Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the citizenship of a non-US born legal immigrant should be revoked if they committ a se
No 12 33.33%
Yes 24 66.67%
No Opinion/Not Sure 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:24 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I understand your point. I'd hope that MOST gang-bangers are never accepted for citizenship in the first place, at least not when they're in a gang. THose who got in in early childhood, IMHO, are "our" problem..they're Americans.
I agree. But they get their citizenship, and it irrevokable now, so they just do whatever the hell they want. Putting the fear of deportation forever in their minds would hopefully keep them from doing that kind of stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 10:25 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I dont think this is like that. What about all those gang members. We could get rid of them and send them back where they were born.
I've been to a few citizenship swearing in ceremonies and I havent seen one person who resembled a gangbanger. I also dont think illegals who are gangbangers are concerned with becoming US citizens. If they are gangbangers and they passed through the screening process with complete and accurate information and they were permitted to become citizens, then they are still our problem but now we have to focus on the screening process if we allowed illegals who are in gangs to become citizens.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
I've been to a few citizenship swearing in ceremonies and I havent seen one person who resembled a gangbanger. I also dont think illegals who are gangbangers are concerned with becoming US citizens. If they are gangbangers and they passed through the screening process with complete and accurate information and they were permitted to become citizens, then they are still our problem but now we have to focus on the screening process if we allowed illegals who are in gangs to become citizens.
The ones that honestly want to be here probably wouldnt committ a serious crime though. I am talking about people who do horrible crimes or are capable of it.....not about just deporting the average Joes for the heck of it. The people you see at the ceremonies probably would have nothing to worry about since they likely wont committ any crimes.

Also, Mexico is horrible at reporting their criminals since policing is limited. We cant rely on their data to verify if they have been good little boys and girls or not.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:33 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
I agree. But they get their citizenship, and it irrevokable now, so they just do whatever the hell they want. Putting the fear of deportation forever in their minds would hopefully keep them from doing that kind of stuff.
What about all our other American criminals? Do they get their citizenship revoked and deported too or just Mexicans?

Old 04-23-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
What about all our other American criminals? Do they get their citizenship revoked and deported too or just Mexicans?
All non-US born immigrants who committ serious crimes. Not just Mexicans. And the average person would have nothing to worry about. Just the lowlifes who we shouldnt care about anyway.

Its more about the potential punishment in order to keep new immigrants from committing crimes at twice the national level. If their citizenship is threatened, dont you think they will be less likely to committ crime?

Old 04-23-2008, 10:45 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,468 times
Quote:
I am talking about people who do horrible crimes or are capable of it......
So you want to revoke the citizenship of people who MAY commit horrible crimes? How can you tell who will commit a horrible crime or is “capable” of it?

Remember the joke, what does a homicidal maniac look like? Just like everybody else.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
So you want to revoke the citizenship of people who MAY commit horrible crimes? How can you tell who will commit a horrible crime or is “capable” of it?

Remember the joke, what does a homicidal maniac look like? Just like everybody else.
Gang members is what I meant by that.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:35 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,135,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo
I am talking about people who do horrible crimes or are capable of it......
Anyone is capable of committing a horrible crime.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Anyone is capable of committing a horrible crime.
Speak for yourself! I don't believe I am. At least not the crimes I would consider horrible. Say becoming a serial killer -- I don't believe I have it in me. I'm too much into work to become an armed robber, killing bank security guards or taking tellers hostage.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
You can't really deport American born Americans -- there's no place to deport them. I suppose we could export them by encouraging them to emigrate but no country is going to want to take them in. Then we'd have to get into that stuff about encouraging them to immigrate illegally into other countries and that isn't going to go over well. I think we're stuck with domestic criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration