Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 11:25 AM

10 posts, read 10,407 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Firstly, any comments or advice are much appreciated. I admit, I am not well versed with the entire immigration policies in place/taking place so I apologize if I may come off as noobish.
Without further ado, I will explain a little about my wife's situation. Perhaps someone else has been/or is currently in the same situation. She entered the U.S. illegally at the age of 2 and has lived here ever since. This is her home. We got married about 4 years ago and have attempted to work on her case to make her a resident, I am a U.S. citizen. She has no criminal record, graduated from high school, and her mother and brother live in Mexico. Only her younger sister, a U.S. citizen, lives with us at the moment. Her mother left her sister with us when she had to return to Mexico for an emergency about 2 years ago.
Anyway, we worked with an immigration agency that advised her not to apply for DACA when it was available because "it would cause problems with her provisional waiver". Only recently have we figured out this was not the case. We recently abandoned this agency because of dishonesty and conning behavior on their part. I am very upset to have spent almost 3 years for naught.
So, at the moment, we are trying to figure out the best path to take and are talking to different lawyers. I just wanted to see if anyone has been in a familiar situation and can offer any advice. We are quite desperate since we have spent all these years together and have not been able to accomplish much in her case. We dreamt of traveling the world, buying a house, etc. but are stuck at the moment.
Any commentary is welcomed!!!
Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 02:14 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
You are in the wrong forum. This is for LEGAL immigration. Your topic belongs to the ILLEGAL area.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:29 PM

Thank you.
As I stated in my post, not only am I noobish in the entire legalities of the situation but also with the proper method for posting on these forums.
Once again, thank you.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:26 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Are you sure this is the wrong forum? He's here to figure out his wife can become legal. It would seem like it fits here.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:47 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Are you sure this is the wrong forum? He's here to figure out his wife can become legal. It would seem like it fits here.
It was in the "Illegal" forum, I reported it and said it should be moved, as I did believe he would not get much help from that area.

I would think someone here must have dealt with that, perhaps a legal immigrant who had married an illegal alien. Whatever?

I did find it sad that OP was basically taken for a "ride" by immigration lawyers although I think many are equal to "ambulance" chasers. Just another group that exploit illegal aliens and, therefore, appreciate their being in the US.

OP, have you "googled" your question looking for blogs, forums, etc. that might have a discussion? I doubt that your situation is unique.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:22 AM

Good morning all,

Thank you for your responses.

AnywhereElse, I have tried looking on Google and other search engines for any forums with a similar discussion but have yet to find anything of worth. Of course, I will continue searching.

The situation certainly sucks and I feel really bad for my wife. I mean, she has so many artistic talents to show the world but she is stuck in hiding for an action she had no control over when younger. I am just trying to make the best out of a bad situation. Thank you all for your compassion.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:08 PM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Petition for her Green Card. Do not let her leave the US. Document your efforts to correct the situation and your work with the agency advising you against filing DACA and what you have been doing since.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Petition for her Green Card. Do not let her leave the US. Document your efforts to correct the situation and your work with the agency advising you against filing DACA and what you have been doing since.
We will do that! We have documentation on everything so far. Thank you!

Old 09-18-2017, 06:15 PM

282 posts, read 444,393 times
The problem is that she "entered illegally," which means that she cannot adjust status unless she is granted a waiver of the unlawful presence bar. You did mention a provisional waiver--has that application been made? It requires a showing of extreme hardship to you (not to her).

It is a shame she didn't apply for DACA. Unfortunately, "immigration agencies" are often just consultants who don't know or care what they are doing, and do not answer to any licensing entity or ethical or competency standards. Talking to a real lawyer is a step forward, though of course some are better than others.

Right now, you and your wife are trapped in politics. If DACA comes back, or if some legislation is passed, jump on it right away.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 PM

626 posts, read 626,226 times
This is not the right forum for this. You will get better advice going to visajourney.com. It is a immigration website that can help you out better than a lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration