Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 12:12 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times

Advertisements

You might want to message an American trucking company like Maverick or Schneider and see what they say. There's a shortage of truckers in the US and I know of a number of immigrants who are now truckers, though I don't know how they got their visa to the US in the first place.

Both those companies will actually pay for your training, provided you sign a 1-2 year contract with them.

I'm moving back to the US with my foreign wife and our daughter after a long time abroad (fortunately for me, I'm a US citizen). The US does indeed have plenty of problems, but a lot of the people who seem to think that the US is in a terminal downward spiral and anything would be better haven't lived abroad and don't realize that the US isn't the only place in the world that suffers from social and economic problems. There are still many people from all over the world who still want to move to the US, and there are reasons for that.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 09:14 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I wish I could switch places with you. I would love to be in your shoes...
No kidding. My first question upon reading OP's first post was "dear g-d, why???"

Old 03-18-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Uhhh, I don’t think so. There are literally millions of illegal aliens in the US that live, work, have tons of children, live here all their lives. They even get welfare, government assistance, free medical care. If I have any advice for the OP, just get here. Once your in, your just about golden. Keep your head down, be the Grey Man. Work for cash, lots of employers, especially in the construction trade, restaurant and agriculture will “look the other way”. They are begging for truck drivers in the US. If you have the money, get a used truck, start a hauling service for cash.
I thought giving illegal advice was a big no-no on C-D?

Old 03-19-2021, 08:21 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Is it still that low? Ridiculous. No one with such a small business will do much of anything to help out our economy.
It is not about helping the economy -- it is about not being a drain on the economy. Someone with half a million-plus is not going to be signing up for food stamps and caresource.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:25 AM

OP, the chances of you getting permission to come here are extremely low. You don't have family in the US, and you don't have any special skills or education. Is there somewhere else in the EU that would provide you with a better life?

Old 03-21-2021, 08:34 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
No kidding. My first question upon reading OP's first post was "dear g-d, why???"
The US' economy is likely to bounce over the next few years, ala post-08 recovery. Taxes and interest rates are low, and the US's small business structure rewards enterprising individuals. This is why so many people do want to move here and open businesses or become an independent contractor such as a trucker, repairman, etc. I know lots of people from Russia, China, Pakistan, LatAm, etc who moved to the US and now have amazing qualities of life because they did this.

A lot of people are coming from places where they may or may not have social strife like the US, but have fewer opportunities all the same.

Old 03-21-2021, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I know lots of people from Russia, China, Pakistan, LatAm
Note how Western Europe isn't part of this list.

Old 03-22-2021, 06:33 AM

24,471 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It is not about helping the economy -- it is about not being a drain on the economy. Someone with half a million-plus is not going to be signing up for food stamps and caresource.
You are confusing Affidavit of Support and investor visas.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You are confusing Affidavit of Support and investor visas.
No, I am not.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:36 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Uhhh, I don’t think so. There are literally millions of illegal aliens in the US that live, work, have tons of children, live here all their lives. They even get welfare, government assistance, free medical care. If I have any advice for the OP, just get here. Once your in, your just about golden. Keep your head down, be the Grey Man. Work for cash, lots of employers, especially in the construction trade, restaurant and agriculture will “look the other way”. They are begging for truck drivers in the US. If you have the money, get a used truck, start a hauling service for cash.
It doesn't work that way. You MUST have a valid social security number to get any kind of government assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration