirely sure on how it'll affect your situation if you get a solid immigration attorney you should be okay.

You're doing the right and legal thing, thank you!

Old 03-18-2017, 01:33 PM

394 posts, read 340,606 times
I agree with teddyearp...

Kudos for going the legal route - Americans welcome good people... And it's admirable to publicly recognize stupid mistakes from past - many people make stupid mistakes daily and devote their lives to covering them up...

As to the thread question - again, I agree with teddyearp - contact an immigration attorney (Hopefully one that honors your dignity and not the shady ones that skirt the system).

Good luck and welcome to AZ (a true representation of the United States).

Old 03-18-2017, 03:21 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,569,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
I agree with teddyearp...

Kudos for going the legal route - Americans welcome good people... And it's admirable to publicly recognize stupid mistakes from past - many people make stupid mistakes daily and devote their lives to covering them up...

As to the thread question - again, I agree with teddyearp - contact an immigration attorney (Hopefully one that honors your dignity and not the shady ones that skirt the system).

Good luck and welcome to AZ (a true representation of the United States).
Rookie & Earp are right on.

There are countless Americans here who appreciate those who toe the line, and stay within a nation's legal ways of doing things. There has always been a proper immigration process for people to follow.

Conversely, there will always be those who prefer to circumvent a nation's system, and they're the ones who will continually be looking over their shoulder -- hiding in the shadows -- knowing that they have broken the laws of a nation.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:52 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,356,924 times
It's great that you're going the legal route to be an actual immigrant. It always bothered my mother that foreign nationals were given the title "immigrant" with the same stature that she had as an immigrant when they were here illegally.

I don't really think the shoplifting incident will be a hindrance if it happened before age 18. I'd mention it for sure, but something tells me they're going to laugh for bringing it up...

Old 03-22-2017, 02:10 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,289,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris290390 View Post
hi everyone, I have this question, I was once caught shoplifting in Arizona and had to go to court, but never did since I was living in mexico, and didn't have a car to come on the date stablished, I have my visitor visa and now I am married to an American citizen and we are starting the inmigration process inside USA, I want to know if this will affect my process? it was a 20 dlls watch I was a kid back then and feel ashamed about what I did please let me know if somebody has been through this and what to do
THANK YOU ALL
I honestly wouldn't be shocked id there is a warrant in the system for you. When i was 16 in NYC, my friend jumped the train turn style without paying. A cop caught him and gave him a 60 dollar ticket that he never paid. 12 years later, he got pulled over for a taillight. that ticket had become 900 dollars and because it turned into a warrant, he spent 2 nights in jail before finally seeing a judge.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:10 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,532,718 times
You can go to the sheriff 's office or maybe if they have online records like Florida has, than you can see if there is a record for you.

As you were a minor it may not show up but skipping court might have been the biggest issue.

You can als have you background check run at one of the background check companies to see what's on your record.

Better to clear it up prior to applying iIF it shows up.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:46 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,051,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
You can go to the sheriff 's office or maybe if they have online records like Florida has, than you can see if there is a record for you.
I gave the OP the direct link for just that up thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration