Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 03:01 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
you are referring to people who aren't supposed to be here . They are self seeking.
If they aren't willing to go back and apply the proper way they should at least not complain about how much it costs.

Lawyers are expensive because they are worth it.
agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 05:30 PM

600 posts, read 566,238 times
Were you born yesterday? All lawyers are blood sucking leeches. Every single one of them.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:25 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Language makes a big difference. High skill workers from Africa, South Asia and East Asia often already speak decent English whereas many Latin American workers are fluent only in Spanish....limiting them in their choice of attorney.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:36 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,352,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Language makes a big difference. High skill workers from Africa, South Asia and East Asia often already speak decent English whereas many Latin American workers are fluent only in Spanish....limiting them in their choice of attorney.
were they forced to come here? with their low job skills and poor english fluency? most probably they forced their way in. they know what to expect coming to the US, hence they should be the ones to adapt and not the other way around. it's more aggravating that a lot of them refuse to learn basic english to adapt to US culture

Old 04-30-2017, 07:27 AM

120 posts, read 96,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
were they forced to come here? with their low job skills and poor english fluency? most probably they forced their way in. they know what to expect coming to the US, hence they should be the ones to adapt and not the other way around. it's more aggravating that a lot of them refuse to learn basic english to adapt to US culture
I agree i hate it when they want me to learn their language,this is america learn english and it be alot easier..

Old 04-30-2017, 07:35 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
I'm not saying that, I was just pointing out that a lot of "immigration" lawyers don't seem to do much at all vs. the absurd amount of money they charge their customers.

Obviously "the process" takes time, but it's even worse for those people that do get ripped off along the way - since they basically have to "start over" from square one.

This particular relative had already paid out well over $7k spread out over a few years to an attorney that didn't do anything (other than asking for more money at every opportunity), she just recently had to pay out like $2500 to retain this latest attorney. I can certainly understand the frustration, if I had lost that kind of money I would be pissed too
If you do not get what you pay for and keep on paying - what is one supposed to say? Why did you not step in?

Old 04-30-2017, 09:20 AM

72 posts, read 55,546 times
Immigration law is complex and there is very little an immigration attorney can do to push a case pending with the USCIS. If you are in Immigration Court proceedings, you absolutely need an attorney for litigation against a government. But if you only have a pending application with the USCIS, the process moves slow and there is really nothing much your attorney can do to speed up the process (that doesn't stop some attorneys from charging the clients huge amounts though). There are lot of places giving free immigration services to poor and uneducated. If you are an educated person with good English, many of the forms can be filed with instructions from the USCIS website. For complex cases, you need an attorney assistance if you want to do it right. One of the biggest reasons your application will get delayed or denied is for lack of proper filing.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:30 AM

604 posts, read 617,742 times
US immigration processes are too complex, so you need a lawyer.

I did say "complex", not restrictive. You can have restrictive policies without the complexities that only a full time practitioner can understand.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:40 AM

421 posts, read 204,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep
If you do not get what you pay for and keep on paying - what is one supposed to say? Why did you not step in?
I found out "after the fact", this is a distant relative of sorts, I only hear about her once in a blue moon.

It's not hard at all to find Mexicans complaining on the internet and leaving bad reviews under attorney's "reviews" comment sections

Old 04-30-2017, 04:30 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
I found out "after the fact", this is a distant relative of sorts, I only hear about her once in a blue moon.

It's not hard at all to find Mexicans complaining on the internet and leaving bad reviews under attorney's "reviews" comment sections
So- someone you are somehow related to has an issue but Mexicans leave bad reviews. .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration