Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2020, 09:47 AM

286 posts, read 382,670 times

Advertisements

long story short Im an American, born US Citizen. my wife is Nigerian we met years ago in Nigeria and I got married to her last month, through the Federal Government of Nigeria (got a wedding certificate), also had her traditional marriage as required by her culture as well. She also has changed her surname to mine as well through the Nigerian Gov't, shes essentially done or doing her part to give me what I need to submit for her VISA.

https://www.boundless.com/immigratio...itizen-abroad/

I just want to make sure the link i shared is the type of VISA that i should be applying for now I see youtube channels, I see blogs, these are things that confuse me or these are my questions I should say:

1. Is it recommended to use an attorney?, theyre pricey, averaging $4000 USD and there are people online that swear they aren't a necessity.
2. Whats the typical time to bring her to America? I get different answers as well and just want other peoples input or information as to what they have found.
3. She is also pregnant with my child, and I've read there are ways to bring her to America sooner because she is carrying a child? but don't know if this is untrue?
4. Does anybody know of a 3rd party company that assists with these type of immigration visas? I understand that these 3rd party companies charge a fee and essentially confirm you have submitted all the documentation and that they aren't attorneys. But anybody know of a firm or company that assists in such matters.

Thank you all for any information you guys give me, I've been doing tons of research, any questions you guys can answer or guide me in the right direction will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 10:19 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
If your wife delivers the child outside of the US, be sure to follow the State Department rules on registering the birth:

"Birth of U.S. Citizens and Non-Citizen Nationals Abroad
If you are a U.S. citizen (or non-citizen national) and have a child overseas, you should report their birth at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate as soon as possible so that a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) can be issued as an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship or nationality.

CRBAs are issued to both U.S. citizens and non-citizen nationals. A CRBA is not intended to serve as proof of the identity of the child’s legal parents. Therefore, in general, the name or names listed on the CRBA are the U.S. national’s parent(s) and have a biological connection to the child. A second parent may be listed on the CRBA if the second parent demonstrates a legal parental relationship to the child under local law. The CRBA does not, however, serve as a record of that individual’s status.

You can apply for a CRBA by completing Form DS-2029. For instructions on how to apply for a CRBA, visit the webpage for the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in the country where your child was born and navigate to the American Citizens Service section. Please note the application must be signed in front of a consular officer, notary public, or other person qualified to administer oaths.
If one parent is not a U.S. citizen or if the U.S. citizen parent who is transmitting citizenship to their child is not present when applying for a CRBA, that parent should complete Form DS-5507 as supporting evidence, and it can be used to list the periods of time they spent in the United States.
If the child was born out-of-wedlock, and the father is a U.S. citizen or non-citizen U.S national, use Form DS-5507 to legally acknowledge the child and voluntarily agree to financially support them. Form DS-5507 may be signed in front of a notary or at a U.S. embassy or consulate. "

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...a%20%28CRBA%29

Old 11-02-2020, 06:22 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Go to Uscis.gov or travel.state.gov. Both are official links. Triple check your documentation, have two copies of everything you submit and be patient.
Child - same source, birth abroad.
Have you filed your US tax returns? If not IRS.gov expats.
Are YOU in the US or in Nigeria?
Pregnancy has no impact on US immigration.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:21 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
I can only say that someone I know also got married in Nigeria. It took several years before they could come to the U.S. They had to be separated for months at a time as the U.S. Citizen spouse had to travel back home several times while waiting. Be prepared for a long drawn out process. I think people should ask these questions before marrying, but this is the way it goes sometimes.

Old 11-03-2020, 02:16 PM

286 posts, read 382,670 times
Thank you all, appreciate the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration