U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old 06-09-2012, 07:52 AM
9,952 posts, read 14,667,533 times
Reputation: 12724


Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
She can probably get a divorce- in states like Nevada, it takes only 6 weeks. But that doesn't mean she can stay here. If you petition her for a sibling visa to get a greencard, you are looking at a 10+ year waitinglist. If she comes on a tourist visa, she needs to qualify by herself, you cannot petition her, and she cannot stay past what the immigration officer at the border gives her, usually 6 months. If the kids want to go to school they would need an F1 student visa, tourist visas are for visiting/ vacation, not going to school.
Will her home of record recognize a US divorce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Location: Rogers, Arkansas
1,280 posts, read 3,817,278 times
Reputation: 1204
Most countries will recognise a foreign divorce, but not all (Philippines will not, for example). Also, in some countries it will cost more to get a foreign divorce officially recognised than to divorce locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Location: Chicago area
1,101 posts, read 2,457,587 times
Reputation: 2076
Originally Posted by sheycorley1 View Post
i am u.s. citizen - petition sister and her 2 small children to visit in the u.s. as tourist visa , but she wants to file a divorce while she's here in the u.s. Is it possible - could the children go to school?
The US divorce may not be recognized in her country so it may be pointless to divorce here.
The kids would most likely not be able to go to school on a tourist visa. That's not what tourist visas are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2013, 04:11 PM
1 posts, read 400 times
Reputation: 10
I'm here by the tourist visa b1/b2 .I'v known a girl before i come to you us ,me and her want to marry ,and I stay in here with her ,I'm still legally in here ..what should i do now ? the steps ? after marriage the us laws allow me to stay with her >.... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top