Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:12 PM

21 posts, read 11,515 times

Advertisements

change every year and how many questions change? Should this person wait until he or she first applies first to begin studying for the test? This person isn't sure when he or she will even fill out the application. It sounds like it will be in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 06:09 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
There were changes about ten years ago. Plenty of study material on uscis.gov and it is really not difficult.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:51 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSNT View Post
change every year and how many questions change? Should this person wait until he or she first applies first to begin studying for the test? This person isn't sure when he or she will even fill out the application. It sounds like it will be in a few years.
They don’t change for the most part besides the political questions. Like “Who is the Speaker of the House?” It used to be John Boehner now it is Paul Ryan.

Other than the politics questions not much has changed.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:45 PM

297 posts, read 166,779 times
Most of these questions are common knowledge. Some are a bit harder. Like your representative and senator. It's funny that they ask people who don't have the right to vote, who their neighbors elected.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:35 AM

90 posts, read 55,581 times
Start ASAp. No joke. Some may change but not most of them and this process is longer then even hubby and I had assumed. We just paid the $300 and applied for the test but were told point blank it will realistically be close to two years for the actual citizenship process to complete. We've been back here three years now and waited that time because we didn't know better but wish we would have started the moment we were allowed to apply.

Also, depending where you live, there should be a center that will give a course a few times a year for the process and testing. Just check with the library first for any resources.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:03 AM

535 posts, read 343,489 times
The test is more difficult than 10 years ago. Please do not tell people that they will pass without studying. "Can pass" is more like it. There are so many factors that play into whether or not a person will pass. Most people who speak English fairly well will pass if they study. They need to study anticipated questions based on their personal information submitted on their N-400 application. They also need to study the 100 history questions, plus be able to read and write English easily. The immigration officer also has to like their attitude and demeanor. If h/she doesn't like you, things can get a bit tougher, just like any other interview, but the stakes are higher. Hopefully, you do not have a criminal history and meet the eligibility requirements. Having a job is a plus but not necessary. If you do not understand and speak English, take an English class. If you want to pass the test, take a citizenship class at a local church, community center, or an adult school. The classes are low cost and/or free. If you take them at a private agency, the classes can cost anywhere from $500.00-$3,000.00. You don't always need a lawyer, especially if you can explain your life problem (domestic violence or jail) and have not been in trouble since. You must be able to explain any questions that they have in English. You can see where going to a class can help.

This is not legal advice. I am NOT a lawyer.

Last edited by suziq38; 06-18-2018 at 01:23 AM..

Old 06-18-2018, 01:16 AM

535 posts, read 343,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_trekkies View Post
Start ASAp. No joke. Some may change but not most of them and this process is longer then even hubby and I had assumed. We just paid the $300 and applied for the test but were told point blank it will realistically be close to two years for the actual citizenship process to complete. We've been back here three years now and waited that time because we didn't know better but wish we would have started the moment we were allowed to apply.

Also, depending where you live, there should be a center that will give a course a few times a year for the process and testing. Just check with the library first for any resources.
I think that if you want to someday be an American citizen, sooner is better than later. They are making the test more difficult, especially to those whose first language is not English. One USCIS officer said that she felt bad when an applicant came in to h/her interview unprepared. She asked me what would be a nice way to tell them that they did not pass...I told her to look them in the eye and tell them the truth. Maybe they need to speak better English, or they needed to remember all of their prior names if they had been married more than once. They also may need to study all their addresses, know where they went on vacation, and how much they paid last year in child support. We just do not know what any given USCIS officer will ask, so study as much as you can. If you do not understand or speak English well enough, they will fail you for your inability to speak English. This is difficult to overcome for the second interview, because it is difficult to improve your English in only two months.

One of my most confident students told me that she got in to the interview and forgot 50% of her knowledge because she was nervous. Understandable. She said it was a good thing she memorized the 100 History questions. They study paper is available on the USCIS website!
Unreal that some people do not prepare at all.

One student made me laugh. He studied very hard and was well prepared. At the day of the interview, he saw another man studying the paper in the lobby. He teased the man a little and said that he hoped he had memorized the 100 questions earlier. If not, it was kind of late now.

All I say is that the cost is close to $800.00 with the biometrics fee. Who wants to lose that money because of lack of studying? You only get two chances for the same fee.

Good luck to all!

This is not legal advice, just my opinion. I am NOT a lawyer.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
The citizenship test SHOULD be hard. I took it over 10 years ago with the old process and the interviewer and I had a laugh about it. However, I’m a native English speaker. The toughest question I got was asking who the governor was. This was in NY when Spitzer just resigned the week before and Patterson took over (I got it right).

Rote memorization was replaced by some contextual questions which in my mind makes more sense. If you become an American you should assimilate into the great melting pot.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:23 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Depending on your Visa class from your Green Card, the wait times have nearly doubled under Trump. When we initially applied our time was 12-15 months. Now, 13 months later, the wait time is 17-23 months.

The general knowledge questions are available online, and they select 20 of the 100 questions. The only really "difficult" ones are the number of representatives, and who your elected reps are on any given day.

I also hear "Cheeto vonTinyhands" is no longer an acceptable answer for "who is the President?"

Old 06-19-2018, 02:42 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Timelines very per center. Tampa center still has approximately the same time line as under the previous president.

Many legal aliens are now trying to become citizens to vote for Trump in the next election so time lines may get a little longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration