U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:40 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 88,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Yep, then Rush Limpbutt can go back on his rants of "the entire freshman class at the University of California is Asian". Of course that wasn't true, but if it had been true it would have been because they got there due to MERIT.

If you live in any area with a major proportion of Asian Americans just review the last 10 year's of newspaper stories of high school class valedictorians/salutarians. Talent and hard work will out.

Although I agree we need to divert as many of these folks as possible and get them down here. If not for the "boat people" of the '70s some of my dearest friends, and our county's best mathematicians and engineers wouldn't be here.

golfgod
If they're so great, why do they need to escape the despotism and stagnant conformity of their own nations? And, who's responsible for the despotism and stagnant conformity of their own nations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 AM

21,157 posts, read 26,339,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
It makes sense that these technical nuances betray the original intent of affirmative action. Although, I should point out that when you fill out a racial questionnaire, it states the races, ethnicities etc., but also states "Choose the option which reflects the original location of your background. If you choose white in America, Europe, South Africa etc. it all means your origins hail from the motherland of Europe. The hispanic category is different animal, because they can't do away with it because a vast majority of Hispanics are of mixed race, but since their society values whiteness so much, they will choose white, even if it is not technically correct. This would skew the census results greatly. Hell if they really want to get it right, they should just send swabs to everone and if you are 80% or more of one race than that's what you are, If you are between 80% to 20% of any race than you are mixed. Simple, but undoable due to the expense....
Not true: an ancestral DNA test is only about $250 these days. I know because I am waiting for my results any day now

As for the Mestizo Hispanics; lump 'em in with American Indians if going by the DNA thing.

To be blunt; I do not believe in Affirmative Action based on a person's ethnicity------it is a slap in the face of those 'minority' members who have a 'can-do' attitude.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:43 PM

1,267 posts, read 93,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Not true: an ancestral DNA test is only about $250 these days. I know because I am waiting for my results any day now

As for the Mestizo Hispanics; lump 'em in with American Indians if going by the DNA thing.

To be blunt; I do not believe in Affirmative Action based on a person's ethnicity------it is a slap in the face of those 'minority' members who have a 'can-do' attitude.
Where are you getting it done from? Please gimme some info! I want to get one done as well. It will be interesting to see what kind of European ancestors I have

Old 03-20-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Where are you getting it done from? Please gimme some info! I want to get one done as well. It will be interesting to see what kind of European ancestors I have
I am using Identigene.

It takes about 8 weeks to process the cheek swab sample though.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:12 PM

1,814 posts, read 1,958,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Might also have to do with the amount of white Americans who don't get into college or receive grants due to racial quotas. Many spots in colleges and grants are given to minorities, which could explain your perception.
Have you also noticed that many of our high school students cannot read or write? How do they make it to graduation without being able to read or write?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:31 PM

1,267 posts, read 93,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am using Identigene.

It takes about 8 weeks to process the cheek swab sample though.
A little expensive.. I'll shop around for some more places. Thanks anyway

Old 03-21-2008, 02:07 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 88,558 times
Quote:
What do you mean by what kind? Whether you're Alpine, Mediterranean, Slavic, or Nordic, or some mixture of the aforementioned, you should be able to tell by looking at family photos or in the mirror. Beyond that, it's really more territorial than anything else, and besides, the metagroups I mentioned are very similar anyway, so if you're a European you have more in common with all of Europe than anybody else. Even within a nation, there can be many subgroups -- I believe in Germany during the 30's citizens of Germany were catagorized as one of eight different subgoups, with varrying amounts of Alpine, Mediterranean, and Nordic.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
What do you mean by what kind? Whether you're Alpine, Mediterranean, Slavic, or Nordic, or some mixture of the aforementioned, you should be able to tell by looking at family photos or in the mirror. Beyond that, it's really more territorial than anything else, and besides, the metagroups I mentioned are very similar anyway, so if you're a European you have more in common with all of Europe than anybody else. Even within a nation, there can be many subgroups -- I believe in Germany during the 30's citizens of Germany were catagorized as one of eight different subgoups, with varrying amounts of Alpine, Mediterranean, and Nordic.
To me 'European' is a cultural label anymore.

Dario Franchitti; the race car driver is a Scotsman--------despite being of obvious stereotypical Italian heritage (both name and looks)

For some record; many of today's famous Scots are of the above background.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:40 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,379,016 times
I think this test would really be more desired by racially mixed people. I migh do it, although I did one before and while it was really vaguely accurate, I hope that the tests now are more specific. Oh, and be warned that many of the scientists who run these laboratories are Indians. In their universe, they believe that they are part of the caucasian race. They call it Indo-European. I mean come on; Osama Bin Laden is caucasian? I have seen Indians with blacker skin than Africans, but with straight hair. These people are Indo-European? All skewed.....

Old 03-21-2008, 10:46 PM

558 posts, read 32,514 times
Quote:
The Mexican interested in his European ancestors, but not his Aztec ancestors, Interesting. I'm telling you, you have an issue with your race.

Spanish and Arab(Moors). Arabs took over Spain for centuries. Moors were described by the original spanairds as black skinned people. They took over Spain, Portugal, France and North Africa. That why you have spanairds who are blonde and blue eyed and those with brown hair, brown eyes and tanned skinned (Antonio Banderas). And mostly likely some African blood that mixed with the Arab. There...no need to spend $250!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration