Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the citizenship of a non-US born legal immigrant should be revoked if they committ a se
No 12 33.33%
Yes 24 66.67%
No Opinion/Not Sure 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:50 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,130,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Speak for yourself! I don't believe I am. At least not the crimes I would consider horrible. Say becoming a serial killer -- I don't believe I have it in me. I'm too much into work to become an armed robber, killing bank security guards or taking tellers hostage.
Murder isn't the only crime considered "horrible".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,565,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Murder isn't the only crime considered "horrible".
I also said armed robbery. Pedophilia is another horrible crime I don't think I'm capable of, I'm not into extortion or kidnapping much either.

I can't think of any horrible crime I'm capable of doing. I don't even speed or run red lights anymore.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I also said armed robbery. Pedophilia is another horrible crime I don't think I'm capable of, I'm not into extortion or kidnapping much either.

I can't think of any horrible crime I'm capable of doing. I don't even speed or run red lights anymore.
Lots of people run red lights. Probably the most common crime in the world. It becomes horrible when you run it, and crash, and kill someone.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:12 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,692,651 times
Quote:
Lots of people run red lights. Probably the most common crime in the world. It becomes horrible when you run it, and crash, and kill someone.
I read this wrong at first and thought you meant that we should deport people who simply run red lights. It gave me a good laugh. When I say deport immigrants who committ serious crimes, I dont mean small "overnight in the pokey" crimes, but crimes that will get you some serious time (5+ years). And I DONT mean immigrants who were born here, I mean foreign born immigrants only.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I read this wrong at first and thought you meant that we should deport people who simply run red lights. It gave me a good laugh. When I say deport immigrants who committ serious crimes, I dont mean small "overnight in the pokey" crimes, but crimes that will get you some serious time (5+ years). And I DONT mean immigrants who were born here, I mean foreign born immigrants only.
We were talking about horrible crimes and that anyone is capable of doing them.. not just illegals. Any human being is.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
We were talking about horrible crimes and that anyone is capable of doing them.. not just illegals. Any human being is.
But the difference is "capability" and actually doing it. You shouldnt be punished for capability, I misspoke earlier, but should be punished for actually doing it by loosing your citizenship.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:27 AM

Quote:
But the difference is "capability" and actually doing it. You shouldnt be punished for capability, I misspoke earlier, but should be punished for actually doing it by loosing your citizenship.
You hold up a gun to someone's head, but don't pull the trigger. They were capable of killing them. You're saying they shouldn't be punished. It's called Attempted Murder.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
You hold up a gun to someone's head, but don't pull the trigger. They were capable of killing them. You're saying they shouldn't be punished. It's called Attempted Murder.
Ok, you fooled me.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:31 AM

2,539 posts, read 3,722,870 times
Quote:
I dont think this is like that. What about all those gang members. We could get rid of them and send them back where they were born. Yeah, maybe its not fair to countries like Mexico, but they haven't been exactly fair with us over the past about immigration. Also, why do we suddenly care so much about whether a criminals citizenship is revoked? If they committ a serious crime, why shouldn't we send them back to where they were born.
I highly doubt gang members, or anyone who's committed a crime in the US, can get a citizenship here. You do know that there's an intensive background check involved TWICE, right? First when an applicant applies for greencard, second when applicant applies for citizenship. These background checks are done by FBI and they not only check an applicant's domestic crime record but also international.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I highly doubt gang members, or anyone who's committed a crime in the US, can get a citizenship here. You do know that there's an intensive background check involved TWICE, right? First when an applicant applies for greencard, second when applicant applies for citizenship. These background checks are done by FBI and they not only check an applicant's domestic crime record but also international.
First of all, the government does not have time to do that extensive of a check on these people, there are just too many. Also, countries like Mexico never document (or rarely) docuement their crimes. There is a lack of policing there meaning that people can get away with serious crimes easily.....which wont be detected by our screening. The only way to ensure is to monitor their behavior while they are here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration