Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 05:18 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,744,350 times

Advertisements

European legal immigrants, are you treated well?
Did any of you from Europe, especially from Eastern Europe experienced bad treatment from either Americans or other immigrants? In which state was it, and was it in a big city or outside of big cities?
Outside of California and New York, which states are most friendly to Europeans?

I live in California, and I am treated well generally, except sometimes I face hiring discrimination from companies/departments where everyone is 1st gen Indian or everyone is 1st gen Chinese immigrants. From some American managers I sometimes sense slight discrimination in hiring, they seem to prioritize people into groups like 1st non-white immigrants (gaining diversity points within their own corporate HR bureaucracy), 2nd white Americans, 3rd (last) white European immigrants.

I've heard some people from Europe had bad experiences in Tennessee, or South Carolina or other places. Even though these places have many illegals from Mexico too. I have a feeling that some locals hold back on any negative feelings they have towards the masses of illegal Mexican migrants, in fear of being called racists, so instead they unleash all those feelings on white European immigrants as substitute or safe targets or scapegoats. Often center right conservatives use the word "immigrant" to describe things done by one immigrant group so they can blame all that on another immigrant group. While the left uses the word for the opposite purpose, they mention good things done by one immigrant group, so they can defend another immigrant group based on that. Note that illegals are not immigrants, and "immigrant" is a grouping of unrelated people with nothing in common. Even though most European legal immigrants are net tax payers and assimilate within the first generation, except for an accent. Accent is not comparable to real crime like theft/murder/fraud, which is more common in certain other immigrant groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 08:12 PM

27,203 posts, read 46,518,781 times
I’m a Western European, and never had any negative experience.

Maybe because Florida is awesome.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:52 PM

630 posts, read 517,780 times
OP, I'm in California and although I can't say that I have been the target of blatant racism, I can relate to what said about "European immigrants" being PC xenophobia targets. Note that I have noticed it the most coming from AA first, and Hispanics second. They tend to emphasize their "americanness" as way to feel superior and symbolically have their "revenge on White people". White Americans can also do it, but I have notice more curiosity than hostility coming from them.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
OP, I'm in California and although I can't say that I have been the target of blatant racism, I can relate to what said about "European immigrants" being PC xenophobia targets. Note that I have noticed it the most coming from AA first, and Hispanics second. They tend to emphasize their "americanness" as way to feel superior and symbolically have their "revenge on White people". White Americans can also do it, but I have notice more curiosity than hostility coming from them.
Same experience.
Even from Americans, most of them never shows anything like this. A few do, at a subtle level, mainly related to corporate hiring policy, not so much at the personal level.
Most of my experience is from California. When I was visiting small town Florida, people looked at me weird after hearing my accent or my name, they seemed uncomfortable.
My friend's friend was living in Tennessee as upper middle class, he was originally from Eastern Europe, he fled to California, complaining about treatment. I didn't talk to him directly, so I don't know the story.
Many people in California are considering moving out, due to the political and financial situation here. But then we might end up in a place where we are not welcome? That would be an issue.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:14 PM

1,045 posts, read 748,287 times
Americans can be quite xenophobic, particularly in the South. I was born & raised here so I know how these people think. White southerners tend to feel that this country is for those born here - especially if their skin is light. If you live out West or up North, you might want to stay there. Illegals, racists, and thugs have taken over the South, Midwest & parts of the Southwest. I've been to Europe a couple of times, and if I had been born there, I would not come to the US to live. It's become a 3rd world country under the Trump regime.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Americans can be quite xenophobic, particularly in the South. I was born & raised here so I know how these people think. White southerners tend to feel that this country is for those born here - especially if their skin is light. If you live out West or up North, you might want to stay there. Illegals, racists, and thugs have taken over the South, Midwest & parts of the Southwest. I've been to Europe a couple of times, and if I had been born there, I would not come to the US to live. It's become a 3rd world country under the Trump regime.
Not sure under what rock you are, as I'm here for decades, have an accent and never had anything you describe.

Maybe you have a nasty character that others don't like, but based on being a European, I have to meet the first American, in the entire US (all different States) that is rude, just based on dealing with an European.

Your post sounds more like an anti President left wing post.

To me this entire thread is strange...

Old 09-13-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Not sure under what rock you are, as I'm here for decades, have an accent and never had anything you describe.

Maybe you have a nasty character that others don't like, but based on being a European, I have to meet the first American, in the entire US (all different States) that is rude, just based on dealing with an European.

Your post sounds more like an anti President left wing post.

To me this entire thread is strange...
Which states have you been to on non-touristy basis (living, job interviews, family visits)?

Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Which states have you been to on non-touristy basis (living, job interviews, family visits)?
At least 12-15 States. All very pleasant experiences with normal interaction where you meet nice people, less friendly people, etc. like every where in the world.

Not once did I feel like Europeans are singled out.

Many times, people have asked me where I'm from as if you do not move here as a child, you keep an accent and all responses where positive.

But if you have a different experience, you may not live in the country that fits you best.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
At least 12-15 States. All very pleasant experiences with normal interaction where you meet nice people, less friendly people, etc. like every where in the world.

Not once did I feel like Europeans are singled out.

Many times, people have asked me where I'm from as if you do not move here as a child, you keep an accent and all responses where positive.

But if you have a different experience, you may not live in the country that fits you best.
Have you lived in any southern state, including Carolinas, or Florida?
Another thing is if you are a woman, they may be more accepting. They may perceive a foreign man more of a threat.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:09 PM

23,875 posts, read 10,243,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Have you lived in any southern state, including Carolinas, or Florida?
Another thing is if you are a woman, they may be more accepting. They may perceive a foreign man more of a threat.

I needed a good chuckle. You bring up the good old discrimination card for yourself and then throw it at women.

I am no buying Bentlebee's "living in 12-15 states" either. To me living in a state means, house, work/business, community. But that is me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration